!!My First Car Ever!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

-Merc-

Car
1973 Mercedes 230 Compact
:rock:

1973 Mercedes 230 Compact

Paid $1700 New Zealand Dollars

Specs:
2300cc
Straight 6
Twin Carb
All original Boot and Floor mats
4 spd maual
106,000 miles

:rock:

Im trying to decide what colour to paint her.

What do you think?!

Attachments

• My Car1.jpg
    My Car1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 222
  • My Car.jpg
    My Car.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 223
  • My Car2.jpg
    My Car2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Love the period acessory hanging from the mirror!

Nice car - this was the model that showed me that Mercedes made the best built car in the world.

Also, look at the shut lines. Manufacturers could learn from those today.

That's an unusual model then - if it is the 230.6 with the six cylinder engine , as that was normally ( at least in Europe ) only fitted to the LWB models used by the wedding & funeral people . The standard wheelbase model here , which replaced the 220/8 was the 230.4 which was a 4 cylinder .

The centre console with the radio is completely different from the European models too , sticks out much more - does your car have air-con perhaps ?

The white suits the car well , but I was always being asked to do wedding runs in mine .

I learned to drive , and passed my test , in the car below ( 1970 W115 220/8 )which I inherited from my dad a couple of years later when he replaced it with the then new W123 200 .

126J-6.jpg

126J-3.jpg

126Jinterior.jpg

That is the car I have to thank for still being on this earth as I survived a head-on crash with a guy in a Crapi who tried to overtake an Artic round a blind bend on a fast A road ; of course he was drunk , had 'stolen' the car which was registerd in his father's name , had no licence , and no insurance ! He broke 3 out of four limbs ( can't remember which ones ) and ended up in hospital before disappearing ; I was unhurt , save from a scratch to one eye caused by a piece of glass , was able to open the door of my car and step out ( the engine was even still running after the crash ! ) - it has always been Mercedes for me ever since !

Last edited:
looks like you got a good deal there!! interiors far better nick then mine is in! where in NZ are you living? we've just moved back from Christchurch. Can't wait to get back there!

"I survived a head-on crash with a guy in a Crapi who tried to overtake an Artic round a blind bend on a fast A road ".

I imagine this was the 2 door ford coupe (sports car) with a long bonnet that was fashionable back in the day. Rather appropriate name for some of their models.

nice classic merc!

i look forward to updates as/when you paint her.

I like it in the existing pale blue, well at least thats what it looks like in the pictures. Goes well with the interior and it would be much easier and cheaper as you wont have to paint the door shuts, engine bay etc if your on a budget. :)

Last edited:
Nice car. That's how I remember MBs as a kid, with "real" Mercedes lights and grille... also the instruments.

Good luck with it :thumb:

According to my calculator that's 670 of our English pounds - bargain! :bannana:

Enjoy..

Cheers,

Gaz

Hi there and Welcome to the forum.Looks like you have got a nice plan.In my opinion gloss black would look good,and regarding the whells lovely cos they suit the car.

One word of advice - try to avoid modifications that can't be reversed later : I bought my 1957 W105 Ponton when I was only a little older than you are now , and proceeded to fit it out with stereo ( speakers mounted into all 4 door cards ) , CB radio etc etc .

Luckily , I was able to obtain a replacement set of door cards in the correct colour , but that was down to good luck more than anything else . Now , 27 years later , I'm very glad I didn't do anything totally irreversible to my car . I now have a period Blaupunkt radio ready to go back in ( although the 1970's Pioneer radio/cassette unit is still in there just now , along with the door mounted speakers ) all will be restored to original spec in due course .

Doing things like fitting different wheels ( even engine swaps ) are all fine as long as you hang onto the originals so they can be put back later .

Hope you manage to hold on to yours until it is 50+ years old . At that point you'll probably value originality .

Good luck with it .

Last edited:
yeah ive kept the orig radio and im just going to put new speakers in the old mounts but all in due time because i have to get a job first.

well she had $2000 of rust removed so she is kinda patches of primer and not that specific colour, lol i shoulda specifyed that those were before shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom