My C36 Bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemc2008

Car
BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
Well.. I guess most are going to be getting pretty fed up of hearing me talking about my C36 bumper by now! haha..

It arrived last Friday and yesterday managed to spend some time working on it. Here below is what I bought, and most would have walked a mile after seeing the photos I was sent, but not me.. I didnt care it had this HUGE amount of damage.

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Soaked all of the screws in WD40 for a couple of days as I knew it would only cause me trouble if I tried to remove them straight away. First removed the damaged centre piece.. in two pieces with the middle bit missing, but pretty sure I am going to be able to modify my standard C280 piece so I'm not worried.

IMG_9941800x600.jpg

The bits on the bottom are what the fog lights were attached to, having a better look before, its a bodged job of riveting a piece of metal to the plastic. (Like the crack!)

To fix the crack I first had to drill out every single rivet, sanded back all of the surrounding paint, got everything nice and smooth inside and out.. holding the crack together I used an epoxy resin to fill the crack and then filled over that with molten plastic and have now smoothed everything back and placed a primer guide coat to see how smooth it all is. On the inside of the bumper I have placed 4 coated of fibreglass and resin to add additional strength.

IMG_9940800x600.jpg

IMG_9939800x600.jpg

Next thing to do is to actually test fit the bumper.. once I'm happy it fits well I'll get it to my friend at bodyshop near Lorrie's house for painting.. :D

I'll keep this thread updated. Might prove useful. :rock:

Looking good! I posted loads about the woes I encountered fitting the AMG kit (in particular the front bumper) to my W203. I didn't have the skill, time or patience to try any of the work myself (except for fitting the side skirts).

Keep us posted on your progress.

That looks great fella !!

Tell me though , did you paint the floor paint around the bags of cement instead of moving them ? :crazy:

Looks good Lee, but is that crack going to stay closed without some metal support.?
Normally a robust mend is made using a plate holes in and puddle bonding it using a proper adhesive, then filling with flexible filler and smoothing down.

Looks good Lee, but is that crack going to stay closed without some metal support?
There seems to be quite a big horizontal lip out of sight underneath - a metal plate (sandwich) there springs to mind for additional strengthening.

Anyway - looks good Lee.

I've used a flexible filler as a skim coat over the top of the final repair, and taken it right back down so the crack is completely un-noticable.. with the repair so far its very strong. I did think about metal plate on both sides, but I'm thinking that after looking and feeling what I've already done its more than strong enough :)

I will attempt a test fit sometime between Thursday and Monday as I have a few days off work.

I'll get some more images up when I can. :)

Thanks for comments so far.

Looks like a good DIY repair if I mst say so Lee, a job well done. Do keep us posted.

Next thing is trying to sort out getting the bumper fitted to the car. So I went and got my jigsaw and did this!

IMG_9946800x600.jpg

So I could get the middle piece out for my C36 bumper.. looking something like this..

IMG_9944800x600.jpg

Obviously had to do a bit of trimming and managed to get the piece to sit in nicely. Using the broken pieces that came with the bumper as as guide I go the piece in the right place, and drilled and screwed to the bumper. Once I was happy with that I fitted the central bumper brackets and test fitted to the car. Unfortunately dark and rainy out so I didnt get a picture but it fits quite well and strong, only problem is that it is sitting too far away from the car.

So.. deciding I wasnt happy with that I turned my attention back to the broken C36 centre pieces, fitting then back on, then with my hacksaw did this.

IMG_9947800x600.jpg

Cut out the very centre piece which with a bit more trimming I'll fit to the side pieces. Girlfriend started bugging me as I've been in the garage all night for the last 3 days! So I've come in now and left it till tomorrow when she wont be here.. :devil:

IMG_9948800x600.jpg

More updates tomorrow.. going to leave work early.. and have the next 5 days off work so I shall definately have it on the car soon!!

Much fun keeping me occupied!

Girlfriend started bugging me as I've been in the garage all night for the last 3 days!

You forgot to fit strong soundproof doors and locks when building that garage. Get it sorted Man.!!:devil:

stevesey said:
Good move only wish my other half would try and lure me in from the garage

Only wish my other half would stop locking me in the garage!!

Ok, so tonight I had to get to try and get the bumper fitted.. didnt want to spend anymore time on the fabrication as I reckoned I could get it painted before Saturday providing I was able to get it to painter tomorrow. :D

Some slight modifications, self tapping screws and some bracketry I finally ended up with this.

IMG_9954800x600.jpg

Here is it me test fitting in on the car. Fitted really well so very happy.. just noticable dip about 5mm lower on the drivers side, however, this was the same with my other bumper and I can see where the mounts have been dent back after an accident so I shall be sorting that out tomorrow and getting them equal..

Here are a couple of quick snapshots to show that it fits nicely.

IMG_9952800x600.jpg

IMG_9951800x600.jpg

Better update once its painted and I start putting the chrome bits back on and getting the fog lights installed and a proper number plate holder.. quite fancy one of those AMG ones to go with my German style plates I just bought. :D

Cheers

Lee

Good job Lee seems to fit nicely, will look amazing once painted and fitted. By the way what happened to your clear front corners ?

Bumper is in colour and fitted.. isnt finished though yet, as the mounting point covers need to be painted and the whole lot needs a proper clear coat/laquer which will be sorted out in the next few weeks.. I cut up the old bumper making this one fit so I have to have it fitted like this for a while which doesnt bother me.. its work in progress! :D

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Looking good Lee, you cant even tell it was ever damaged, top repair job. Must loose the amber corners and side repeaters though as there ageing the car unless ofcourse you prefer them.

Credit to you on what you have done to get that fitted.

Its looking good

Agree with above the yellow indicators needs changing (in my view) :)

Looking good Lee, you cant even tell it was ever damaged, top repair job. Must loose the amber corners and side repeaters though as there ageing the car unless ofcourse you prefer them.

Thanks for the replies..

The indicators and repeaters will be changed to clear, I already have them, except when I wanted to change them yesterday I couldnt find my SilverTec bulbs.. I hate sticking amber bulbs instead clear indicators because you end up with that fryed egg look.. ;)

Thanks for the replies..

The indicators and repeaters will be changed to clear, I already have them, except when I wanted to change them yesterday I couldnt find my SilverTec bulbs.. I hate sticking amber bulbs instead clear indicators because you end up with that fryed egg look.. ;)

Nice choice. Silver tec are the only bulbs i use as i also hate the 'fried egg look'.

looks very good, good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom