My experience update from TOPGEAR in St.Albans.. can give nothing less than 10/10

what are your thoughts

• Love it

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • 50:50

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
so Top Gear Performance was the chosen fitter, and what a great bunch of guys they are - Simon was my first contact, then Eldin both were superb as were their staff.

Attention to detail and knowledge = 10/10
quality of fit = 10/10
improvement to sound = 3/10 (but this is probably down to me and what was possible on the car than down to them)

everything was exceptional, except the final sound, which is likely due to the complex electronics on the exhaust DPF, but overall, exceptional service and highly recommended for anyone wanting a mod.

So here are the pics, from start to finish that i have finally had a chance to upload

BEFORE WITH ORIGINAL DIFFUSER AND EXHAUST SET UP
ex1.JPG

REMOVAL OF DIFFUSER AND EXHAUST TIPS / REAR SILENCERS
ex2.JPG

FITTING OF ORIGINAL E63 DIFFUSER AND LIP
ex3.JPG

TEST POSITION FIT OF NEW TAIL PIPES
ex4.JPG

ELDIN USING HIS MUSCLES TO GET THE CORRECT ORIGINAL POSITION WHILST WELDING IN PROGRESS
ex5.JPG

NEW TAILPIPES WELDED STRAIGHT THROUGH
ex6.JPG

SOME CLEANING AND TIDYING UP
ex7.JPG

THE FINAL TOUCH
ex8.JPG

VOILA THE NEW TAILPIPES LOOKING RATHER LESS BORING THAN PREVIOUSLY.. FINALLY SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT WITH THE 212..
ex9.JPG

SIMON / ELDIN, THANK YOU
RASHMAN, BIG THANK YOU
FORUM MEMBERS, THANK YOU
WIFEY, WELL...UM... I DONT THINK SHE KNOWS .. OH WELL

Last edited:
That looks good, what about the sound then?

I can't see a diffuser at all, where is it?

rear diffuser is in most of the pics there.
sound change was minimal, hence it needs to be looked at possibly at some point.

the bottom trim needs colour coding, but is pretty much there visually

Looks good, how much did it cost?

Looks good , a diffuser is the ribbed thing you see on AMGs

possibly... lol.

trim / diffuser.. same thing to me :)

It's not just you, which is why technical threads don't get much of an airing on here anymore... ;)

All in your car looks fab.

Can you do a vid of the sound, please?

Are they proper AMG tips ?

Looks like there is an S class getting quad tips on the other ramp ?

yes, will make a vid soon, but realistically, you wont hear too much different, there is a slighty deeper edge, thats it.. its nice, defo not aggressive.

let me see what i can do :)

Looks good , a diffuser is the ribbed thing you see on AMGs

Sort of.

I would be interested to see what actual aerodynamic aid is given by these ribbed trim panels (lovingly called diffusers), over simple, plain panels.

A diffuser (as on a F1 car) acts as a ground effect splitter, to force the rear of the car down, these panels have no "wing" so can't do that.

Probably none , but they look soooooooo good

They've clearly done a good job in fitting them, but why the huge, uneven gaps around the tailpipes compared to the far neater originals? Do they vibrate a lot?

They've clearly done a good job in fitting them, but why the huge, uneven gaps around the tailpipes compared to the far neater originals? Do they vibrate a lot?

The originals are mounted to clips in the bumper "TRIM" and the exhaust is not connected to the exterior visual tips

so the exhaust previously was a seperate entity to the chrome tips..

the new exhaust has space as per original AMG tips, there will be more vibration, but in all honesty, i can not see much vibration, so i presume this is purely contingency should there be vibration

Possibly silly question: is there any claimed performance benefit in doing this mod?

Possibly silly question: is there any claimed performance benefit in doing this mod?

nothing specific as far as i am aware, i can not quantify it, but due to the improved flow, less back pressure, there is a gain, anywhere from 10 - 30 bhp... but this is purely based on perception and logic, and from Eldin, but i have no specific data on this..

does feel slightly more vibrant..

Im thinking of of a DPF delete now and remap to remove any subsequent errors..

any advice on this anyone?

cheers

Are they proper AMG tips ?

Looks like there is an S class getting quad tips on the other ramp ?

yes a s320 (W) reg getting twin duals..

their work on this was also very professional, and it did sound very smart and quite aggressive

Looks good, how much did it cost?

Hey, cost wise it was good, i cant go into specifics of what was paid, out of respect for the dealers pricing points going fwd, but anyone contemplating it wont be disappointed or shocked!

Last edited:
Audio of the new tail pipes..

there is a subtle difference, but all in all, its a mild change in sound..

[YOUTUBE]2WSoTMpxP0I[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom