My CL500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Well, I've had the car for well over two years now and it's a fantastic car but I've got itchy feet already - as evidence by my recent interest in an old Shag/DameEdnaler (jury is still out on that one).

So yes, the naysayers (I'm mainly looking at you Alex! :D) were right.

I'm going to be advertising it in due course (any comments on suggested price appreciated although I've already looked and I reckon it will probably start somewhere in £21k) with all the details unless I can't be bothered and just part-ex it. WBAC offered £19k and the car is mint so I guess I would achieve that given gIzzE's experiences.

What next?

Another E55K of course.

Only joking... absolutely not! Been there done that. I miss the sound and I even considered that SL55 recently posted, I've done that to death.

So I really have no idea at this stage.

I quite fancy an old W210 E240 just to run around in for a while but this isn't going to be a heart decision car although the amount the CL has dropped is not insignificant so I may need time for my ass to heal on that one - although I went into it with my eyes wide open. Anyone buying a £100,000 car for £35k from a main dealer expecting to lose £1000 on it is way off the mark.

Suggestions welcome although it's not going to be something faster than the CL (which I class as "a bit slow") so any suggestions that start with AMG, RS or M will see your tyres let down.

Ouch that’s a fair bit of depreciation. Nothing compared to the first owner though as you say.

A well looked after W219 might fit the bill? Quite the bargain currently and no rust to deal with like a 210 would have.

Cough *bentley*, happy to show you round mine if you are ever round Cambridge!

What’s the budget for the new car John?

(Can’t believe it’s been two years with the CL - how time flies!)

Suggestions welcome although it's not going to be something faster than the CL (which I class as "a bit slow") so any suggestions that start with AMG, RS or M will see your tyres let down.

Morris.marina.arp.750pix.jpg

£15k over two years (£7.5k PA) really isn’t that bad for a newish CL though if you consider it would have had full dealer (MB) warranty and suchlike, that’s ignoring the retail vs. private sale/part ex margin too of course.

So you could probably say it’s ‘lost’ around £10k or so.

Man maths :D

I dunno what to suggest. It sounds as though you’ve no real specific requirements for a car - coupé/saloon, old/young, vastly different values etc.

Why not have a couple for the value of your CL? Something hassle free and then a weekend classic.

How about a £3/4K W211, or slightly more for a 212 perhaps for a daily runner and something that won’t depreciate for weekends/high days etc?

SL, Porsche? Perhaps something like your Daimler/Jag etc (W126 saloon or SEC?)

Doesn’t matter if you spend a few quid in maintenance IMHO for something that’s not losing value or perhaps gently appreciating, and classic insurance/low road tax etc means it can be quite affordable to run a couple of cars at once :cool:

I'd look at a classic of some sort J. Very little tech and refinement but simple and easy on the wallet to look after and with a price that won't drop down. Capri, 6 or 8 series BMW, even an old Yank pickup truck like F100.

Or you can get another E55 of course (like this blue estate?). It's on a steady course of becoming a youngtimer. A clean unmolested one should keep it's value well I'd have thought.

Ouch that’s a fair bit of depreciation. Nothing compared to the first owner though as you say.

A well looked after W219 might fit the bill? Quite the bargain currently and no rust to deal with like a 210 would have.

Yeah, I always knew it would be a boulder rather than a piece of shingle. But then again, people who smoke 40 a day set fire to £5k a year. Not to mention the plethora of other habits we can all fall into. So I am not too bothered.

I've wafted around in a £100k for two years to show for it and it was thoroughly enjoyed!

Cough *bentley*, happy to show you round mine if you are ever round Cambridge!

Will you stop putting temptation in my path. :D

At least a Bentley of that vintage wont depreciate as much.

What’s the budget for the new car John?

(Can’t believe it’s been two years with the CL - how time flies!)

I don't really set a budget and of course I need to see what happens with the CL. I tend to find the car and then work out if I can afford it. :D

2 years... yeah I know. Someone at work said that as well. It has really flown by.

I think I'd prefer a red Daimler with an interior specified by Elton John!

£15k over two years (£7.5k PA) really isn’t that bad for a newish CL though if you consider it would have had full dealer (MB) warranty and suchlike, that’s ignoring the retail vs. private sale/part ex margin too of course.

I dunno what to suggest. It sounds as though you’ve no real specific requirements for a car - coupé/saloon, old/young, vastly different values etc.

Why not have a couple for the value of your CL? Something hassle free and then a weekend classic.

How about a £3/4K W211, or slightly more for a 212 perhaps for a daily runner and something that won’t depreciate for weekends/high days etc?

Doesn’t matter if you spend a few quid in maintenance IMHO for something that’s not losing value or perhaps gently appreciating, and classic insurance/low road tax etc means it can be quite affordable to run a couple of cars at once :cool:

Same as you - I've sliced and diced the maths a few times and fitted it into some man maths. It's lost that whatever I do so I've given up thinking about it but the first two owners lost £75k but how could I run around in a car like that if I didn't lose some money...

I don't want to die of old age wishing I'd bought the CL back when I did. You forget about the massive waste of cash quicker than the memories of the car! Lol.

The replacement for the E55 had to be really special to match how much I loved the E.

However, that's all passed on with the passage of time.

I'm not adverse to 2 cars (hence the SL55 comment in my OP). I quite like Caymans but I am way too big for them - this is what ruled out the Maserati Granturismo for me.

I love the SEC but like a lot of used motors, values are strong and out of reach. I feel I've done the SEC in spirit with the CL anyway.

I think whatever it is it will be a saloon again as I prefer a more practical motor.

I'd look at a classic of some sort J. Very little tech and refinement but simple and easy on the wallet to look after and with a price that won't drop down. Capri, 6 or 8 series BMW, even an old Yank pickup truck like F100.

Or you can get another E55 of course (like this blue estate?). It's on a steady course of becoming a youngtimer. A clean unmolested one should keep it's value well I'd have thought.

I think the coffers need to recover a bit, that's for sure.

Estates just don't do the figures for me at all. I don't even like Audi RS Avants really but the RS6 is one of the nicest looking IMO (E55 excepted).

I might consider the afore-mentioned prefixed models (or at least AMG) - I think the key is not to modify the car performance-wise.

That seems to be the kiss of death for my will power.

£10k is what I paid for my 2004 SL500 a couple of years ago and I reckon it has only dropped at most £1k in that time, maybe it's lost nothing at all! Insurance this year is only £190 for the full year fully comprehensive.

So how about an SL500 for the weekends,

and this for day to day.......

2011 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 3.5 C350 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 7G-Tronic 4dr for sale for £12450 in Watford, Hertfordshire

It always starts like this....... I started looking for a nice sensible 530d and ended up with a cls55

£10k is what I paid for my 2004 SL500 a couple of years ago and I reckon it has only dropped at most £1k in that time, maybe it's lost nothing at all! Insurance this year is only £190 for the full year fully comprehensive.

So how about an SL500 for the weekends,

and this for day to day.......

2011 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 3.5 C350 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 7G-Tronic 4dr for sale for £12450 in Watford, Hertfordshire

I lost £7k over 5.5 years in my last E55. So on balance - it's not too bad. :cool:

I know you like Maserati John, but I hadn’t realised interior size was the reason you didn’t go for the GranTurismo. Is the Quattroporte any better on space?

Some good suggestions...

@M85 - The problem with the 560SEC is I'd want a WB and I aint getting one for sensible money. I reckon they are £70K > £120K for a minter although whether they are actually achieving that, who knows. I wouldn't be happy with a regular one. I do quite like the idea of a W126.

@MM - Despite liking the SL55 a lot - I don't really like drop tops. The SL55 is most appealing because of the engine!

@BD - yes, sadly. I share the same build as Freddie Flintoff as he was during the 2005 Ashes but I am heavier at 19st 5lb currently. He looks like me a bit too back then strangely.

So when I tried one a couple of years ago but got a sore back. Then I adjusted the seat to tip back but then I got sore knees. I'm just too heavy - they are designed for slim Italian men probably! :D

I then drove past a dealer who had my perfect car (63 plate facelift in Blu Sofisticato) but alas, same problem. The seats just don't go back far enough.

The shape of the floor means I don't think the runners can be brought back any further.

Even then, the whole cabin is cramped for me.

So I would be suffering and when you need to sink early 40s into one, it kind of takes the shine off the experience if it is not comfortable.

Of course as soon as I got in my CL to go home, I heard the "ahhhhh" so I know the GT is not going to be comfortable - and I didn't even drive it second time around!

The Quattroporte does nothing for me. I did quite like a facelifted 2011 GTS I spotted once but it was strong money (and it was white which is not the best colour for them IMO) albeit not in the same league as a GT. Shame really as that would be ideal otherwise.

Some good suggestions...

@M85 - The problem with the 560SEC is I'd want a WB and I aint getting one for sensible money. I reckon they are £70K > £120K for a minter although whether they are actually achieving that, who knows. I wouldn't be happy with a regular one. I do quite like the idea of a W126.

@MM - Despite liking the SL55 a lot - I don't really like drop tops. The SL55 is most appealing because of the engine!

@BD - yes, sadly. I share the same build as Freddie Flintoff as he was during the 2005 Ashes but I am heavier at 19st 5lb currently. He looks like me a bit too back then strangely.

So when I tried one a couple of years ago but got a sore back. Then I adjusted the seat to tip back but then I got sore knees. I'm just too heavy - they are designed for slim Italian men probably! :D

I then drove past a dealer who had my perfect car (63 plate facelift in Blu Sofisticato) but alas, same problem. The seats just don't go back far enough.

The shape of the floor means I don't think the runners can be brought back any further.

Even then, the whole cabin is cramped for me.

So I would be suffering and when you need to sink early 40s into one, it kind of takes the shine off the experience if it is not comfortable.

Of course as soon as I got in my CL to go home, I heard the "ahhhhh" so I know the GT is not going to be comfortable - and I didn't even drive it second time around!

The Quattroporte does nothing for me. I did quite like a facelifted 2011 GTS I spotted once but it was strong money (and it was white which is not the best colour for them IMO) albeit not in the same league as a GT. Shame really as that would be ideal otherwise.
Have you ever tried an SUV?

Nice bloke. He was great with our kids too. He and they were singing Regulate (by Warren G) to eachover in a busy square, with the volume on the car Hi-Fi set to 11.

We were abroad at the time, and I don’t think anyone knew who he was at first, so the crowd start to form because of the ruckus, until some other Brits recognised him. Quite surreal :)

Have you ever tried an SUV?

Not a proper one but that is already on the possibles list.

I've always found our Juke comfortable which is not a full SUV - so a bigger one might suit.

If I am to buy a classic, I will need two cars as I don't want to rely on an older car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom