My Cancer Story - To help others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bruce, 

I don't often visit this part of the forum, and have only just read through this thread. I was aware of your past battles and am truly humbled to read your update and saddened in equal measure. 

We did meet briefly at the last BOTG...I was perched next to you during the auction. I recall you buying a necklace for your wife! 

Whatever the future holds, you strike me as a man who will make the very best of whatever life throws his way. I truly hope that you are able to move ahead and enjoy life to the full, whatever the future holds. I understand your decision to take quality over quantity. Again, to be able to do that is the strength and sign of a true giant. 

Fate and life can be so cruel, but it is stories of courage such as yours which will undoubtedly help others in their time of need, should they find themselves faced with a similar battle in their lives. Your thread on here is truly inspirational to others who may face a similar challenge one day.

I very much look forward to seeing you at BOTG next year, and admiring your W124 estate! 

Ed

Ed

What a kind post. Thank you. Yes I did bid on and buy my wife a bracelet that was made by DRUK’s sister, so great sentimental value to us both.

I hope to see you at the next BOTG and have my 124 with me (currently undergoing a gearbox rebuild)

Take care and thanks again for your kind words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I go away for a short break to come back to this awful news from you,I wish I was some kind of wordsmith able to say what I feel,I know you will be at BOTG and I look forward to being in your company again.

For a number of reasons I don’t get to come on the forum too often, however, and, I know little/nothing about you illness, I want you to know that I am completely humbled by your strength in adversity, and trust that this strength will see you though to many more years with family friends and forum members.

For a number of reasons I don’t get to come on the forum too often, however, and, I know little/nothing about you illness, I want you to know that I am completely humbled by your strength in adversity, and trust that this strength will see you though to many more years with family friends and forum members.
Never fear , Brucie boy will be around for many years. He`s just bought more spanners! That boy has more tools than the Snap-on salesmen. He has to now get to use them all ( when he`s not bloody polishing them and tidying his workshop).

I will gladly second the above post........... Bruce just needs more tools and his 124 finished and maybe even more tools to keep him busy. I had my sixth round of chemo yesterday, hopefully it will be the last. I am having a pet scan sometime early January so fingers crossed for a good outcome, should that not be the case I will draw on Bruce's inspirational story once again and continue on the journey.
Thinking of you Bruce

Tricky

To be honest the GP was amazed when he first saw me just a few weeks after surgery. He was genuinely shocked at my diagnosis and subsequent surgery. He was very clearly uncomfortable with the un-asked question.

I had by then be told that my Cancer was not recent and maybe as old as several years. That would pre-date this GP.

Having survived the surgery (which at one point was more likely to kill me than the cancer) I have no desire to have a fight. He called it wrongly, others would have done the same. If every patient who has sore guts requests a scan the system would collapse. So I guess in some respects GP's see themselves as gatekeepers for the NHS funds. I have previously experienced reluctance with GP's to give private referrals. I think they see it as a failure on their part as opposed to a second opinion being sought.

Hopefully my GP has learned from this. I have and continue to do so. Every day is different now. I have had to re-learn how to swallow and eat normally as well as come to terms with having a drastically different anatomy (I have to wear tags). The chemo is way beyond being tired for me. So time for arguments is gone. I have to look forward.

You were very lucky Bruce, no question about it !!! Getting it all sorted in a short space of time, was a deciding factor in your survival. Having said that, even with the best cancer team in the world, using the most advanced equipment and drugs, a lot still depends on the individual, and how they react when they are given the dreaded news, so your survival owes a lot to your inner strength and resilience. Without it, the outcome may have been very different. Congratulations on winning the fight, and long may you enjoy the victory.

That’s the most feared word in the world. CANCER.
My 63 yr old brother is now in late stages with no more treatments available to him , and my son in law started his chemotherapy last Monday , so it’s hard times for us here , but I am a great believer in
talking and being open helps .
So to you sufferers who speak about it , it does help others
So well done.

You were very lucky Bruce, no question about it !!! Getting it all sorted in a short space of time, was a deciding factor in your survival. Having said that, even with the best cancer team in the world, using the most advanced equipment and drugs, a lot still depends on the individual, and how they react when they are given the dreaded news, so your survival owes a lot to your inner strength and resilience. Without it, the outcome may have been very different. Congratulations on winning the fight, and long may you enjoy the victory.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might want to read post #382 in this thread, chap.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might want to read post #382 in this thread, chap.
I missed that post John,,am very sorry to hear that Bruce's cancer is back..having said that, what I said in my earlier post still applies. Bruce is a fighter, and he will not go quietly into the night !!! My Prayers are with him.

Bruce. That was such a heart tugging read.

I can only echo some of the lovely comments that others have previously stated. You're a very decent and such a strong person. Wishing you all the best.

Well I’m still here and still seeing some signs of “recovery”. We thank each and every one of you for your kind comments and thoughts. Believe me, they help.

I am now almost drug free with the (by exception) liquid morphine doses.

I am still planning to make BOTG this year. However progress on my 124 is at a halt and a fear may remain like this.

That will not stop us attending but would be a massive blow. I miss the car [emoji25]

Hi Bruce, every time I read this thread and your responses a particular image comes to mind. We've never met but the image in my noddle is of a Crusader knight in full regalia, battling the evil one that is cancer.

Keep yer guard up matey and we'll all say hello at BOTG.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you,

Dave

Well I’m still here and still seeing some signs of “recovery”.

I am now almost drug free with the (by exception) liquid morphine doses.

That will not stop us attending but would be a massive blow. I miss the car [emoji25]

Even without the car, perhaps you could cycle there instead? Be like Lance Armstrong - look what he did!

I think it was disgusting how everyone treated Lance Armstrong especially what he achieved winning the Tour de France 7 times whilst on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my f*#kin bike.

Having not been on the forum for a long long time, I'd just say that my Russian father in law had a very similar situation. His entire stomach was removed in the 1980's in Moscow. His refusal to give up then (he built a dacha when convalescing post op) was a major factor in his survival. He is 89 now. He was 14 in 1942 in Moscow (working in a factory) when the German's were pretty close. He made it through. So can can you. Good luck. Les

Well folks l have good news from the hospital, the tissue mass has gone from my chest wall but left me with some scarring and a small harmless pocket of pleural fluid. The six rounds of chemo seems to have worked for me, I am now on a two monthly dose of Retuximab maintenance treatment for two years. The results
Of the trials for this are very positive in terms of keeping the remission in check. Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Tricky

Well folks l have good news from the hospital, the tissue mass has gone from my chest wall but left me with some scarring and a small harmless pocket of pleural fluid. The six rounds of chemo seems to have worked for me, I am now on a two monthly dose of Retuximab maintenance treatment for two years. The results
Of the trials for this are very positive in terms of keeping the remission in check. Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Tricky

Great news - long may it continue!

Glad to hear all is going well. :)

Hey Bruce, ive only just managed to catchup on this, sorry to hear about it coming back but also fingers crossed it stays as is and there are many more BOTG years for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom