My car is slowly gassing me! Please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevej

Car
W203 c200 kompressor
Hi every body I'm a new member, my car is a 2005 c200 kompressor which I love but is now slowly killing me! The problem I have is when stopped with the heaters on engine running I get a very strong smell of exhaust gases! There is no visible exhaust blow, can't hear one either. Also may think car is running rich as have black soot on tailpipe! Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcome thank you very much

I would check the exhaust manifold for leaks at the gasket.

Get it checked thoroughly! The carbon monoxide in the exhaust gas, if it is leaking into the cabin, could silently and painlessly put you to sleep for good, either from the amount of fumes or because you crash.
I don't want to sound over-dramatic, but it could be very dangerous. As you say, it's gassing you.

I would have thought that even if manifold is leaking, gasses should still not get into cabin?
Neil

I had a similar problem recently and they did enter the cabin. Depends on where the intake is.

Thanks for the advise so far! Is there any particular place the manifold cracks? Thanks

Assuming you don't have a detector, I would use the old fashioned method.
Engine running, a piece of tissue attached to an extended wire coat hanger or rod. The escaping gases cause the tissue to flutter and I would check the manifold gasket first ………….the only purpose of the rod/hanger is so you don't burn yourself on the manifold as it heats up.
Methodically check then gasket, manifold, down pipe to exhaust first stage join etc etc.

Oh. And don't drive the car until it is sorted……….maybe a very short trip to a local garage/exhaust centre with all vents closed, blower off and windows open. CO gas is a killer.

Last edited:
Gas

I the same problem took engine cover off 1st injector was leaking making a chuffing sound . Worth a look. Had injector fixed no more smell .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom