My C43 AMG - Upgrade ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gridlock

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 AMG
Hi all,

This is my C43 AMG, Azurite Blue with black leather interior (my preference, the Designo one just isn't my style), in terms of options I've got xenon lights only I think (unless the sunroof is?) and maybe the vanity mirrors? Not sure, Merc options can be weird. I have the nice yellow build document which lists them all, anyway.

OS.jpg

Front34-1.jpg

rear34.jpg

She has the dreaded, patented Mercedes rust appearing on the arches but it's only looking like surface rust and it's going to be taken care of very shortly (or is it worth waiting until I've owned it 6 months in October, and then trying my luck at a dealer?)

Really, really liking driving it, while it's not the insane 600bhp of a later C63 it's not 60 grand either. 135K on the clock (90K motorway in first 3 years, as Merc Bristol's demo then a leaser) but interior looks like half that. 3 owners from new, inc the lease, a co director in Slough and a luxury hire car company (Bentley, Rolls etc) owner.

She's my first Merc, my first RWD car, my first V8, my first car with air con even (Audi Quattros previously). My XJR-owning friend is jealous of the lovely V8 woof even from low revs, which I absolutely love.

What I'm interested in is the little mods that quite a few here seem to have done, like the door kickplates (are these original?), what's the "vanity mirror" mod etc. What does an Avantgarde grill look like?

Only thing I've done so far (other than a complete clay bar and Megs 1..2..3) is fit 2 K&N panel filters.

Any suggestions/questions welcomed.

Ben

Last edited:
Oh, and one quick question - should I use the 1...2..3.. limiters on the gearbox as 'driving aids', or are they like the "Driving Manual" says just for going down hills with a caravan?

I know these 'boxes can be slightly explosive, so just wanted to find out before I start using the 2nd lock to exploit the RWD :D

Edit: Like I said, my first Merc, loved the 3 separate "Driving", "Interior" and "Exterior" manuals, as well as the stern German instructions like "C43 must not be fitted with a towbar".

Last edited:
And w202 electric rear blinds are rare as hen's teeth so if you find one snap it up quick, I'm after one of these myself. Another idea may be to go for W210 mirrors with indicators.....

Car looks nice,

One option I would be tempted with is an electric rear blind.

I looked at (a very shabby) one that had this, and to be honest I couldn't see the attraction - I've never got sunburnt from sitting in the back of a car and from memory it adds a big metal runner up the centre of the screen?

The one option I really do want is parktronic, but I guess retrofitting this is next to impossible?

And w202 electric rear blinds are rare as hen's teeth so if you find one snap it up quick, I'm after one of these myself. Another idea may be to go for W210 mirrors with indicators.....

I'm all about the originality (even the (legal) tints are dealer-supplied, I believe) so not for me - but I can see the attraction.

I looked at (a very shabby) one that had this, and to be honest I couldn't see the attraction - I've never got sunburnt from sitting in the back of a car and from memory it adds a big metal runner up the centre of the screen?
It is entirely concealed in the parcel shelf when closed, on opening two rails fold out and the blind glides up with them.

Have you had a look at what peter C43 has done to his car?. Very subtle but stylish upgrades. With a C43 you want to keep everything as OEM as possible for resale later.

What I'm interested in is the little mods that quite a few here seem to have done, like the door kickplates (are these original?), what's the "vanity mirror" mod etc. What does an Avantgarde grill look like?

See my 'modding' album (linked in my signature) for the Avantgarde grille and stainless steel kickplates. Bought the grille on eBay from a German seller and managed to get the kickplates new from starpartz.co.uk about half the price the dealers charge (£160+). You will find various threads on here covering both items, and probably also the vanity mirror one.

Are your door handles colour-coded - if not, that's another mod you could look at, they transform the look of a silver car, although with your colour it might not be as noticeable.

Hi all,

She has the dreaded, patented Mercedes rust appearing on the arches but it's only looking like surface rust and it's going to be taken care of very shortly (or is it worth waiting until I've owned it 6 months in October, and then trying my luck at a dealer?)

You can try, but will probably struggle to get very far with a claim - 8 years old is usually the limit for full goodwill. I was offered 20% contribution recently for rust under the bonnet (mine is 9 years old), having had full contributions for wheel arches when it was under 8 years.

Yeah, quite like the black handles actually, like you say they work fine on mine and I've made sure they're factory-fresh black instead of Corsa wheel-arch grey :)

What badge should be on my front wings? I have "AMG" ones (that have gone beige).. got a feeling they should be Sport ones though, as this was the spec of the base C Class before AMG did their fiddling? ie carbon interior, b-pillars etc. Oh, and it says Sport on the gearknob.

You can try, but will probably struggle to get very far with a claim - 8 years old is usually the limit for full goodwill. I was offered 20% contribution recently for rust under the bonnet (mine is 9 years old), having had full contributions for wheel arches when it was under 8 years.

Well, worth a shot.

At the very least I can ask for significant discount on replacement wings, maybe.

Hi there - nice car; here's what I put in a earlier thread;

My 2000 Saloon Options (sold)

Paint
Metallic paint £650 (they all had this)
Seating
Illuminated vanity mirrors £80 (think they all had this)
Security and Safety
Exit Lights Front doors £70 (think they all had this_
Headlamp Wash/wipe £310 (legal req with Xenons I think)
Ventilation
Sunroof £1250

List price for saloon was £46,640. Mine had £2360 of options so retailed at around £49,00O (according to that price list).

My 1999 Estate Options (curent)

Paint
Metallic paint £650 (they all had this)
Seating
Illuminated vanity mirrors £80 (think they all had this)
Security and Safety
Auto Dimming mirrors £220
Folding Mirrors £220
Exit Lights Front doors £70 (think they all had this)
Headlamp Wash/wipe £310 (legal req with Xenons)
Rain sensing Wipers £110
Xenons £710

List price for the Estate £49,070. Plus £2370 options equals £51,440 (according to that price list)

Is Azurite Blue metallic or pearlescent? It has a very nice purple shine in direct sunlight, and I've only ever seen the same colour on E-Class cars.

Is Azurite Blue metallic or pearlescent? It has a very nice purple shine in direct sunlight, and I've only ever seen the same colour on E-Class cars.

One my neighbours has an C43 estate in that colour - beautiful.

I'd get rid of the K&N Filters and stick to the MB OEM filters to be honest, nice car by the way.

I'd get rid of the K&N Filters and stick to the MB OEM filters to be honest, nice car by the way.

Thanks

They added a wee bit of extra bass to the induction (and maybe engine note, seeing how they sit flat on top of the block), I've just always fitted K&N to all my cars as I prefer serviceable filters to disposable ones and think they give just that little extra bit of driveability.

Any particular reason you'd swap them though?

Metallic , we have a CLK 430 in that colour ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom