My C32 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TJC

Car
C32 AMG
Well not sure if i actually did mention it or not , but about a month ago i did a deal on my CL600 AMG and got this C32 AMG.

I had a few minor problems with the 600 but with the help of Dash1 off the forum i managed to sort out most of the issues , and the new owner was fully aware of these as i showed and explained what had been done and pointed him in the direction of the forum , he was more than happy and wanted it for his business, the C32 was not perfect , as its fault was the dreaded 1st to 2nd gear jolt , but after test drive i did not think it was much and deal was done , so on to ownership of my little baby AMG.

As you can see she is a nice little looker , the question was though do i modify or , as there is not many about , especially stock do i leave it , well i have decided to keep original , if i throw loads at it for more power i am never going to get it back even though i would enjoy it , but been there and bought the t-shirt and so will not bother.

First impressions , well its not realy possible to compare with the 600 , totaly different kind of car , but its easier to manage , can get it on my drive easy , will even go in the garage , you can throw it about better , its quicker , drinks more fuel,and i dont get back ache getting in and out , even my wife can drive it easily enough, so to be honest all in all its more suited to me and it certainly puts a smile on my face when having fun.:D

Now onto the gearbox etc , well reading up on it and searching the net i have come to the conclusion thats its more than likely the TCC Lock up clutch Solenoid , and if need be will replace and see how we go , i think the actual gearbox is fine , seems very strong and performs well compared to some i have used in the past , but as a precaution i decided to do a complete service on the engine and box/torque converter, first off changed Engine oil , air filters, oil filter ,plugs , as we can see i think it needed it!

I used Mobil1 0-40 oil.
Had a problem getting car up as the ramps would catch the front valance etc , so to avoid this i purchased a new set of heavy duty ramps with ramp extenders ,these worked brilliantly , and being safety concious i used trolley jack and bottle jacks and axle stands.

Having completed engine , i started on the box/torque converter , oil that came out was very dark brown/red and filter was same , (by the way car was warmed up to allow oil to drop easier)I removed torque converter oil by undoing the Banjo bolt on end of return pipe and running car for a couple of minutes , the oil soon emptied but can be a bit messy.
The oil pan was dirty and the magnets bit sludgy but having a good check i could not see any metal parts etc.All was given a good clean.

All clean now!

Hres a pic of the gearbox oil.

Then put all back together , ran and set level and found car drove/changed gear better , so a week later did the box again , reason being i was thinking that its actually less jerky 1 to 2 , and as i did not want to flush box i used Carlube ATF-U Synthetic(MB236.10) then to run 50 miles then drop it all again then fill with ,
Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 Mercedes MB 236.14 , this has certainly worked a treat , it still does the odd jerk but not harsh ,will see how it goes , it may get worse but worth a shout.
I have the Valeo rad ,made in Poland not the French one , this may of been the initial cause , not sure , to be honest i think torque converter is ok , but again i will decide and see how we go.
Last weekend i decided to clean up engine bay and Supercharger , think it looks sweet now.

Cleaned and feed leather , wheels , interior , underneath also when on ramps.
greased and cleaned brake pipes , .
So far so good , car pulls like a train , defo not limited:D no wonder its got a speedo to 180;) I am going on a bit of a journey weekend , back mid week , will let you know how it goes in her. Tony:cool:

Wow, lovely looking motor buddy, condition from outside looks very, very clean.

Get some autosol on the inlet manifolds and charger, a dremel with buffing pad would be easiest but even done manually they should come up a treat.

I'll be looking for one soon but like you said there are so few about that I might be waiting a while before the spec I want comes up.

Cheers bud , yes i have the kit to do all the manifolds and charger but i have a son who is also a petrolhead and he tends to use my kit , the Autosol was empty so i did it dry , will wait till i have a peaceful weekend to start on it proper:cool:

Here is spec of mine off Mercedes UK,
Equipment features of my car
5-speed automatic transmission
AMG bodystyling
Additional parts for UK vehicles
Anti-theft warning system
Automatic air conditioning
Automatically dimming int.and ext.mirrors
Blue tint.gl.allr./single-l.safety gl.re.win.
Blue tint.gl.allr./single-l.safety gl.re.win.
CD changer, MP3-capable, for 6 CDs
COC paper - no registration certification
Comand control and display system
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Front seat,electr.adjust.left w/memory switch
Harman Kardon® Logic 7® Surround-soundsystem
Headlight cleaning system
Heated front seats
Heated screen wash system
High-capacity battery
Identification label under windshield
Instrument with mileage reading
Interior motion sensor
LINGUATRONIC English
Memory package el.adjust.driver's seat
Mobile phone (Nokia)
Omission of line logo
Outside temperature gauge
Prod. prot. f. freight pkging with tie-down hooks
Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
Technical modifications
Telephone antenna
Through-loading feature
Windscreen wiper with rain sensor
Xenon headlamps f.left-side dr.traffic

Tony

Nice spec list. Haven't seen Harmon Kardon before, I thought Mercs came with Bose setups and HK was on BMW's.

lol at the son using up the autosol. I used to do that to my old man with his tools etc, still do actually and he goes crazy when he can't find them or I have used something up and left empty carton/tube there :).

When you say kit do you mean other solvents? I ask because in the close up of the manifold you can see those dark grey stains that all metal/aluminium gets with age. Will it remove those? If so how do you do it and with what. Using just autosol and elbow grease doesn't take them off as I've tried that with metal bits on my M3 engine bay.

Btw, is it pretty staight forward doing service on these? i.e oil filter in easy reach, spark plugs easy to get to etc... Are there many covers to remove when doing the gearbox oil? Have you done the diff oil? I have done most of the work myself on my M3 so know BMW quite well and would wan to do as much as I can on the C32 as well, just hope it's easy to work on.

Thanks

Kash

Last edited:
amgc32 said:
Nice spec list. Haven't seen Harmon Kardon before, I thought Mercs came with Bose setups and HK was on BMW's.

lol at the son using up the autosol. I used to do that to my old man with his tools etc, still do actually and he goes crazy when he can't find them or I have used something up and left empty carton/tube there :).

When you say kit do you mean other solvents? I ask because in the close up of the manifold you can see those dark grey stains that all metal/aluminium gets with age. Will it remove those? If so how do you do it and with what. Using just autosol and elbow grease doesn't take them off as I've tried that with metal bits on my M3 engine bay.

Btw, is it pretty staight forward doing service on these? i.e oil filter in easy reach, spark plugs easy to get to etc... Are there many covers to remove when doing the gearbox oil? Have you done the diff oil? I have done most of the work myself on my M3 so know BMW quite well and would wan to do as much as I can on the C32 as well, just hope it's easy to work on.

Thanks

Kash

Hi Kash, nothing really difficult, just take time and in order, my best bit of kit is a magnetic dish for nuts bolts etc, saves time looking for that wayward bolt haha. As for panels , the chassis cover panels are easy, just two to remove , everything I have done is on here somewhere posted and on mb.org site, I have not done diff as yet, that's on list, .I believe theses cars suffer from rust, but looking under and around mine it's very clean, only rust is bubbling on the A pillar cover, and only one, so will try and source a replacement, and a small amount of flaky paint/rust under a wheel arch on the leading edge but that can wait a while, apart from that its fine indeed considering its 11 years old. As for my son , haha he moved out with girlfriend last weekend, got a nice place with a garage, all or most of his equipment with him now, so gave more room in mine , hoping to get car in there for winter, will help if I need to work on it . Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

TJC said:
Hi Kash, nothing really difficult, just take time and in order, my best bit of kit is a magnetic dish for nuts bolts etc, saves time looking for that wayward bolt haha. As for panels , the chassis cover panels are easy, just two to remove , everything I have done is on here somewhere posted and on mb.org site, I have not done diff as yet, that's on list, .I believe theses cars suffer from rust, but looking under and around mine it's very clean, only rust is bubbling on the A pillar cover, and only one, so will try and source a replacement, and a small amount of flaky paint/rust under a wheel arch on the leading edge but that can wait a while, apart from that its fine indeed considering its 11 years old. As for my son , haha he moved out with girlfriend last weekend, got a nice place with a garage, all or most of his equipment with him now, so gave more room in mine , hoping to get car in there for winter, will help if I need to work on it . Tony

Forgot to add that I had a dremel but burnt it out I use debur sanders/ wire brush tools that fit on my variable speed drill, looking at them I think it will need to be taken down a bit to smooth off then slowly work to a fine finish, did it once before on a 24v Cosworth , had same type of rough finish to the covers.

How did you get that Supercharger so clean?

also think it might need some lowering ;) Olly, 'BlackC55' is selling some H&R kit!

How did you get that Supercharger so clean?

also think it might need some lowering ;) Olly, 'BlackC55' is selling some H&R kit!

Yes how did you get your Supercharger so clean ??

Well to clean it up i used these items ,

The red thing is a plastic flap wheel , the other two are debur/derust brushes , the lads at work in another department use them on the final stage of the engine block machining (I machine them from raw , they clean them up some more , by the way they are up to V18 cylinder and over 91 litres!) the same items can be had of ebay i think , had a small dremel kit with all the wheels, brushes etc but burnt out the thing some time back ,though those wire brushes were smaller. The smaller metal wire brush one fits neatly into the squares on the SC using a normal elec drill at around 600rpm , the flap wheel over the serial numbers+AMG wording and over the filter boxs's and AMG logo , finish off squares with the longer softer wire brush, then go over all with 3M Scotch Brite , did take me about 1.5 hours , if i were to spend more time and use some Autosol as well , i think i can get it very polished. Like i said previous did this on a 24V Cossie Plenum years back and other engine parts over the years , by the way have some pics of some of my work amassed over the years , what do you think:D

Theres more but i think you get the jist of it , thats why i want to resist the temptation to modify , lowered springs shocks /map/wheels/interior all adds up but you never get the money back:(

Don't get me started on the ZX , had 8 of them over 11 years, if I se a good modified one in the flesh I just want to buy it , very very addictive :)

I have one of these as well and really pleased with her;- came out of and M3 !!
Couple of useful things ;-I changed my brake lines for stainless and changed the pads for EBC yellow stuff leaving the discs as standard;- Brakes are fearsome now!!
I aslo put some of Kilaherts (I Thinks) LED bulbs in and they look great next to the mains. Overall mine seems to have been great no jerks or othe problems ( that will jinx it) Cleaned mine with Zymol ( pics in the detailing section) and now looks the dogs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom