My engines bigger than yours.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carat 3.6

MB Enthusiast
Car
S124 E300d wagon, W124 om606 monster, E46 v8 coupe
Time for something different.

As some of you will know, I work with commercial vehicles as well as cars. Yesterday a local independent bus operator sent me one of their newer vehicles, for a few routine jobs.

Now, most large buses have an engine of around 6.5 litres with a turbo, not this one....

DSC01762-1.jpg

DSC01761.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

As you might imagine, it is rather fast.:cool:

Irrational Express?

An engine bigger than a Smart. Wonder what the GPM is? :D

Impressive! I can however "top trump" you with my ERF EC14. I used to do a regular nightly run from South Manchester to Chingford in East London with this old girl (N123 DDM, probably shuffled off this mortal coil some time ago). We could do there and back (just) before I had to take a break (for those that dont know thats 45 mins after 4.5 hours, so 2.15 hrs each way inc. a trailer swap in the middle) hauling 38 tons @ 80 (+) mph.
I could do it without fuelling the (continental kit) twin 350 litre tanks but it was close. I seem to remember working it out at approaching 3 to the gallon but by Christ it was fast.
I was once passed (1986/7) going up the hill on the M25 between M4/M40 clockwise by a Volvo F16. I was in an F12 empty the F16 had a flat trailer with a full load of steel, I was doing 60mph. It was awesome to watch it and its black smoking twin stacks approaching in my mirror. There have been some fantastic truck (and bus/coach) engines that we'll probably never see the likes of again.
Polar bears and baby seals will thank us in the future.
Though 12 litres and twin turbo...Hmmm, what kind of horsepower/torque is that making? Maybe I'm wrong. Did you get chance to give it a good testing? :devil:

Impressive! I can however "top trump" you with my ERF EC14. I used to do a regular nightly run from South Manchester to Chingford in East London with this old girl (N123 DDM, probably shuffled off this mortal coil some time ago). We could do there and back (just) before I had to take a break (for those that dont know thats 45 mins after 4.5 hours, so 2.15 hrs each way inc. a trailer swap in the middle) hauling 38 tons @ 80 (+) mph.
I could do it without fuelling the (continental kit) twin 350 litre tanks but it was close. I seem to remember working it out at approaching 3 to the gallon but by Christ it was fast.
I was once passed (1986/7) going up the hill on the M25 between M4/M40 clockwise by a Volvo F16. I was in an F12 empty the F16 had a flat trailer with a full load of steel, I was doing 60mph. It was awesome to watch it and its black smoking twin stacks approaching in my mirror. There have been some fantastic truck (and bus/coach) engines that we'll probably never see the likes of again.
Polar bears and baby seals will thank us in the future.
Though 12 litres and twin turbo...Hmmm, what kind of horsepower/torque is that making? Maybe I'm wrong. Did you get chance to give it a good testing? :devil:

The old f16 was a beast, sadly I never got to sample one myself.:( Up untill recently, we kept a 1990 f12 here for collecting and returning trailers to be repaired. That was a 400hp unit, great fun to pull the fuse out of the speed limiter between the front seats, even possible to drift it when running light, not that I did that on the public roads of course.;)

As for the merc twin turbo 12 litre, I think it is rated at 428hp @ 1800rpm, and 2100nm @ 1100rpm. And I did give it a good testing.:D

And after 1min 56 secs he ran out of fuel!

There is a historic racing Bentley that hillclimbs which is fitted with a 24 litre W12 Napier Sea Lion engine, I gather the same guy has another car fitted with a 42 litre Packhard V12. I think both engines started life in military boats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom