My current w168 project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The facelift headlights are plug and play (nice, easy mod!). I have a L/H headlight from a 2003 car going spare if you're interested..

I will post up some pics of my A160 if I get the chance, just spent the day cleaning/polishing, looking quite nice just now.

An alternative to the spare wheel storage box is the round fuel can, not available new anymore and prices vary Mercedes-Benz Orginal Reservekanister 7 Liter Bellino W202 W210 W126 W124 W140

OMG stop showing me these amazing mods

Rear armrest...defo up for that...the same with the spare wheel storage box...

Part numbers please : )

I already have the front seat storage boxes ; )

The facelift headlights are plug and play (nice, easy mod!). I have a L/H headlight from a 2003 car going spare if you're interested..

I will post up some pics of my A160 if I get the chance, just spent the day cleaning/polishing, looking quite nice just now.

An alternative to the spare wheel storage box is the round fuel can, not available new anymore and prices vary Mercedes-Benz Orginal Reservekanister 7 Liter Bellino W202 W210 W126 W124 W140

Yes I could be interested I'm going to nip up to my local Merc breaker in the morning...If they have a pair going cheap could be easier though than posting lamps across the country

:thumb: Great stuff - having the front seat storage boxes - took me a while to find one.

As to the Vario armrest and spare wheel storage - here they are (depending on your rear seats, you might need an extra fixing belt, but from memory, it wasn't required for pre-facelift - I marked the parts with fat red dots):

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-24%20at%2014.50.52%20marked_zpsei7raous.png

Bear in mind - the prices are circa 2001 ...

I think that the fixing strap for the Vario (rear) armrest is only needed if the car has a centre 3-point inertia seat belt (option code 431). Most cars seem to have the centre lap belt. Worthwhile checking ebay.de for the armrest.

The rear seat storage boxes are nice (B67810129). Took me a month of Sundays to find one though. Had to buy one for the other seat as individual parts.

Sorry its been so long....been alot of work going on ;)

So the little A class turned out to be quite a bit more work than was originally estimated....but the good news is, I still came in within budget :p

The remaining jobs are as follows:
Oil change
Fuel filter change
Plugs change
Change 2 tyres so they all match
Strip the arch areas and make them look like new, paint the brakes, underseal everything etc

Full list of jobs done:
Front subframe replaced
All engine mounts replaced
Front wishbones replaced
Front discs and pads replaced
Front drop links replaced
Front coil springs replaced
Front top mounts replaced
NSF caliper replaced
OSR trailing arm replaced
OSR spring seat replaced
NSR/OSR wheel bearings replaced
Rear brakes checked, cleaned up
Air filter replaced
Fuel system cleaned
Alloys wheels tidied up
Bodywork surface rust tidied up and painted
Paintwork detailed - Obviously ; )

Possibly something I've forgotten, but its now a clunk and rattle free tidy little ride returning great economy and handles like its on rails...looks half its age also :cool: Living proof that you can polish a turd...with enough time and money

Its not perfect by any means....and it always looks a bit better on pictures than in real life as its the daily taxi so it doesn't get cleaned up like this that often, but I'm happy that its been saved : )

Last edited:
That looks great. We've had our2001 A140 avantgarde, meteor grey one since it was about 18mths old :) ....it's now been passed on to youngest daughter and has a few battle scars, but it's reliable, and the ability to use it as a mini van is fantastic!

Is this a straight swap, or are any modifications required?

Straight swap, very easy to do.
Just make sure the wiper arm is for W245, as W169 one is not angled, so wont work (both part numbers are A169... - not confusing at all :dk: )

You could just about see the difference here:

IMG_1934small_zpscceffhpf.jpg

It certainly does. It was suggested by Chris and I'm really glad I did that.

One other mod you might consider, and I think it'll suit your lovely car nicely - a facelift Avantgarde tail lights - see the pic above with my 168 and 169 together.

Excellent advice and a really nice mod. :thumb:

May I also suggest adding a few items to your update / mod list?

Firstly, the ones I had done myself, and was very pleased with:

• A210 leather pull handles
  • A210 AMG front grille
  • Full leather interior with heated seats
  • Bonnet star
  • AMG / Sports metal pedal covers
  • Front leather armrest
  • Rear Vario armrest
  • Spare wheel storage unit

And, a few I wanted to do, but never got around to, before I sold the car:

• A190/A210 front and rear brake discs
  • Leather trimmed Instrument Cluster Cover
  • Electrically folding side mirrors
  • Auto-dimming RVM

Also, a few I had done, but from the non-OEM realm (which might not fit with your intentions):

• DRL - I fitted a round ones in place of the fog lights, that was otherwise empty
  • Double-DIN head unit
  • Reversing camera and rear sensors
  • Internal LED lights
  • Windows comfort feature (custom made for W168, much faster than OEM, brilliantly installed by a forum member)

I should have the part numbers for the first list, if required.

Sorry to necro an old post but I don't have enough posts to DM, I'd love to get the part numbers for those items if you still have them. I just bought a W168 A160 CDI which I'm loving but I want to add a few little conveniences - those parts seem like a good start.

No worries, I'll dig those up tomorrow for you, and will see if I can find the pictures too (greedy Photobucket destroyed so many useful threads).

If you'd like a pdf owner's manual and accessories brochure, you can get them here - I just uploaded for someone on BenzWord, it'll be live for a week on WeTransfer:

https://we.tl/61uihrQ4Jc

OK, managed to find some part numbers, but not all (some bits are best sourced from breakers anyway)

• Front leather armrest - sides: A168 683 2308 / 2408; leather top - A1686801639; base - A1686800850
  • Rear Vario armrest - B67810160 (in slate grey)
  • Spare wheel storage unit - B68818207 ; strap (if needed) - B67810162
  • Steel Door Sills - B66890020

Updated list of work carried out.....

Front subframe replaced
All engine mounts replaced
Front wishbones replaced
Front discs and pads replaced
Front drop links replaced
Front coil springs replaced
Front top mounts replaced
NSF caliper replaced
OSR trailing arm replaced
OSR spring seat replaced
NSR/OSR wheel bearings replaced
Rear brakes checked, cleaned up
NSR trailing arm replaced
NSR coil spring replaced
Air, oil, fuel filters replaced
Auxiliary belt replaced
Oil changed including oil flush and oil treatment
Fuel system cleaned
Spark Plugs replaced
Crank sensor replaced

The list goes on....

Now on 108,000. Its been a great car so far. Plan at the moment is to sell it next year and start a new project....Most likely another a class ; )

plug1.jpg

aclass1.jpg

Awesome stuff, Looks lovely, This is our A140, 105k fsh And hasn't missed abeat Best £1,000 we have ever spent imho.

Reactions: GLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom