My Camera is dead, Looking at a compact for around £150

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by A210AMG, Jun 9, 2011.

1. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Hello

My trusty Fuji Bridge camera I think after 4.5years of hard service has taken its last picture :( Its comig on but blue screen, tried all sorts but aving none of it. I think it must have taken litterally 1000's maybe 10,000 pictures so its done well. Its been in sand, water, bottom of the pram regularly, dropped etc etc... It will be missed.

Anyway rather than upgarde mine as not sure what I want, Mrs A210 has a little samsung compact. So I thought we would upgrade this for now.

These are the two I like, the first as I have already had a Fuji and been very impressed with it, also I like the idea of the 15x Optical zoom and panaramic modes.. The Panasonic my brother and a few frineds have, different models within the range and have been impressed.

1) FinePix F300EXR (from Fuji on line refurb = £120 !!)

https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/advanced-compact/finepix-f300exr

2) Panasonic - DMC-FS16 (or similar)

Cameras & Camcorders > Compact Digital Cameras > DMC-FS16 - Panasonic Online Shop

Ideally I would like to spend no more than £150 however if there is a 'must have' for a bit more I can find some pennies under the seat :)

Thanks in advance

2. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Panasonic.

3. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Any reason ^ better features, quality? etc

I've been so impressed with my Fuji but then by brothers impressed with Panasonic :)

4. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    There are better Panasonic models for that kind of money - the DMC-FS16 is more like a £100 model on the street.

Pansonic TZ10 has been very well regarded in the £200'ish sector for a while and has a better lens. It's available close to your price target if you look on the net.

If you're willing to buy via the internet and spend a bit more then I'd be looking at the Fuji F500 as well. I think you'll find both it and the TZ10 are into a higher tier as regards lens quality.

If you like Fuji then I'd stick with them just because the control logic and terminology will generally be a similar flavour. Also IMO Fuji make some of the best small sensors.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Correct the Pansonic model number was a guide, seems so many similar numbers :)

Thanks

6. s500colin

s500colin MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S 500L / Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 50th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Hi
    Another vote for the Pansonic TZ10 its really worth stretchng the budget for
    I know several people who have brought these and they all have been impressed

7. GordonTarling

GordonTarling MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
    Though more than you want to pay, I bought a Panasonic LX-3 around 18 months ago and have been VERY impressed with its performance - photos come out clear and sharp when my Canon SLR would have struggled. It's absolutely BRILLIANT! I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the Panasonics.

8. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Given the mishaps that have befallen your old camera , you might want to have a look at some of the newer cameras which are waterproof , shockproof , impact resistant etc - examples include the Olympus Tough series , Pentax Optio W series , and Fuji have some new models out - several such cameras are in your specified price range .

All these cameras will take 'reasonable' but unremarkable pictures , probably only in JPEG format .

When the time comes to look for something better there are now lots of 'enthusiast' compact cameras in the £300-£500 range which will take much better pictures but not something you would want to take to the beach etc .

9. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ good call the fact it's been in several beaches, dropped, rained on etc actually makes me think it must have been pretty good to last over 4 years :)

For my next camera I would be looking at either a Dslr or another bridge but higher model.

This one we want easy to Cary round but still take good pictures with a decent usable zoom (mainly for our zoo trips)

Think I will search the web

The tz10 and the Fuji seem to tick most boxes

10. Benzmanc

Benzmanc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
    I have a TZ10 which is superb especially the geotagging and the HD video. Although the gps function can eat battery life.

Daz

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  11. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg Active Member

Car:
    S 350 BlueTech L AMG Sport Edition ( sold), Audi A8 Black edition
    I'd agree with the 'rugged' camera approach.

Quality is ok , much better than a few years ago

Sand can kill your camera in an instant - and it won't get fixed under warranty

12. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    I have a Panasonic FS7 which I took to Sri Lanka with me in January. I also had a Pentax Optio W80 for the Maldives bit of the trip. IMO the Pentax is great underwater but not as good as the Panasonic on land, picture quality just wasn't in the same league. However I have had the Panasonic a lot longer and use it at work a lot so familiarisation may have a lot to do with it too.
    The 2 on land photos were taken at max zoom x4, so not too bad I think. Even those with DSLR's didn't get these shots due to being too busy with lens selection. The opportunity was missed, especially the eagle attacking the wild dog eating a deer.

The TZ10 is a much more powerful beast than my little point and shoot but I love my Panasonic. I've had it for nearly 3 years, during which time it has been offshore, on building sites, up wind turbines, dropped a few times onto metal decking (1 metre or so). It looks a bit tatty now but it is still going strong, simple to use, so simple I bought a newer model for the wife who is not very technical at all. In fact it has now swayed me to recently purchase the DMC-G2 as my first foray into more complex kit, the menu is pretty much the same and I can't wait to go to Kenya in January.

P1070486 compress.jpg

P1070503 Compressed.jpg

IMGP0324.JPG

13. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    I've been looking at the Pentax range of rugged cameras... played with one in India and was very impressed... sadly, it wasn't mine :p

I tend to kill my compact cameras within 6-12 months of buying them... most of my photography is done in very dusty environments!

M.

14. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Looking at the panasonic DMC 18 and Fuji 550

I've decided £200 - £250 gets a lot more and I like the idea of a 12 or 16x zoom

15. developer

developer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    My TZ-10 is very good at all it does.

Check that the zoom operates in video mode - cheaper models don't.

16. Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
    I am in a similar position and am considering the following two models from Jessops

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS14 and the Canon IXUS 117 HS

At the moment I am leaning towards the Canon, only because I have a Canon SLR and am very happy with it and my brother has an Ixus and is also very happy with it, but I would welcome some more substantial advice.

What is appealing about the Lumix is the price of £100, down from £240.

The Canon 117 is a Jessops exclusive, but appears much the same as the 115, does anyone know if there is a difference?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  17. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ignore this. It's nonsense. It doesn't look like it was ever worth anything like that.

Jessops do deals with distributors so they get some models exclusively. Usually low end. Then they can claim any alleged RRP they like. Some people do get attracted by the idea of a 'discount' on cameras and laptops and totally miss the underlying value.

Look at the actual value of the item and not the alleged discount.

18. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    According to there website the Canon is exclusive to them too.:) I like my Lumix FS7, it's great as a simple point and shoot compact, good quality pictures, simple to use, idiot proof really that's why I bought the FS9 for SWMBO.:D

19. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Oooh, while looking at this I noticed that pentax released the WG-1, an update to the W90... time for a new camera methinks :D

20. Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
    Just to make things a little more complex, this Canon looks a good one too:

Canon Ixus 220 HS