My Cancer Story - To help others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bruce, good to see you posting again, and getting over the medications.

I trust the plan is now to get fitter and stronger for some good spannering when the weather becomes less oppressive in our part of the country.

Well what great news Bruce,I have to confess,I have been a bit of a wimp,over the last few weeks, I have just been looking to see if you were online and not seeing you thinking the worst,so it is with great relief that I have since early morning read the last four pages of this thread,to arrive here thankful you have come through your illness and it's side effects,I wish you and your family all the best.

Bruce, so pleased to hear the positive news. You are a great inspiration to all of us.

I met you briefly at BOTG alongside your Wonderful Green Machine.

Well folks I am just back from my PET scan, they found two cats, a white rabbit and next doors dog that has been missing for six months. The whole experience was pretty good until I got back to the car park. With ticket in hand I approach the pay station armed with a fiver to discover it only takes change and I have not a penny in change, my thinking being going for a scan so take as little with you as you can. I even left my phone at home and cut the metal ends off my trackie bottoms pull cord.
So there am I with my arthritic knees facing a fair old walk for change and it is starting to rain :wallbash: as I turn to walk away a very nice young lady who was behind me smiled and said here you go I have plenty of change so I offered her the fiver thinking she would change it for me :) She took the ticket of me stuck it in the machine followed by £1.50 gave me the ticket back and said can't have you stuck in here all day and refused to take my fiver at any price. I mean how nice can people get, the fiver will now go in the Christie Hospital charity box in my local this evening, just an amazingly kind thoughtful total stranger.

Nice to see you posting again Bruce and even better to hear that your latest news is so positive. Note, not referring to your car park experience uplifting though it was.

Update:

I am now "clean" weaned off the Fentanyl and happy to report that the dreadful withdrawal (from Fentanyl) is behind me. This took two weeks and felt like a lifetime as went I through it. Just being able to to focus on something that is not drug/cancer related was impossible. But now I can and it feels great.

My advice to anybody who is prescribed this drug in any form? Is to think very carefully about the impact of stopping it (and you will at some point have to do that) Read up on Google on Fentanyl and it's addictive qualities you will get the gist of why I urge caution with this drug.

I hope to start returning to my "norm" and getting involved in things again. I have missed some of the banter on here but have not felt able to contribute in any useful manner.

Thank you again to all wh took time to reach out to me and my family and offer support and love. I keep saying it: But it does make such a huge positive difference to us.

XX

Bruce

Hi Bruce, good to hear from you and that some normality has returned. I had my first chemo treatment on Wednesday and it went much better than I expected. I was lying there watching the drip, waiting for any of the side effects to hit me, all I had was a very mild head ache for half an hour.

Keep well mate and thanks for the support from you and the girls.

Update:

I am now "clean" weaned off the Fentanyl and happy to report that the dreadful withdrawal (from Fentanyl) is behind me. This took two weeks and felt like a lifetime as went I through it. Just being able to to focus on something that is not drug/cancer related was impossible. But now I can and it feels great.

My advice to anybody who is prescribed this drug in any form? Is to think very carefully about the impact of stopping it (and you will at some point have to do that) Read up on Google on Fentanyl and it's addictive qualities you will get the gist of why I urge caution with this drug.

I hope to start returning to my "norm" and getting involved in things again. I have missed some of the banter on here but have not felt able to contribute in any useful manner.

Thank you again to all wh took time to reach out to me and my family and offer support and love. I keep saying it: But it does make such a huge positive difference to us.

XX

Bruce

I think that is what Prince O/D'd on so it must be quite addictive...

Great to hear you are making good progress.

Mate of mine was on Fentanyl for a while after a triple heart bypass. If I attempted to write his comments about that devils brew, the Scunthorpe filter would run out of asterisks!!

Good to hear both of you making progress, long may it continue!

Hi bruce, you're doing great & an inspiration...keep on trucking mate .
I want to hear some more about the dogs etc, I have a little battle with my Whippet pup (10yrs old ) poor little sod. Its good to hear from a animal lover & general all round good egg ...& yes Bruce that is YOU!!

Hey Bruce, just noticed that one of your daughters has a couple of Irish fothers in her name - is that an Irish connection (my SWMBO is from Cork) or, like our first granddaughter Eowyn (can't do the fother on the E) something to do with Lord of the Rings (which our son told us is where they got the name!).

Hey Bruce, just noticed that one of your daughters has a couple of Irish fothers in her name - is that an Irish connection (my SWMBO is from Cork) or, like our first granddaughter Eowyn (can't do the fother on the E) something to do with Lord of the Rings (which our son told us is where they got the name!).

Chris

My wife is from Irish parents and I am a Scot. So we went with Celtic names and neither my daughters or us have ever regretted that [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi bruce, you're doing great & an inspiration...keep on trucking mate .
I want to hear some more about the dogs etc, I have a little battle with my Whippet pup (10yrs old ) poor little sod. Its good to hear from a animal lover & general all round good egg ...& yes Bruce that is YOU!!

French

Thank you for your kind words.

Re’ the dogs. They are both rescued Siberian Huskies. A pure white bitch - Mischa and a biscuit boy - Loki.

We have had Huskies for twenty + years now and love the breed. My kids have never known a day without them.

Rescuing is (for us) a ‘no brainer’ sadly kennels are full of huskies bought as “fashion” dogs, then tossed out when they don’t perform to order.

Chris
My wife is from Irish parents and I am a Scot. So we went with Celtic names and neither my daughters or us have ever regretted that [emoji3]

Your daughter may regret it when trying to explain the spelling of her first name on the phone! We have enough problems with the last 2 letters of our surname being LE not EL, I have no idea how a bank, credit card mob etc would react to 2 fothers on her christian name(for those who do not understand, a fother is like the acute accent in French, a bit like a forward slash in a www address but shorter and above the letter).

Bruce, I've followed your story and have been willing you through every step - as I know most others have. It's always good to see you posting and great to hear that you are now over the worst, and can hopefully start to enjoy relative 'normality'! I know from experience that when you are seriously ill, you just want to get back to all the mundane little things that constitute everyday life - things that you don't even think about when you are well, but appreciate so much more when you've been in a bad situation. Looking forward to hearing about your dogs, I love Huskies and would be tempted myself but don't think my Australian Cattle dogs would be as keen :D. Best wishes, Gill

Bruce, I've followed your story and have been willing you through every step - as I know most others have. It's always good to see you posting and great to hear that you are now over the worst, and can hopefully start to enjoy relative 'normality'! I know from experience that when you are seriously ill, you just want to get back to all the mundane little things that constitute everyday life - things that you don't even think about when you are well, but appreciate so much more when you've been in a bad situation. Looking forward to hearing about your dogs, I love Huskies and would be tempted myself but don't think my Australian Cattle dogs would be as keen :D. Best wishes, Gill

Gill

What a lovely post. Thank you for taking time to sit down a write it. As with all these posts, they make a huge positive difference.

Your post shows an insight into illness and it’s effects. So I hope that my reply finds you well?

The Huskies are just great. They sense the illness and behave sympathetically towards it and me.

Thank you again.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom