My camera died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Six year old Canon Powershot G9 ... an expensive 'premium' compact. Never dropped or abused in any way, shot just under 4600 frames in total.

Working fine a week ago, pulled it out to get some pics. of my S203 de-badging handiwork last night and the lens only came out halfway then it shut down. Turned off and on and it powered up, but with low battery warning (was fully charged last week) and I noticed the camera was rather hot :eek: Pulled the battery out and that was toasty as well.

Let it all cool down and re-charged the battery, camera turns on but the imaging sensor/processor has clearly had it as the image displayed on the screen starts flickering/wavering/changing colour then goes completely black after a couple of seconds. The screen itself is fine as menus etc. display normally.

After a quick Google I found plenty of posts out there - G9s requiring PCB/processor replacement. Some done under warranty, a few more than once!

Pretty disappointed, didn't expect this from a Canon. Been taking pictures since the 1960s (I started young ;)), digital since 2001, and I don't think I've ever had a camera totally fail before.

I will ask, but I suspect it will be £150-£200 for a repair ... and you can get a brand new G15 for £300.

Pretty disappointed, didn't expect this from a Canon. Been taking pictures since the 1960s (I started young ;)), digital since 2001, and I don't think I've ever had a camera totally fail before.

I've been underwhelmed by the G9 and G10. Capable of producing decent results but with caveats and they pull the con of being a P&S internals with a decent case, decent LCD, some extra controls, a fairly poor viewfinder, and a hotshoe and noisy little sensor.

I still have my G10 and I think it continues to function just in order to taunt me - because it knows it's not qujite the pocketable camera I really want - the moment it expires I'm going to look at micro a 4/3 compact Oly, Fuji, Pansonic, or possibly Sony RX100.

Ironically one of the photiographs that I've had requests from friends for prints to mount on their walls comes from the G10 and would be next to impossible to have shot with a larger sensor camera. I think it managed that just to rub it in that it has some unique attributes - ie. just to taunt me.

Might be the excuse you need to buy a Fuji X100S ;).

Sony RX100 is a possibility ... might be able to pick one up cheap as I'm not that bothered about the new "II" version.

Canon G1X is nice but a bit bulky and poor macro. I want a short zoom with 28 or (ideally) 24mm equiv. at the wide end, and a built-in flash. Not interested in interchangeable lenses (I have a DSLR for that), large sensor preferred. Can live without an optical viewfinder.

Been eyeing up the Ricoh GR for aerial photography, so one option would be to buy one of those to replace the Sony DSC-WX1 I use currently, freeing up the Sony to use as a carry-round camera for now.

I've been underwhelmed by the G9 and G10. Capable of producing decent results but with caveats and they pull the con of being a P&S internals with a decent case, decent LCD, some extra controls, a fairly poor viewfinder, and a hotshoe and noisy little sensor.

I was pretty happy with the G9 considering it was a six year old camera and technology has moved on a lot since then. The sensor was ok up to ISO 400 (although I shot on 80 the majority of the time) ... biggest restriction for me was the 35mm equiv. wideangle (often not quite wide enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom