My detailing is no different from 30 years ago - am I foolishly behind the times?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KILOCHARLIE

Car
190e/c220/cls55/ml63?
I see people talking about snow foam, videos of washing cars with soap guns, Ppf, ceramic coatings.

I use a 2 bucket method with a mitt. Clay bar if really needed. Double action polisher with Meguiars Compound (which I’ve never been that impressed with), autoglym resin polish, then autoglym for absolutely everything else (tyre/window/trim polish). Microfibre towel to dry off.

Grateful for any advice

I use pretty much the same system and I am quite happy with the results. I do use brushes to get into the corners however. Many people in my mind go completely over the top and the following day they are in exactly the same position as you. Just do what you are happy with :)

If it works for you and you are happy with the results, stick with it :thumb:

TBH I've tried snow foam and was totally underwhelmed, as I was with Autoglym SRP. More a Meguiar's man. My recent Lexus purchases have both been ceramic coated, which really has made keeping the car clean an absolute doddlle :cool:

I use pretty much the same system and I am quite happy with the results. I do use brushes to get into the corners however. Many people in my mind go completely over the top and the following day they are in exactly the same position as you. Just do what you are happy with :)
That’s good to hear. I also use brushes (child’s paint brush set from Asda lol) for the tricky bits - Mercedes’ seem to have sooooo many of those.

I think the main thing I am missing though compared to more modern techniques is the ease. I wash a car and I’m aching for two days now!

TBH I've tried snow foam and was totally underwhelmed, as I was with Autoglym SRP. More a Meguiar's man. My recent Lexus purchases have both been ceramic coated, which really has made keeping the car clean an absolute doddlle :cool:
Can ceramic coatings be done at home please or is it professional only? How much roughly is it for a car.

I also sometime uses autoglym wax (expensive stuff in a little pot) and I guess that gives a similar effect but a lot less lasting. It certainly prolongs time between washing but I’m normally too shattered by the time it’s ready to apply to use it!

I see people talking about snow foam, videos of washing cars with soap guns, Ppf, ceramic coatings.

I use a 2 bucket method with a mitt. Clay bar if really needed. Double action polisher with Meguiars Compound (which I’ve never been that impressed with), autoglym resin polish, then autoglym for absolutely everything else (tyre/window/trim polish). Microfibre towel to dry off.

Grateful for any advice
Pretty much same method, I do use snow foam it does help get as much dirt of the car as you can before touching any paint

That’s good to hear. I also use brushes (child’s paint brush set from Asda lol) for the tricky bits - Mercedes’ seem to have sooooo many of those.

I think the main thing I am missing though compared to more modern techniques is the ease. I wash a car and I’m aching for two days now!
Hah, you are not alone there :D

Can ceramic coatings be done at home please or is it professional only? How much roughly is it for a car.

I also sometime uses autoglym wax (expensive stuff in a little pot) and I guess that gives a similar effect but a lot less lasting. It certainly prolongs time between washing but I’m normally too shattered by the time it’s ready to apply to use it!
It can be done at home, the end result is all down to the surface preparation and if you feel confident in using the DA polisher go for it.
Personally I would entrust the work to a reputable detailer, usually one or two days work depending on the paint condition. Cost? A lot depends on the labour cost and of course the coating cost. Anything from £600-700 upwards

It can be done at home, the end result is all down to the surface preparation and if you feel confident in using the DA polisher go for it.
Personally I would entrust the work to a reputable detailer, usually one or two days work depending on the paint condition. Cost? A lot depends on the labour cost and of course the coating cost. Anything from £600-700 upwards
Great info. I’m confident with a DA. I cut and polish with mine regularly. Will definitely have a good look into it. Thanks

I tried water once… but was totally underwhelmed.
😃

Great info. I’m confident with a DA. I cut and polish with mine regularly. Will definitely have a good look into it. Thanks
You need to apply a ceramic coating in a warm dust free garage, otherwise you get bits in it. I had gtechnique coating professionally applied 3 years ago - still looking great

kc

You need to apply a ceramic coating in a warm dust free garage, otherwise you get bits in it. I had gtechnique coating professionally applied 3 years ago - still looking great

kc
Looks like a good excuse to buy a gazebo!

Yes I agree. Apart from walking it’s the best exercise I get these days. There’s also a big benefit of a nice shiny car at the end of it!
Amen, think of it as Pilates or Yoga without the Downward Dog.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 22.00.52.png

There are some ceramic coatings which can be done at home and even outdoors now, such as the latest generation Gyeon products - look out for the “Evo” tag in the name, which means it can be applied at home/outside.

I have 4 cars myself, just recently inherited 10 from my old man who died before Christmas too. I’ve been washing and polishing one car a week for the last 6 weeks. My knees actually creak as I sit down, my hands hurt and then it rains and it’s all for nothing.
There's no need to polish the car every week if you put a wax on the top to protect it :) :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom