My door grab handle is coming loose I think.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Continental

Evening all,

Right my w203 is falling to bits it seems after 24k! I closed the door and I noticed that the door grab handle seems loose at the top part (coming a bit away from the door)

I don't think it's broken so is there a way of tightening it back?

I really don't believe this, it's such rubbish quality...I've had so many cars and these type of nonsense problems have never occured (door locks jumping up and down...door grab handles coming loose...lights flashing) it is just getting on my nerves... I mean build quality is what I thought mercedes pride themselves on...I feel like an idiot for buying it...because clearly they don't pride themselves on build quality else they would fix these problems no questions asked if you service your car with them ... that's why I'm reluctant to call the dealer for a quote on this thing because they wouldn't do my jumping door lock out of goodwill I had to pay...I know I'll end up getting them to do the work anyway as I don't know anyone else...but is there a case for me to say you should sort this out as a matter of goodwill or will I just get another slap in the face?

Anyone else had this problem or am I just extra special? ...is there not just a simple way to tighten it back?

I found some site showing how to replace the door grab handle (I think it's pathetic personally that mercedes-benz reduces it's own customers to producing detailed online guides for how to fix such embarrasing problems that they ought to be ashamed of...If I made a car that had pieces like this falling to bits and coming loose under normal useage I would be so utterly embarrassed to be standing by the car and asking my customers to pay me for new parts to fix it and my labour as well)

Rant over!

The back part of the handle , where the key lock is on the drivers door can be tightened . Pull back the door seal beside the door handle , in use a long TX20 screw driver , insert this into the small hole found behind the door seal . This will locate into a screw in the door and this holds the end-peice in place . On the front doors the screw is into the back of the end-piece , on the rear doors the screw is in the side of the end-piece

Hi shorty many thanks for your reply.

You'll have to forgive me because I'm really clueless about these things... I found out what a TX20 screwdriver is... no problems there, I guess I'll find that in B&Q or some shop like that.

It is the driver's side door grab handle on the INSIDE of the door that I'm referring to...I don't think I made that clear....(its the top part that is coming loose...) I found these pictures do you think it is easy to pry off the interior grab handle? And if I do will tightening this top part with a T-25 screw driver solve it? Or is it already broken (by virtue of the fact that it is loose at the top?)

top%20handle%20removal.jpg

panel%20overview.jpg

Sorry , i miss understood you post . The cover will pop when you pry it off with a flat screw driver , than tighten the two 25 Tx screws , this will tighten the handle

Wow, Cool! Sounds like an easy fix for a complete noob like me then... right time to buy a T-25 screwdriver ... I'll post back tomorrow after I fix it with my results and let you all know that it is fixed hopefully...watch this space!

Good luck , and enjoy the new screw driver ha !

Ahh shame I'm not sure if I'll be investing in one now because I just pryed the cover off (was very easy to do that) and it turns out the actual plastic that represents the other half of the grab handle has actually broken away at the point where it is around the door...So I guess to replace that I would need to remove the whole door and all I doubt I can do that...unless if I remove the two t25 screws would that plastic come out...I don't think it would because it seems that plastic is secured by the plastic screw cylinder right?

Hi shorty
I am a newly proud owner of 2007 Mercedes c180k w203 coupe...

I also have a problem with the grab handles, not because they are loose, but they have been scuffed by the previous owner rings.. I would like to replace the handle covers so to restore to showroom condition.. ( plus it doesn't help with my OCD) I tried using this method but on the coupe, the covers do not seem to be coming off... Are their screw at the top n bottom because they seem to be pulling back at these points??. Pls help

I've figured it out, took a couple of hours...
But it's sorted, you have to take off the door card on the coupe as their are screws that hold into place. Unfortunately unlike the saloon models the top part does not just come off. The screws are situated behind the door card and their are three of them that hold into place.

Replacing the grab handle
1.Wind down the elec windows
2.Isolate battery (air bag purpose)

3. Remove bracket by the door latch
4. Undo the 2 tork screws situated, 1 behind the srs airbag badge and the other is situated under the grab handle support cushion, by popping of the cap it around 3-5 cm in at a funny angle.
5. Un clip tweeter speaker at top of the door, by pulling towards u and out. Take off wire clip
6. Unclip door card using flat screw driver, or door card tool.
7. Pull the door card at the bottom, so all retaining clips are out do it gently not to break them.
8. Jiggle the door card side to side in an upward motion so to take out from the top clips. Be gentle it may be stiff..
9. Once door card is off you will be able to see the top screw which is an 8mm bolt head, and their are 2 further tork screws either side of where the bottom of the handle meets the door card, one is hidden under the polis tiring support, but is accessible at an angle...
10. That's it all done... Good luck!!!

Grab door handles

I do have a picture... I need to take some of the finished product... Upload shortly... :doh::thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom