My car is quicker than the new M5 and SL63!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jumperjohn

Car
E500 5.5 V8 Estate!
.........and could almost keep up with a Ferrari 599 GTB!

It's not quicker in the 0-60 mph times or top speed but quicker in the most important and often forgotten 50-70mph times.

As per Autocar testing, 50-70 mph is recorded in top gear (*kickdown with an automatic) and demonstrates a car's flexibility.

My car 5.5 V8 388bhp
50-70 = *3 seconds :D

BMW M5
6.4 s

Mercedes SL63 AMG
8.7 s

SL65 Black
6.0 s

Porsche Panamera 4.8 Turbo
13.5 s :dk:

Ferrari 599 gtb
2.6 s

I guess cars with turbos need a few gear changes when overtaking, if you don't fancy the hassle just buy a big naturally aspired engined car!

I wonder why 50-70 mph times are often left out of literature, these must be the most important to safely overtake.

Surely the Panamera one is a misprint?

I always remember feeling smug that my T5R was faster than a Ferrari 512 between 50 and 70mph

Hope I am not putting a damper on things but according to Fast Saloons the 50-70 for E60 M5 is 2.5s. My C32 will do it in 2.5s and 0-60 in 5ish seconds. I would have thought the AMG SL65 Black would be faster as it does 0-60 in 3.8s.

I seem to remember that he old big turbo Saab 9-5 2.3 was the surprise package at his particular stat.

...exits stage right to do some googling

Hope I am not putting a damper on things but according to Fast Saloons the 50-70 for E60 M5 is 2.5s. My C32 will do it in 2.5s and 0-60 in 5ish seconds. I would have thought the AMG SL65 Black would be faster as it does 0-60 in 3.8s.

It's leaving the manual cars in top gear that renders the results vs kickdown useless, as nobody does, especially when overtaking.

That's like saying the car will do infinite miles per gallon, provided you don't start the engine :doh:.

My S500 in manual mode goes like **** off a stick 50-70 - kick down is not as rapid, in fact it just wafts you to 70

It's leaving the manual cars in top gear that renders the results vs kickdown useless, as nobody does, especially when overtaking.

That's like saying the car will do infinite miles per gallon, provided you don't start the engine :doh:.

Exactly...even my car will beat those times (Porsche, SL63 etc)...not a relevant test.

I seem to remember Clarkson trying a 50-70 mph in a turbo Porsche panamera. He put his foot down and nothing due to the turbos, it took an age to get going.

7 speed gearboxes don't help

Why not?

In a previous discussion it was highlighted that the MB 7 speeder can skip ratios and as an auto it presumably can change under power.

The Panamera Turbo has the 7 speed PDK ("twin clutch") transmission.

When a twin clutch gearbox anticipates the shift it preselects the most likely ratio using the second clutch, making the shift lightening fast. When a change is required that the gearbox had not anticipated, then the shift time can actually be relatively slow.

The Panamera Turbo has the 7 speed PDK ("twin clutch") transmission.

When a twin clutch gearbox anticipates the shift it preselects the most likely ratio using the second clutch, making the shift lightening fast. When a change is required that the gearbox had not anticipated, then the shift time can actually be relatively slow.

But the Panamera, as the SL63 and the others, are doing this in top gear...not dropping down. If the Panamera does take that long (which I can't believe) then this would be dangerously slow.

I rather thought the real point of having the twin clutch system was about being able to change ratios while keeping power transmitted to the road.

Preselection is simply an additional optimisation on top of that fundamental benefit.

The original 'sell' on the system when the 959 came out was focused on the almost uninterrupted power delivery to the wheels.

But the Panamera, as the SL63 and the others, are doing this in top gear...not dropping down. If the Panamera does take that long (which I can't believe) then this would be dangerously slow.

I'm not sure if that's correct, i've driven a Boxster S with the PDK box and as soon as you floor it, car drops right down to the correct gear...

It's an impressive gearbox, best one i've ever driven, you don't feel the gear changes, all you see is the numbers changing..

A Porsche with a PDK gearbox is a quick and impressive car, I would much sooner have a 911 turbo than a Panamera though.

This is like the diesel owners who always quote the 50-70mph times in 4th.

"My 330d will so it in 4.7 seconds where as an M3 takes 5.5 seconds"

"Yeah but the M3 driver would drop to 3rd and do it in 2.6 you numb nuts!!"

.........and could almost keep up with a Ferrari 599 GTB!

It's not quicker in the 0-60 mph times or top speed but quicker in the most important and often forgotten 50-70mph times.

My car 5.5 V8 388bhp
50-70 = *3 seconds :D

I love this post JJ - full of the joys of V8 ownership. Glad to see you are enjoying it!

I've just had the radius arms replaced on mine (I did this as there was a lot of wear in the all the bushes and in one of the ball joints) and the directional stability had dropped right off. I can't wait to try it out properly.

We're taking the kids out on Friday. The Mrs is suggesting somewhere in London, I'm angling for Warwick Castle. For the three hour round trip, lots of 50-70mph and steering back to it's best.

:)

Why not?

In a previous discussion it was highlighted that the MB 7 speeder can skip ratios and as an auto it presumably can change under power.

^ Agreed,the kickdown at 50 mph on my 5.5 with 7 speed auto is amazing,don't forget it's all that torque(520nm's)that makes the mid range power available & instant on the n/a v8:D

Last edited:
steve333 said:
^ Agreed,the kickdown at 50 mph on my 5.5 with 7 speed auto is amazing,don't forget it's all that torque(520nm's)that makes the mid range power available & instant on the n/a v8:D

I suspect the ratios for the 7g are similar but the petrol by virtue of the fact it revs harder wont have to change gear from 50 to 70. Mine up changes at 69mph in 3rd really annoying me as I'd like 3rd to span 50 to 80 for B road driving.

I suspect a 500 in 3rd is on song at 50 and a press of the loud pedal gets you to over 70 before it changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom