My CLS55 AMG... Its more than a car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCLS55

Car
Mercedes E63
After much thinking I've decided I'm going to keep the beast and make it as good as it can be. It needs new pads and discs all-round, a map sensor, the front and rear bumper resprayed due to scuffs and stone chips, rear brake pipes done due to corrosion, a new drivers side door handle for the key-less entry and some other minor scuffs and stone chips removed from general bodywork. The drivers side window could do with some new rubber seals as well it seams as its noisy at high speed, seems it has a split somewhere. Needs an MOT too.

The car itself is all paid for and stands me nothing. I will never own as good a car pound for pound. Even if I get a new one I'll be keeping it as for what I'd get for it at current, I'd be mad to get rid of what is an awesome car that I genuinely believe will appreciate within the next few years.

I've long toyed with the idea of modding it as the engine is easily modded as evidenced on here, but I want to keep it stock basically so I'm just going to get it remapped to improve performance. Although I may look at different alloys and a rear and front carbon diffuser just to enhance the looks, but mechanically it will remain stock.

It was my dream car when I bought it and still remains my dream car as I absolutely love it. I can afford a new car if that's what I need or even another daft car, but this particular car, to buy now I could have a good example for as little as 10-12K and this is a 90K car new with all options ticked.

We are looking for our dream home at the moment, so a new car at daft prices can wait as that's where I need to be putting my money towards. I've always said I'd keep my car if I had a garage which I don't, but the new home will have one for certain.

Back to what the car needs, it will eventually need new tires, I have cheap ones at the moment and do you know what, the car is so much fun to drive with them on, it slides, spins and makes me s*** myself at times, so I may go for another set of cheap tires.

I'll be doing some cosmetic things myself and will post up pictures of the car as it progresses from much loved, but much neglected to hopefully one of the best CLS 55 AMG's out there.

I fancied a C63s and still do, but I can wait for one. This car of mine is quite symbolic for me as I wanted one way before I could even learn to drive or could ever hope to afford a car and its my 3rd official car since I passed my test pretty much. My first being a Saab 9-3 another much loved marque of mine.

My CLS was basically a pat on the back for myself, a reward for turning my life around and making a success of myself and to let all that go for a poxy 10K or whatever I'd get selling it... nah, I'm keeping it regardless of cost.

I had an old BMW 635 CSI (my weekend car to the Saab) which I regret letting go as it was mint and I don't tend to make the same mistake again with the CLS.

I'll no doubt bore many any here over the coming months with posts and threads about my car... but, hey ho!

Do the pulley and the remap ;) for tomorrow ...you could be dead !! Lol

What kind of costs are involved and how much extra BHP do you get? The car is seriously fast and powerful enough to be honest, it freaks many a passenger out. My brother in law has had many a 911 Turbo and he was shocked at just how powerful and quick the CLS was when I first took him for a spin in it.

Hi & welcome to the forum, nice car.
Not exactly sure where in Surrey you're based but the best people to talk to regarding pulleys and re-maps are: Ollie @ PCS in Horndean, Hampshire, Acid @ MSL Performance in Birmingham or Paul Savage @ Eurocharged Performance, Watford. Power and torque figures vary quite a bit depending on who/what/when you talk to and depending if your car is a kompressor version or not.
Good luck whatever you do as you can never, ever, have enough power :D

Matt :thumb:

I'm based in Newcastle!

I know now. Sorry, I sent an apologetic pm :crazy:

Matt

cls

I get 100% what you mean

I have a beautiful SL500 2006 model , £93,000 new

Selling ? Worth £17000 but its worth a whole lot more to me as what would £17000 buy me ?

Not a lot .

So each year I do what is required to keep it in top condition

Head for John at Big Fish Tuning in the North East. He writes some of the maps for Acid at MSL.
Big Fish Tuning North Yorkshire Stokesley Middlesbrough Stockton Darlington Durham Northallerton Newcastle

With an 83mm pulley and remap you are looking at around 550bhp (About £750 IIRC)
Go a bit further with a 77mm pulley and you are knocking on 600bhp, but you'll need extra cooling.

Would Split cooling and an updated intercooler be sufficient for a 77mm?

Would Split cooling and an updated intercooler be sufficient for a 77mm?

Should be Lenny. Assuming your IC pump is working fine though I seem to recall reading you replaced your one recently?
Any doubts give Acid at MSL a call and he will set your mind at rest.
07765 44 44 47

Jules had no problem with heat issues on his CLS55 with a 77mm and map, but that isn't to say nobody else would.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/189064-77mm-supercharger-pulley-msl-dyno-test.html

You are correct sir - a Bosch 010 was installed by yours truely in September

The plan will be to venture to Acid's this coming year - I was thinking of getting a group of us to go over together from Northern Ireland for a road trip if there was enough interest !!

AMGeed that thread is so cool - thanks pal!!

Well it's booked in with ACID at MSL tomorrow for a few goodies... and the brakes!

Hello Chris so glad your keeping your Cls. I know the feeling, as I'm keeping mine and never intend to sell it. I've kept mine standard but do see myself going to Acid's at some point this year :) God knows what I will end up with lol
Good luck mate and wish you all the best ;)

So... I've had my car with Acid and MSL for a few days. Dropped it off Monday morning and picked it up Wednesday tea-time.

First of all a few words about MSL and Acid. I called them not Friday just gone, but the Friday before that. I asked, after someone from here mentioned them, about pads and disks all-round for my car, to see if they could match the best quote I had thus far which was with Mercedes Newcastle.

They said they could and my next step was to order the parts, but then I asked about other things like performance mods, MOTs etc. Based in Newcastle I was in Birmingham Monday and then London Wednesday so in theory I could let them have my car to do the brakes and MOT and such.

But the mods, I mentioned them. The girl on the phone said let me get Acid to call you and he did and we talked and I thought stuff it let's get some mods done so after a 30 minute or so chat with Acid I had it booked in for the Monday for mods and some mechanical work.

Saturday evening I messaged MSL via Facebook asking a few questions and I was replied to straight away despite it being past 8.00pm. I wanted a bit more done. Good customer service.

Anyway I got there 10 something Monday morning and changed my mind. I had it booked in for pads and discs all-round, an MOT and a 83m pulley and a remap. I then asked if they could do a B service as it was due, to look at rear brake pipes as Mercedes said they were corroded and needed replaced (they didn't), carry out exhaust work and also lower the car among other minor things.

Nothing was a problem and from an initial call to booking it in everything was smooth and explained to me fully.

Anyway work done:

83m pulley
Remap
All-round AMG Brembo discs and pads, hand brake shoes sensors etc.
Mot
B service including change of all plugs
Engine cover gasket rocker work
Rear brake pipe clean and recondition
Imap sensor
X-pipe, secondary cat delete, resonator removal etc.
Lowered by 2 inches plus on Star
Other misc minor things

This was done within 3 days and I went to pick the car up at 2pm Wednesday along with my 3 year old son who loved every minute of it. We didn't leave until 6...

During my time at MSL I met a forum member Russ and his beautiful c63 coupe in diamond white, a top guy with a stunning car and whose knowledge was most insightful.

I have no knowledge of mods and tech so had no real expectations with the mods themselves, but we were all disappointed with the one dyno run which had the car pushing 497bhp or so. Acid said it was down to the standard cooler pump? and that if replaced and the map retweeked it should push 530-550bhp.

I'm going to get it booked in for the pump and the Quaife lSD before June so I'm hopefull the performance figures will improve.

Regardless, having went into this blind, the new noise and extra performance has improved the car massively and I've fallen in love with it all over again, it's immense and I love it.

If before it was a spotty faced teenager it's now a spotty faced teenage delinquent. I'm very happy with the work done regarding the mods, but just as important all that mechanical work.

Acid and co are top people and have an immense place, but my it's busy and chatoic, but that's a good sign as he's obviously in demand.

Leaving MSL I headed to London to my sis' and the car was totally different without being totally different if that makes sense. The new noise is awesome and it seems more powerful too, much more despite the poor returns on extra BHP, more rapid and dare I say it more refined.

What next...? I'm all ears!

Last edited:
Time for a new pump, headers, heat exchanger, smaller pulley and some supercharger gaskets, TCU remap and let's push it properly! :D

Great write up Chris and similar to what MSL have recently done with my CLS63 and funnily enough both of my previous CLS55's.

Shame about the IC pump but very common, for the lost cost it's worth getting done soon. For normal driving it won't have a major effect, but as the weather gets warmer it will affect the performance with spirited driving.

Enjoy

Jules

Thanks Jules. Driving out of Acid's place was great, flooring it and hearing that noise after the work done. I even set an alarm off on a parked car via the sheer noise of mine! Everyone I know has noticed the difference in noise and performance those who have sat in it. In the next hour or so I have a usually dreaded 300 mile drive home, but in the Merc I'm really looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom