My Car Smells Like a Wet Labrador

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveb001

Car
W213 Coupe 2017
So i had a Mercedes CLA220 2016 and that after driving in rain started to have the same issues. I now have a W213 2017 E220 coupe. Been absolutly fine then the last weeks heavy rain smells back. Its smells damp. Checked carpets, checked matts, checked everywhere for a possible leak, but nothing. I have just checked the filters engine side and cockpit and they seem fine. Anyone else having issues. Popped online and seems the US have had a few law suits going on. 2 airfreshens and half a fabreze bottle later slightly better but still significant to warrent this. Anyone????

So i had a Mercedes CLA220 2016 and that after driving in rain started to have the same issues. I now have a W213 2017 E220 coupe. Been absolutly fine then the last weeks heavy rain smells back. Its smells damp. Checked carpets, checked matts, checked everywhere for a possible leak, but nothing. I have just checked the filters engine side and cockpit and they seem fine. Anyone else having issues. Popped online and seems the US have had a few law suits going on. 2 airfreshens and half a fabreze bottle later slightly better but still significant to warrent this. Anyone????
What about an aircon bacteria bomb , also what does the cabin air filter look like ?

What about an aircon bacteria bomb , also what does the cabin air filter look like ?
Looks fine to me clean but felt damp so have left it out to see, Reading a few reports in heavy rain people are suggesting the open filter tray under the bonet gets damp and blows moisture into the second cockpit filter causing the smell?

Do you have your aircon in all the time (you should) , bacteria damp smell is fairly common with aircon sometimes , they just need cleaning .
If the carpets aren’t damp , could it have been a previous owner issue ?

Check all the drain holes aren’t blocked with leaf gunk

I would have thought more Alsation 🥴

Check all the drain holes aren’t blocked with leaf gunk
Will remove so plastics tomorrow and have a look at this thanks. Just strange that it’s been fine the that rain we had last week from Friday afternoon it started so will check all suggestion. Thanks appreciate your time and reply’s.

Sounds like you have our Great Slobbering Dopey Labrador (aka PM BJ) in you boot.
Ha Ha, First thing i checked to make sure i hadnt left my five year old in the boot damp :D🤣 So many US forums people complaining of this happening.

Check you windscreen washer reservoir. Change water and pop in steriliser tabs. I couldn’t believe it but that was the cause of smell in a car I had.

Check you windscreen washer reservoir. Change water and pop in steriliser tabs. I couldn’t believe it but that was the cause of smell in a car I had.
Dried the filters external and internal and smells gone. They where new filters. Both filters where damp this is a known Mercedes problem in the US where they have frequent down poors of rain they have been experiencing the same problems. The external filter is open at the bottom moisture gets in and water the fan blows that onto the interior filter and that’s why the car stinks. Great hut?

you could pour 24% acidic vinegar in a plastic cup, put it on the floor in your car for 24 hrs.
close all windows and let it absorb every tacky smell inside your car.
then open all doors and air it out.

same procedure you can do in the trunk.

make sure you don't accidentally drop the vinegar on your interior, then it will smell forever.

it will smell vinegar for a short period of time but if you air it out smell will dissapear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom