My drill smells like my old Scalextric

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
I have a reliable Dewalt DW907 (type 1) which whilst still working perfectly has started to smell. What is causing this and can I replace it or will I have to buy a new one?

Reminds me of my wife. Get rid.

On a more serious note I think that whate you may be smelliing is the ozone from the brushes arcing. If you can get a new set, it may be worth replacing them.

Its the carbon brushes you can smell.
Depending on how old the drill is and how much use its had, they could be getting to the point of needing to be replaced.
Give a quick short blast of WD40 over the brushes if you can see them. It might help.

Yes, definitely the motor.

I don't think they are replaceable on that model. You may have to buy the whole motor.

Check this out..........

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=12709822&strPageHistory=cat

They are easy to replace and may not be too expensive (£40 ish??).

However there are some good deals around on new ones, including batteries if yours are getting on a bit.

Hope that helps.

Are teh brushes inside the motor unit shown in the link..if so can I where would I spray the WD40?

Alternatively do I need a new motor at £27 quid....hmm...might be worth running it until it dies and then buy a new one for that price.

Tool has seen fair use over about 5 years. would a lot of plaster/dust in the mechanism cause bad contact and make ther thing more likely to arc?? I have never cleaned it internally so wonder if its worth ripping apart. If I do where do i need to be careful to keep clean and dry?

If it gets hot it'll start spitting bits of lacquer at you through the air holes,when it does that it's time to bin it.

Buy a new one with a warranty ! Much better battery technology now=lithium ion Simply not worth spending money on old outdated unit

I can get through a De Walt in about 5 years and thats with constant use.

Get a new one from screwfix because as soon as you shell out for the repair the batteries will start to pack up...sods law.

DW907 brushes are replaceable - look for your nearest Agent via the DeWalt website and they wil be about £10 in a little plastic bag.

If they are stuck in their slides (with plaster dust!) then you might just need to clean them up.

Either way, do it quick before the arcing ruins the surface the brushes travel over...

Just seems a shame to bin it , there's nothing wrong with the drill

Are teh brushes inside the motor unit shown in the link..if so can I where would I spray the WD40?

Alternatively do I need a new motor at £27 quid....hmm...might be worth running it until it dies and then buy a new one for that price.

Tool has seen fair use over about 5 years. would a lot of plaster/dust in the mechanism cause bad contact and make ther thing more likely to arc?? I have never cleaned it internally so wonder if its worth ripping apart. If I do where do i need to be careful to keep clean and dry?
Don`t spray anything on the brushes.

I likewise have a pair of 18V Bosch drills that I bought 8-10 years ago . The drills themselves are still fine , and the batteries were as long as I used them regularly , but these days I tend to use them once every few weeks and they just don't hold much charge anymore .

Likewise I'll be replacing the full kit in the not too far distant future .

DW907 brushes are replaceable - look for your nearest Agent via the DeWalt website and they wil be about £10 in a little plastic bag.

If they are stuck in their slides (with plaster dust!) then you might just need to clean them up.

Either way, do it quick before the arcing ruins the surface the brushes travel over...

Looked on the dewalt website and on the expanded picture there I dont see any part number. Will ring a local agent tomorrow for a price.

With Howard on this one, I dont want to chuck the drill away ('scuse pun) as it still works fine.

Looked on the dewalt website and on the expanded picture there I dont see any part number. Will ring a local agent tomorrow for a price.
I`ve checked that to,and it does not show the brushes.If you do open the drill,you`ll see two wires on each side that feed the brushes.Is the smell like is burning sort of thing?

I think you can get the batteries inside the pack replaced ( there is a company near me that does it , called CPC services ) ...

Or if you are handy with a soldering iron , you could get the batteries from Maplin and do it yourself .

Inside the battery casing is just a load of ni-cd batteries soldered together ..

Just depends on whether you can be bothered .

Both my DeWalt batteries have just died on my drill ( within a month of each other ) ...

New batteries are £35 each plus post ...

Screwfix have an offer on currently , 18V DeWalt reduced from £180 to £100 , so its either 2 new batteries for £70 or a new drill for £100.

Dewalt DC100KA-GB 18V Cordless Combi Drill - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

I'm going for the new drill.

Yes but the batteries with the drill are nicads and only 1.3a/hour ones - pants !

It'll be fine for DIY ...

I have a 12V 1.3Ah DeWalt at the moment, it gets used most days , i've had it for 8 years . The batteries are only just dying.

If you intend to use it for heavy commercial use , i would agree with you , but around the house with occasional projects , it'll be fine.

Depends if you want to fill your toolbox with flashy tools that you really don't need ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom