My CLK has gone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudger

Car
Awaiting delivery
Guys, I have sold the CLK430 and.......don't be mad at me, bought a 1995 Porsche 968 Sport.

Thought that after 8 years driving 4 great merc's that I would go for a change.

It's done 65,000 miles with a really good service history so am really pleased with it especially as they are great drivers cars which handle better, IMHO, than that icon, the 911.

I am sure that I will be shuned from the forum now ;) but i would like to say that I have really enjoyed the GTG's and the general good humour and friendly advice of all those regulars on this great site.

Hope you won't revoke my registration as I would like to continue to participate from time to time but obviously on a less frequent basis

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase, at least its still German :rock:

No disrespect, but didn't the 996 come out in '98?
Is yours a 993 (the last of the "real" 911s IMHO :cool: )

whatever it is, enjoy :D

PICS!!!!

Last edited:
It's a 968..sorry. A friend of mine has the 996TT which although very nice was a bit steep at £85k for me :(

Congrats on the new purchase :D :cool: You can join Big Ed and start a 'former owners' sub group :p

I would also like to see pics of the new motor please ;)

S.

Originally posted by Fudger
It's done 65,000 miles with a really good service history so am really pleased with it especially as they are great drivers cars which handle better, IMHO, than that icon, the 911.
Too true, my Father is a Porsche enthusiast and owns a 944, he said the same thing about the driving experience :)

Top man.

Hope to follow in your footsteps in a year to come soon. I WILL own a Porsche is on my list of must do's.
A 911 variant or a Boxster S would be nice.

Enjoy Jonathan

Of course we won't ban you as long as you give us a ride in it at the next GTG.:D :D

Ask Big Ed ----- We treated him OK at the GTG didn't we, he just had to park his BMW out of sight.:D :D :D

Thanks for the comments guys and I'd still like to come along to the GTG's and sit in the corner with Big Ed. Perhaps I should change my user ID to Billy no mates!

I'll take a couple of pics over the weekend for interest.

I must admit I will miss the sheer smoothness and quietness of the CLK and especially those parking sensors. In the 968 you sit soo low that you don't see any of the bonnet even though it's six foot long!

Just need a Yamaha XJR1300 and I'm sorted motor wise :D ....for now!

Fudger.

congrats on your new motor - sorry to see your CLK go, I still really like the 430 and often think about swapping mine for one. I'm sure your new toy will take some of the pain away!!

Don't worry about the GTG, they still treat you really well - it was probably just coincidence that my name badge had a big red 'BMW' bullseye on it so everyone knew who to hit :D

Jonathan: I did wonder when I saw in another post that you had sold it. :rolleyes:

968: One of my favourites. I still have an edition of Road and Track somewhere, where they tested a 944 Turbo and a 911 Turbo on an ice track :eek: [great photography - two gorgeous red cars against a stunning white backdrop :drool:]. The 968 improved on the 944 by bringing elements of another favourite, the 928.

Enjoy, and I for one will look out for you at the next gtg :D

Cheers
Andrew

Here is a picture the previous owner sent me so please excuse the quality.

pic1.jpg

When is the next GTG...I have to come and show off :D

Congrats, I've always thought the 968 was an underrated and forgotten about Porsche. Once had a passenger ride in a Club Sport that blew me away, fantastic handling

Cheers
Andy

Guys, some pics of the new car. Not nearly as plush as the CLK but then again a completely different type of car.

Interiorview.JPG

Sideview.jpg

And I thought the Mercedes foot parking brake was meant to be difficult for hill starts.

Just how many hand have you got?:confused:

Originally posted by Dieselman
And I thought the Mercedes foot parking brake was meant to be difficult for hill starts.

Just how many hand have you got?:confused:

Looks ideal to me....

Conventional operation, but at the suprissed by the amber light moment you can still whack it in gear and release the hand brake at the same time, to go go go.

Now if you want a dodgey handbrake setup......thsi is my bro's Caterham 7.

c7_hbrake.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus Graham, you must need to have a passenger to operate that surely!

As for the 968, it's easy to get used to. Once your in gear, left hand on the wheel and right on the handbrake.

I sometimes catch the 'turn up's' of my suit trousers on it when I get out though. Can be embarrassing when I am trying to act really cool in front of some babe :D have not gone flat on my face yet though :crazy:

As for the car, I am having the alloys re-done as they have some scuff marks which have started to corrode. £45+vat per wheel...seem a reasonable price??

Jonathan,

The price for the wheel refurbish is about right - it's the same as I paid to get all four of my 17" AMG wheel done about 6 months ago as the previous owner had kerbed them and generally not looked after them and they were letting the rest of the car down.

They look like new now :bannana:

As for the new car / toy, have fun with it (just don't get caught!!!)

Cheers

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom