My Cancer Story - To help others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had an allogeneic stem cell transplant - aka bone marrow transplant - from an anonymous donor.

The procedure involves several month of chemotherapy aimed at reducing the size of the tumors, followed by heavy chemotherapy just before the transplant - essentially killing off most of your remaing blood cells to make room for the new stem cells.

The result is that I now have new blood... which isn't mine.

My blood has my donor's DNA while the rest of me has my original DNA. Which is weird...

Does having differing DNA have any implications in the future?

Quite incredible really.

Does having differing DNA have any implications in the future?

The doctors say not really.... :confused:

My immune system remains 'not normal' and they said that they sometime see in post-transplant patients 'things they shouldn't have'... whatever this means. :eek:

Does not feel any different though :D

Life goes on.... :thumb:

The doctors say not really.... :confused:

My immune system remains 'not normal' and they said that they sometime see in post-transplant patients 'things they shouldn't have'... whatever this means. :eek:

Does not feel any different though :D

Life goes on.... :thumb:

Might make an interesting twist in a whodunnit :)

I wish you the very best. You have had a long and hard battle over a considerable period.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have been living with the most common of male cancer,that of the prostate for many years. It is said most men die with prostate cancer not of it as it is very common in old age. I however was diagnosed well over 20 years ago in my 40's but touch wood have pretty well fought it to a standstill at present. I've had poor consultants and brilliant ones but I would simply urge anyone with any symptoms to see their GP asap,don't die of ignorance.

Update:

I saw my Oncologist yesterday for the results of my most recent CT scan.

I am, as of now, officially cancer free.

This is my second scan along with biopsies (numerous) that have given me the all clear. My chemo failed when my body rejected it three weeks in. I was simply to weak and to underweight for them to risk continuing with the chemo. So now I go onto a regime of quarterly scans. My chances are good given the successful surgery and pathology results along with the extensive chemo and subsequent all clear.

Yesterday I had my throat stretched in London Bridge Hospital. This stretches the scar tissue and allows me to eat comfortably. That was a success. I tested this out by the well established medical principal, known to most as a stonking take-away curry. This was my first in eight months and I loved it. I managed only a small amount, due to only having a small stomach now, but it was heavenly.

So Christmas in the Millar household is just brilliant.

My thanks to every single one of you who thanked me and wished me well - it worked. To all who have involvement in this dreadful disease, I wish you the very best in your fight or the fight with your loved ones.

Please feel free to PM me, or respond to this post if you want any further info. I will happily help in any way that I can.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Delighted for you Bruce!

Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

I'm so pleased for you its one hell of a journey and battle you have faced and conquered and your story and diary must be a great inspiration to others facing a similar battle

Glad it's all worked out well and I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy healthy and prosperous new year

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

What a great Christmas present Bruce, and may you enjoy the good health to see many, many more.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :thumb:

Fantastic news.

It takes a while to sink in. I treated myself to fish and chips on Whitby seafront once I was eating again. A splendid day was had. You know the false summit feeling, you top out and everything opens up around you? and then it happens again just that bit further up your hill, new vistas just appear. Enjoy it, I did.

Congratulations again.

Great news Bruce. Very happy for you, and your family. This will be a great Christmas for you all.

Amazing news for you and your family Bruce. The very best of wishes to you and yours over this period.

Hi Bruce I have been following your post... and just want to wish you and your family a very happy Christmas and very best wishes for 2015...

There is a big push (lacks funding) to get chemotherapy to only attack Cancer and stop it attacking everything. That would be brilliant if successful. I found the chemo worse than the cancer and surgery. Eventually my body simply rejected it and I collapsed multiple times.

I want my dosh to go to research into improving chemotherapy.

Chemo was tough. The amazing thing is that we survive that level of poisoning at all. it's a year since I had any and I am still ******ed. Can't do a days work. Bummer, but better than the alternative.

Well done Bruce, and finisterre, and anyone else reading this that has been through the same.

It's a tough gig but we are all behind you.

Keep positive.

Great news Bruce - I'm chuffed for you.

If nothing else, this cancer crap I've been personally affected by for over 6 years has made me appreciate things a lot more and get on with enjoying life.

My dad refers to chemo as 'brake fluid' and according to my mum - it is cold as it goes in which must feel odd...

Great news Bruce - I'm chuffed for you.

If nothing else, this cancer crap I've been personally affected by for over 6 years has made me appreciate things a lot more and get on with enjoying life.

My dad refers to chemo as 'brake fluid' and according to my mum - it is cold as it goes in which must feel odd...

John

I have a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) in my upper arm. That goes straight into my heart. This means I do not have to endure the endless rounds of giving blood through a syringe etc. All injections (either giving blood or chemo or anesthetic) are given by connecting to this line. Makes things very simple and painless. The line is simply taped inside my upper arm and hidden from view until it is required.

Yes the drugs that go in usually are kept cold and you can feel the initial chill. In my chemo they also made your pee go red. This makes for fun in the pub loo.

This post was deleted at the request of MercedesDriver.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was/is a very legitimate question. Post it back I will try to answer it. No need to remove it. All treatment should be considered and discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom