My E63 asking for a litre of oil at 5,500 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
The car popped a message up on the dash to add a litre of oil at my next fuel fill up. Duely added a litre of 0-40w today.

Surprised it took this long as it's had a fair amount of hard work so far.

Anyone get asked to add oil between services?

Last edited:
It's f*cked Pete - mine, Dave's, Phil's, Steve's and H's don't do that.

Next the conrods will try to exit via the exhaust :eek:.

No one likes it when their cars consume oil...

But it's within MB's apec. So, annoying, but not really a problem?

Just check it's not due to a leak.

We're on 10k and put a litre in yesterday but I agree with John , yours is goosed

Ha ha :D

Actually, mine generally asks for a litre of oil at circa 4,000-mile intervals which is slightly higher consumption that Peter's.

Having seen the YouTube clips I suspect that my brake pads may last longer than his, though ;) :D

Next the conrods will try to exit via the exhaust :eek:.

Evil, evil man :devil:

I'm not saying I'm an anorak Pete, but I carry a litre in the boot cargo net, because when mine asks for oil I like to replenish straight away, not at the next fill up.

This came about after I was on the way to a gtg (Bruntingthorpe I think) and it called for oil. I spent ages trying to find some Mobil1 and nannying the car until I eventually got a litre from an Esso station costing about £22 :crazy:.

It seems they all do it - as did my previous M156.

Hahaha you're all mean :mad::bannana:

John, i filled up the same day on the way (yesterday) and bought oil and threw it in this morning. So not a long time.

I'm sure if it was more than a litre the car would have displayed a different message, but as the motor has 8 litres in it I'm sure 1 short won't make any difference.

Ha ha :D

Actually, mine generally asks for a litre of oil at circa 4,000-mile intervals which is slightly higher consumption that Peter's.

Having seen the YouTube clips I suspect that my brake pads may last longer than his, though ;) :D

I'm staying away from track days with it now, I've done two and I can see the start of cracks appearing from the drilled hole in the discs. :eek:

No one likes it when their cars consume oil...

But it's within MB's apec. So, annoying, but not really a problem?

Just check it's not due to a leak.

Definitely not a leak, but I have been thrashing the **** off it so I'm happy it's gone this far without asking. :thumb:

Spare a thought for my B-I-L; before Audi agreed to replace the engine his A5 2.0T was using 1 litre per 250 miles but their initial offer was to supply him with free oil while ever he owned the car!!!

Black beauty was doing a litre of oil per 3000 miles but that was either after a service where I suspect the dealer had been a bit short on the refill and then after a few hard runway runs and a Euro trip!

I hope the "white knight" E63 is better!!!

I'm staying away from track days with it now, I've done two and I can see the start of cracks appearing from the drilled hole in the discs. :eek:
Hmmm... My car has now done almost 42k miles and I noticed a few hairline cracks propagating from some of the drillings on the front discs when I gave it a good clean last weekend. Thickness-wise they're still well above the wear limit so I'm not planning to change them yet, but MOT time next year may change that :(

Hmmm... My car has now done almost 42k miles and I noticed a few hairline cracks propagating from some of the drillings on the front discs when I gave it a good clean last weekend. Thickness-wise they're still well above the wear limit so I'm not planning to change them yet, but MOT time next year may change that :(

My previous E63 had done 78K on it's original discs and was still (just) within spec.

...but as the motor has 8 litres in it I'm sure 1 short won't make any difference.
It's somewhere between 1.5L and 2L between min and max marks on the dipstick so I'm not too concerned about taking immediate action when my car asks for oil.

FWIW, I've only ever had the "add oil" message come up when travelling at motorway speed for at least 15 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom