My car was written off a month ago. Looking to buy another W211 (2004 Auto Seq)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

Hi,

as some of you may may know my car was written off in a horrible crash a month ago. The reason i am alive today is due to my W211.

The car saved me from certain death. For this reason alone i am buying another W211.

This time its going to be a Tealite Blue with an Auto SEQ BOX.

My previous w211 was a manual.

Now, please dont laugh. But i have never driven an auto car. And i am hesitant about driving the car back from the dealers to my house (approx 100 miles!).

What is the difference between a normal auto and a seq?

Also, do the 2004 models have problems with the auto box?

And can anyone give me some advice lol..

Are you sure its not a normal auto? I've checked a copy of the 2004 price list I had and it only lists the normal 5-speed automatic transmission with Tipfunction and Speedtronic cruise control as being available.

Are you sure its not a normal auto? I've checked a copy of the 2004 price list I had and it only lists the normal 5-speed automatic transmission with Tipfunction and Speedtronic cruise control as being available.

Cheers for replying mate.

Wait there, after having a closer look. It does state the following "Tiptronic Auto" in the detailed description.

But in the header it states "Seq Auto".

I'm even more confused now. I assume its a tiptronic.

How does a tiptronic auto box work? is it a pain to drive with?

How does a tiptronic auto box work? is it a pain to drive with?

Just stick it in D and use it like a normal auto ("point & squirt")

With the Tiptronic, you can manually select the gears by knocking the lever to one side, in the direction of the "+" & "-" symbols, but it's by no means necessary.

Driving an auto is a little different from a manual. You get little or no engine braking, so you'll be more reliant on the brakes. In "D" (Drive), the car will creep forward from a standstill, so again, use the brake.

When starting, you need to have your foot on the brake to select a gear (N is neutral, R is reverse, D is Drive), and then releasing the footbrake will have the car moving off slowly on 'tickover'. That's is great in traffic, because holding a car on the brake is easier than keeping the clutch in.

The main thing to remember is DON'T TRY TO USE THE CLUTCH. What you will tend to do is press the brake pedal with your left foot, and if anyone has done that, they will know that'll stand the car on it's nose. ;)

At first, you'll keep trying to change gear, especially when slowing down at junctions and so on, but you'll get used to it surprisingly quickly.

PJ

Last edited:
Just stick it in D and use it like a normal auto ("point & squirt")

You can manually select the gears by knocking the lever to one side, and then in the direction of the "+" & "-" symbols, but it's by no means necessary.

Do the 2004 W211's suffer form auto box problems? I gather pre-2003 they did due to faulty radiators etc..

Do the 2004 W211's suffer form auto box problems? I gather pre-2003 they did due to faulty radiators etc..
Providing it has had all the recall work and the service upgrades, it will be fine.

As already stated, just treat it as an automatic, the gearbox will adapt to your style of driving and you will never want a manual car again. :devil: :)

Happy motoring,
John

No idea, I'm afraid. Somebody cleverer will be along presently...

BTW, I edited my post above to include more 'general' auto driving stuff.

imadoofus said:
No idea, I'm afraid. Somebody cleverer will be along presently...

glojo said:
Providing it has had all the recall work and the service upgrades, it will be fine.

See? Told you :)

The main thing to remember is DON'T TRY TO USE THE CLUTCH. What you will tend to do is press the brake pedal with your left foot, and if anyone has done that, they will know that'll stand the car on it's nose. ;)

I've never done that... honest...

Main problem now is stalling the wifes manual car when stopping!

I've never done that... honest...

I do that!

The strange thing is I happily use the clutch to change gear during the course of driving along, and then forget to use it when coming to a standstill.

The easiest way to drive an auto from the start is to forget that you have a left leg, and just remember to use the right leg only, this will also stop you from over braking when using the left leg for that, with practice later, two feet driving will come to you.

Leave the car in D the whole time, with you foot on the brake at lighs etc. In W setting the car will not roll back on hill starts.

To be safe when buying the car,if the car was built after the 30-09-03 then the Valeo rad problem should not apply. ½ the cars were fitted with a Berh Rad, and these were not a problem.
If you can go to a build date after 04-04 then you get better paint

Autos are extremely easy to drive as above and so much better when crawling in traffic! Plus no chance of an embarrassing stall at lights. Just sit in drive with foot on brake - or pop into neutral and stick the handbrake on if going to be sat for longer

I've had my SLK for around a month now, and having test driven a manual on someone's behalf on Saturday, not sure I'll go back to clutch and gear change unless my dream car wasn't available with an auto box :crazy:

In W setting the car will not roll back on hill starts.

Just so you are not confused when you get in the car, the W211 E Class auto box does not have a W setting. There is a button just forward and to the left of the transmission selector with "C/S" on it. This gives you the choice between "Comfort" and "Sport". "Comfort" and "Winter" mean roughly the same thing, the car will start in second and change up earlier.

The W211 gearbox prevents roll back on hills (but not roll forward if the car is facing downhill and in reverse) in Sport. As I've never selected "Comfort" in three and a half years (apart from the usual button pressing on the day I got the car :) ), I can't tell you whether it does in that mode but I assume so.

To add to other advice, one thing with an auto box is that the selector has to be in P or N for the engine starter to work.

The main thing to remember is DON'T TRY TO USE THE CLUTCH.

The first time I ever drove an automatic, the car was a Ford Corsair (it was in the sixties) and the task was to reverse it downhill out of a long sloping drive. Once I got the car moving I was looking over my shoulder to adjust the car alignment to get out through the gates. Instinct took over and my left foot slammed down on the non existent clutch. Yours truly nearly flew over the back of the driver's seat. :eek:

Second embarrassing moment in an automatic was selecting neutral whilst at traffic lights. When the lights changed, I pushed the lever forward to select "first". In fact of course I selected reverse. :eek: I never forgot the look on the driver's face in the car behind as the reverse lights came on and the rear of the car lifted under torque reaction before I got my act together.

You only make mistakes like that once.:D

I have two problems with my wife's car; the stalling when stopping and the fact that the indicator stalk is on the "wrong" side of the steering wheel. My W124 has it on the right, Mrs300D's car has it on the left.

So when driving the boss's car, I tend to "indicate" with the windscreen wipers. :rolleyes:

I do that!

The strange thing is I happily use the clutch to change gear during the course of driving along, and then forget to use it when coming to a standstill.

Exactly the same with me! There's probably a medical term for the complaint. Something like "confused-left-foot autoboxitis"

I drive automatics quite rarely. The Sprinter crewbuses at work are auto, and great fun to drive. Since the pedals are so large I've never managed to do anything silly with my left foot.

Auto cars are an entirely different kettle of fish though, and I must confess to standing "several" on their noses after foot confusion!

I wouldn't have a manual again after the two auto's I've had.

You soon get used to keeping the left leg still, and will find yourself using the right foot on the gas pedal to influence gear shifts. And the Merc auto is by far the best of its kind...

Drive the auto you will never look back,

Funny as in mine (an Auto) I never go for the 'clutch' or try and change gear...............However jump in the wifes (manual) and come to a set of lights forgetting the clutch...juder, juder. juder.....

Its so easy with an auto you will wonder why you didn't choice it years ago.

Just stick it in D and off you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom