My faith in society is coming back a little....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18122006/344/brits-reject-secularising-christmas.html

At last some ray of hope that the population have had enough of this PC rubbish.... How refreshing to see so many people vote to keep christmas as 'Happy christmas'.

I despair when I am told that we cannot say Happy christmas to our American colleagues. We have to say 'Happy holidays'...give me strength!!!

I got an xmas card BACK from my muslim neighbors the other year...

i thought nothing of writing a happy xmas card to all my immediate neighbors, and posting them (i had just moved in) - and none were offended - unsurprisingly.

The cheek of them sending you the same card back, some people... ;)

Having just moved from Berkshire to West Sussex I was fairly baffled on Sunday morning to receive a card from the couple in the house a few doors up. They didn't know our names and we'd never met them.

I'm definitely not offended, and maybe its just me but I wouldn't give a Christmas card to people I didn't know!

Rose Chap said:
Having just moved from Berkshire to West Sussex I was fairly baffled on Sunday morning to receive a card from the couple in the house a few doors up. They didn't know our names and we'd never met them.

Maybe it's simply to wish you a Merry Christmas and welcome you to the community? Afterall you're new, they've been there longer - good manners I'd say.

Unless you're both out cutting the grass or washing the car on a Sunday morning, then modern living doesn't really lend itself to passing time of day with neighbours. We very rarely see ours. I for one would encourage a little more community spirit amongst our neighbours, but it's easier said than done.

We give our neighbours a Christmas card every year. Two are Hindu, one is Muslim, one is Jewish, one is Zorastrian, two are Church of England and one is Methodist (we are Catholic). Last year every single one of them was glad to receive the card and all of them sent us cards (even the Jewish couple).

Having said that, my son goes to a Catholic nursery, and they are not allowed to write 'Merry Christmas' on cards they make. They write "season's greetings" or "happy holiday" or the like. It frankly makes me boil. We get a "Happy Eid" card when it's Eid, a "Happy Divali" card on Divali, but we can't get a "Merry Christmas" card on Christmas, for fear of insulting non-christians? There's something seriously wrong with that.

-simon

Rose Chap said:

I'm definitely not offended, and maybe its just me but I wouldn't give a Christmas card to people I didn't know!

Who was the card addressed to ?

Howard said:
Who was the card addressed to ?

No one! Blank envelope with a card saying Happy Christmas, from Jack* and Jill*, No 5.

* = Names changed to protect the innocent.

After huge internal debate my employer produced "Holiday Cards". Picture of a conifer with a bit of snow on it and our logo. Inside is wholly blank. It is the only card available.

Cunning thinking was that it was thus entirely secular and so could offend nobody! The cards are really dire: depressing and dull expressions of corporate cowardice. Already had some feedback from clients about how bad they are!

Nearly as bad as something I heard on the radio, where last week a school invited parents to hear their children "singing holiday songs around the gathering tree." Grrrrrr!

If I get a PC christmas card from any of our suppliers, I wont be using them again. (So Satch, don't tell me who you work for, but tell your employer my view!)

This PC cr*p is damaging our society (both morally and financially by burning huge amounts of tax money which should be better spent on those who need it rather than on employing these wooly minded idiots to make our country universally bland and equal to the lowest common denominator) - it needs to be stamped on immediately.

Richard

I see the real damage as being done by being "PC" rather than addressing the issue that is intended to be avoided (if you see what I mean?!).

If you are a woman looking to get into a job that is often seen as a male preserve, then encouraging you to gain the experience to make you a good candidate is fine (in fact it is sensible!). If, lets say, that job is delivering the mail (errr, sorry, POST :D ) then changing the Job Title from PostMAN to Post Delivery Person, might help, but not much...

The difficulty of being an average white man is that it IS actually difficult to understand why someone might feel excluded because of their sex, colour etc (and that not every minority feels excluded leaves you with a mixed message too?).

My employer has great difficulty filling posts that are seen as male-dominated and in fact, the quality of the work done in these male-only environments suffers from being too narrow minded - but persuading women to apply for posts is a devil (a real catch 22).

And to top it off "They are being too PC" is an excuse used by bigots to justify their point of view too!!!

:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom