My C63S has downpipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig2003

Car
C63S, Caterham 620R & C230K
I bought a C63S 3 months or so ago and had it in for a service recently. The MB tech pointed out the lack of cats and very decent looking downpipes had been fitted instead.
Would the car have to be remapped to get rid of any fault codes or can the downpipes be fitted as a stand alone modification with no ECU tweaks?

A short video of a cold start, you can hear I hit the loud button right after starting it up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would be asking the person you bought it off for the cats as if you either sell it or god forbid need to claim on insurance then they could well be required.
I can't understand why the seller didn't tell you about the mods?
If bought from a garage then they should be asked about replacing the cats as they should be there.

Sounds Awesome bud , it’s kept the AMG sound but louder, perfect combination imo and I guess you get more pops and bangs too?
On a side note , did you know you can start the car up in loud mode? Press the start button twice, without putting your foot on the brake, you can then select what modes (exhaust/dynamic button) you want before starting.

Last edited:
I have emailed the garage I bought it from and they are on the case now hopefully. I will let my insurance know just to keep things right.

Sounds Awesome bud , it’s kept the AMG sound but louder, perfect combination imo and I guess you get more pops and bangs too?
On a side note , did you know you can start the car up in loud mode? Press the start button twice, without putting your foot on the brake, you can then select what modes (exhaust/dynamic button) you want before starting.
Thanks, I love the noise of it and cheers for the tip regarding pushing the button twice, I didn't know that.
I had a tuned RS4 before this and it is a totally different sound, same volume though

You can't beat that meaty V8 sound through a louder exhaust. Sounds great. I do miss that part of my previous car a little.

What's the Caterham like as a proposition?

I've drove a moderately-powered one (something like 140BHP I think it was) on a Palmersport day a couple of years back and I absolutely loved it - instant correction, get the back out and just an amazing experience).

I just wonder what one running a shade over 310BHP is like - immense fun or a bloody nightmare and far too overpowered?

What's the Caterham like as a proposition?

I've drove a moderately-powered one (something like 140BHP I think it was) on a Palmersport day a couple of years back and I absolutely loved it - instant correction, get the back out and just an amazing experience).

I just wonder what one running a shade over 310BHP is like - immense fun or a bloody nightmare and far too overpowered?

A Caterham is a brilliant proposition, next to no depreciation and the 620R makes even really fast cars seem slow, completely unhinged and as you say immense fun.
Mine has just turned 2 years old and I have managed to rack up 13000 miles, everyone needs a sequential gearbox in their life at some point, flatshifting with no lifting is rather addictive.
Here is a 10 minute video from my last trip home on track at Knockhill, I had my oldest lad down with me so wasn't going too mad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's an interesting thread on here about a 500 bhp plus Caterham Levante:

Caterham trackday terror. Winter Project
The Levante is some machine, I have seen some of Peter's posts elsewhere on the net. There was one came up for sale whilst I was waiting on mine and it did cross my mind about it, maybe a bit too extreme for my first 7 though!

I had visions of it being an absolute pain in the rse but that looks totally composed and in control.

I am tempted by one since I drove that one I mentioned above but strictly as a track-only car.

I have no intention of driving it to work and back!

I also drove a 7 (it was Superlight, IIRC) years ago at a Jonathan Palmer day. Great fun, and I still occasionally think of swapping the SL for one :ban:

I had visions of it being an absolute pain in the rse but that looks totally composed and in control.

I am tempted by one since I drove that one I mentioned above but strictly as a track-only car.

I have no intention of driving it to work and back!
A friend of mine is selling his almost brand new 420R with a six speed manual to upgrade to the 620R, £3k or so off list price and only 240 miles. The good thing about that type of car is you don't have to trailer it to the track

I also drove a 7 (it was Superlight, IIRC) years ago at a Jonathan Palmer day. Great fun, and I still occasionally think of swapping the SL for one :ban:

There are loads of rental companies out there now and that was where I got my first taste of one, the wife and kids gave me a voucher to rent the CSR200 from Highland Caterham Hire. If you can do it I would highly recommend you do, they make every other car seem like a barge no matter how quick it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom