My C63S has downpipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would the car have to be remapped to get rid of any fault codes or can the downpipes be fitted as a stand alone modification with no ECU tweaks?

Back to the original question, can anyone offer a bit of advice regarding the above?
:)

A friend of mine is selling his almost brand new 420R with a six speed manual to upgrade to the 620R, £3k or so off list price and only 240 miles. The good thing about that type of car is you don't have to trailer it to the track
How much is he looking for?

Yes, apologies - I dragged this one miles off topic! :D

A friend of mine is selling his almost brand new 420R with a six speed manual to upgrade to the 620R, £3k or so off list price and only 240 miles. The good thing about that type of car is you don't have to trailer it to the track

If I was going to do it, I'd have to go for the 620R as well I think. I like the idea of a moderately-powered one but they look so controllable from your video.

True on the trailer except if you prang it of course!

Back to the original question, can anyone offer a bit of advice regarding the above?
:)

If you still have lambda sensors and are removing these, you might find an error flagged up and so they can be coded out.

If the CATs are already gone, I would have thought you'd be getting errors already from what I've seen so this may have already been done.

Yes, apologies - I dragged this one miles off topic! :D

If I was going to do it, I'd have to go for the 620R as well I think. I like the idea of a moderately-powered one but they look so controllable from your video.

True on the trailer except if you prang it of course!

If you still have lambda sensors and are removing these, you might find an error flagged up and so they can be coded out.

If the CATs are already gone, I would have thought you'd be getting errors already from what I've seen so this may have already been done.

I have just spoken with MB as the car is in with them, it has indeed been mapped but they have had to revert it back to standard to allow the computer to update the gearbox software, so I will need to do a fresh remap when I get it back. Will I have to go back to a mapper or can it be done as a plug and play type thing through the post?

As for the Caterham you feel everything as you are sitting on the back wheels pretty much so as soon as it starts to step out it is instantly felt and easy to hold in check, 3/4 of a turn from centre to full lock makes it very easily controlled.
I am insured for 5 track days per year and that includes recovery

A better sound in this video of the Caterham, no roll cage, new to the track and I think it was my 2nd outing in it at Knockhill so a little bit slower than I have been this year

Enjoy :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have just spoken with MB as the car is in with them, it has indeed been mapped but they have had to revert it back to standard to allow the computer to update the gearbox software, so I will need to do a fresh remap when I get it back. Will I have to go back to a mapper or can it be done as a plug and play type thing through the post?

If the car's been mapped and it has no cats, then the map will have taken this into account and switched the downstream sensor off. Once MB revert it back to a standard configuration then you will be getting a warning light. Can you find out who did the mapping originally? This would make life a whole lot easier for you as they will have a copy of it somewhere in their system. If not, I'd be looking for someone to have a look at it, though not sure of anyone as far North as you are. I know that Wallace Performance in Aberdeen were popular at one stage but they're no longer trading as far as I'm aware.

As for mapping through the on board diagnostic port, Acid at MSL Performance would be able to answer this, and supply the necessary kit, if it's available for your car. I know it could be done this way on the W204 but I don't know about yours.

Thanks for that, I have sent MSL an email and will report back when they reply.
I have also spoken with the garage that sold the car to me to get them to contact the previous owner both for the cats and to find out where it was mapped.

Wallace performance used to do the mapping on my Evo's, a guy called Russ Paton that now works for RA Motorsport in Perth so I may take a trip down to see him, he is very very good at that sort of stuff

Thanks for that, I have sent MSL an email and will report back when they reply.

Good luck with getting a reply via email. :) Try Acid (owner) on his mobile: 07765 444447

Wallace performance used to do the mapping on my Evo's, a guy called Russ Paton that now works for RA Motorsport in Perth so I may take a trip down to see him, he is very very good at that sort of stuff

Heard a lot of good about him though, as I have no personal experience, could not recommend. He seems to know his stuff though from what I've read.

Good luck with getting a reply via email. :) Try Acid (owner) on his mobile: 07765 444447
Much appreciated for the number, I will message him just now.

The down pipes are proper quality items and along with a map there can't be too many companies out there that would do that work. I may have to start ringing round with the original number plate to try and track it that way if I get no joy with Acid

I can't add anything further to what Dave has posted although I second ringing Acid. The guy's a touch busy at times. :D

You should be able to get it remapped for free if someone has paid to have it done previously - or perhaps a nominal charge.

If you get nowhere - get Acid to do it again as he should be able to do the remap again if required.

As for the Caterham you feel everything as you are sitting on the back wheels pretty much so as soon as it starts to step out it is instantly felt and easy to hold in check, 3/4 of a turn from centre to full lock makes it very easily controlled.

I am insured for 5 track days per year and that includes recovery

Yes, I remember this from the one I drove at Palmersport. I think it might have been 170BHP but was definitely 140BHP if not. Immense fun and highly addictive.

Insurance is a good call - that makes things a bit easier.

That last video really demonstrates that amazing sound. I'm not keen on 4 pots but that one with the blower sounds great.

I think my only comment was "F, that shifts!" as I am sure Mrs John will testify.

You know some one lives waaaay up North when they say 'I might take a drive down to Perth' :) Down my way people are scared to go north of Gloucester as 'there be dragons up there boi' :eek:

I moved south to Inverness :D The only dragon type thing we have up there is the infamous Loch Ness Monster, be careful standing on the Lochs shore as it has been know to eat a tourist or two :)

I have spoken to Acid and will take the trip south to have it mapped again, he has said I can expect between 600 & 630 bhp and the next step after that would be having the turbos rebuilt to get somewhere in the region of 750, something to bear in mind for the future due to time constraints with work.
There is no facility at present to do the tuning on a W205 via the OBD port so it'll be an ECU out job.

I knew it felt a lot faster than the quoted MB figures as I drove it and a brand new M3 back to back and the difference in grunt was huge

I made the trip down to MSL when I was at home and delighted with the results. It did 618 bhp and 703 foot lbs.
It needs new front pads now, any ideas where to go for them?

I made the trip down to MSL when I was at home and delighted with the results. It did 618 bhp and 703 foot lbs.
It needs new front pads now, any ideas where to go for them?

Nice result. Should have had the pads done whilst you were there really but hindsight is a wonderful thing. :)

Apparently MB Grangemouth offer good discounts to forum members, albeit normally the "other" forum. Certainly worth a try, especially if you're fitting them yourself...

I never even gave the brakes a thought when I was down there. The check brake pad level warning came up just the other day after I had been down to MSL.
Is it best to stick with the MB pads or are there better options out there?
I have used DS2500's a few times in the past and really liked them but not sure how they would be on the C63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom