My car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommych

Car
C180
Today, whilst I was going up a seriously steep hill, a tw@ came towards down it. She didn't drive as far over on her side of the road either. The result - I had to swerve as she scraped down my side of the car and I hit a parked car. It was a fairly slow speed (about 10) but now the front passengers side wheel is at an angle, it squeals as I drive and ESP fault has come up on my dash. I'm hoping it's just knocked my tracking out, but if it's the steering or suspension what's the likelihood it's going to cost a fortune. Needless to say I was utterly fuming. She drove off at a rate of knots. [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

So, you were overtaking a car parked on your side of the road? You left your details on the parked car you hit?

Annoying.

I take it you didn't get her plate...

Might be worth fitting a camera in your car to capture this kind of dumb ass!

So, you were overtaking a car parked on your side of the road? You left your details on the parked car you hit?
It was a pretty narrow road but she had enough room. The irony of it is she started off at a passing point which I wasn't far away. I was going up and she was coming down.
I checked the other car but cos I hit it with my wheel/tyre and not bodywork, there litrally wasn't a scratch on it. It was a Nissan qashqui so meaty.

She should have given way to traffic coming up the hill. I was taught vehicles going up hill should be given priority, perhaps that's no longer the case?

I think going up hill still gives you priority - or at least I understood the same.

It was a pretty narrow road but she had enough room. The irony of it is she started off at a passing point which I wasn't far away. I was going up and she was coming down.
I checked the other car but cos I hit it with my wheel/tyre and not bodywork, there litrally wasn't a scratch on it. It was a Nissan qashqui so meaty.

Can't answer your question but you should be aware that driving away from an accident is classed as a hit and run, hopefully no one saw you drive away and tells the owner of the car you hit. These types of accidents are where a dashcam can save you a load of money and hassle.

Can't answer your question but you should be aware that driving away from an accident is classed as a hit and run, hopefully no one saw you drive away and tells the owner of the car you hit. These types of accidents are where a dashcam can save you a load of money and hassle.
****. I didn't really know that. I'm. A fairly new driver. I thought cos it was ok it was ok. If that makes sense.

I've always thought that people going up hill have right of way. And I takes sense why.

If you've hit with enough force to bend your wheel's axel, how have you possibly not damaged the Nissan?

Also, just because you saw no damage, doesn't mean the owner won't.

I spot a dog hair on my car from 20 yards and run over to see if it's a scratch. Nobody else would though as it's not theirs, so no emotional attachment.

Really suggest a dash cam is fitted especially as you've not been driving long. Any insurance claim would cripple you for insurance and a cam could prove you're innocent.

****. I didn't really know that. I'm. A fairly new driver. I thought cos it was ok it was ok. If that makes sense.

I've always thought that people going up hill have right of way. And I takes sense why.

You have 24 hours to report. I would call the local plod's and tell them you did stop, had a look and didn't see anything but now have been told you should have reported it. They will look in a book and if the 'injured' party hasn't reported a hit and run they will tell you to forget it. Even if the 'injured' party has reported it then if your call is within 24 hrs you haven't broken the law. I believe the 24 hrs only applies to damage and not 'injuring' people !

Since it was parked, you might find it hard to identify the owner anyway. - My car is currently parked in front of a house about four-doors down; if you knocked they'd have no idea where I live, just that it must be nearby.

It was probably wheel-on-wheel contact (especially if the Nissan was parked with the wheels turned towards the kerb), so it might be that there's no damage... or it might be that it's just as damaged as your car. - Even if you report it, nothing might come of it.

Since it was parked, you might find it hard to identify the owner anyway. - My car is currently parked in front of a house about four-doors down; if you knocked they'd have no idea where I live, just that it must be nearby.

It was probably wheel-on-wheel contact (especially if the Nissan was parked with the wheels turned towards the kerb), so it might be that there's no damage... or it might be that it's just as damaged as your car. - Even if you report it, nothing might come of it.
I just reported it. I know I'd be fuming if it was mine and found it damaged. Plus, if I didn't I know karma would come back and get me. She did say that if no one reports it there isn't much they can do so fingers crossed it's just superficial.

Today, whilst I was going up a seriously steep hill, a tw@ came towards down it. She didn't drive as far over on her side of the road either. The result - I had to swerve as she scraped down my side of the car and I hit a parked car. It was a fairly slow speed (about 10) but now the front passengers side wheel is at an angle, it squeals as I drive and ESP fault has come up on my dash. I'm hoping it's just knocked my tracking out, but if it's the steering or suspension what's the likelihood it's going to cost a fortune. Needless to say I was utterly fuming. She drove off at a rate of knots. [emoji35]

I would say that her brakes had failed, and that she wasn't driving off at a rate of knots, but that she couldn't stop her car picking up momentum. She probably saw your car coming and thought, 'I could use that to help me slow down'.

One of my ex girlfriends used to drive a car with no brakes. She used the hand brake, or the bumper of the car in front, to help her slow down.

Brakes are the one thing I wouldn't drive without. - Too much paperwork if you hit another car, or worse yet; a person.

I suppose if you're driving to a garage to get them fixed, then you use the handbrake... but don't go down any steel hills!

I would say that her brakes had failed, and that she wasn't driving off at a rate of knots, but that she couldn't stop her car picking up momentum. She probably saw your car coming and thought, 'I could use that to help me slow down'.

One of my ex girlfriends used to drive a car with no brakes. She used the hand brake, or the bumper of the car in front, to help her slow down.
When I say she didn't stop, I mean she knew she was in the wrong. She turned a corner looked back and sodded off. And if her brakes weren't working properly she should have avoided that road like the plague.

I just reported it. I know I'd be fuming if it was mine and found it damaged. Plus, if I didn't I know karma would come back and get me. She did say that if no one reports it there isn't much they can do so fingers crossed it's just superficial.
Backside covered.

It might very well be that there's no damage to the Nissan, but if push comes to shove you had to take avoiding action to avoid a collision with a moving vehicle and realised that hitting a static vehicle would do less damage.

I hope that at the same time you reported the other driver who hit you and didn't stop , giving whatever detail of the other car you could .

If you had an idea of make/model/colour of the other car , a little bit of detective work looking round local garages / body repair places and you might just spot the car , which will surely be damaged - you could then ( without letting on ) report your suspicions to the police / your insurer , who would investigate .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom