My first house: has a garage!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMuller

Car
C32 AMG
Just exchanged on a new build and a big reason for picking this one was the double length garage!

Looking forward to keeping the cars inside!

1z3p0xs.jpg

Just exchanged on a new build and a big reason for picking this one was the double length garage!

Looking forward to keeping the cars inside!

Well done congratulations !

Nice one. What internal dimensions are you going for? I'm likely getting a house that I'll needed to (re)build a garage - most houses for sale have garages with internal and door dimensions based on the 1950s (like motorway speeds).

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first house, and for choosing one with a nice garage.

There are a few things I've learnt about using a single width garage to maximise space, like bolting 2x2 lengths of wood along the lengh a few inches off the floor to let the rim rub against it without damaging it, or arches. Same for rear as a stop for the tyres at the optimum place. Gluing carpet tiles on the wall to guard door edges etc.

They can be kitted out nicely, I've just started with mine, planning boarding it out and tiling. Also considering changing the two single doors for a double.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd have to double check the measurements but I think some carpet will go on the wall as well.

Next job is to paint the floor and build a little cupboard for all the detailing stuff!

You'll be starting a Wednesday evening garage drinking club for your mates then...:):)

Last edited:
Plan is here but no measurements. Looked wide enough but I reckon still a few bits of carpet on the walls! With a squeeze I might be able to get the merc and the miss's little Suzuki alto in. Otherwise the alto has to stay outside on the drive!

s2ci0h.png

Last edited:
That's a weird shape?? Why did they not make a bigger utility??

Anyway a win for the gearheads...

Yeah plan it and get in some good benching and storage...

My wee mess...
c77c9cb4a1c30c56b571f7d463f6a4e8.jpg

Nice one OP. I was very fortunate that my first (and current) place has a garage. Although admittedly it doesn't have either Merc in it but a different car.

I would love a proper double garage though and a car port....one day! haha

Nice starter home. Isle of Wight too. What's the history of the Manor? You'll have to brush up on your Keats.

Last edited:
Well the background searches showed that the manor used to be a lunatic asylum, a mortuary, and it shows it was also an "unspecified pit". It's allegedly the most haunted place on the island.

Looks like I'll fit right in!

Somehow a double garage seems more than twice as big as two singles, I guess because there's no inner wall.

I sealed my floor first with a wash of knocked-down pvc glue, and then some ceramic garage floor paint. Then I covered it with old rugs, ends of carpet rolls - some left over from when we recarpeted and then whatever I could get cheap/free. Carpet stores always have cheap end of rolls at the back of the shop.

Mine is carper tiled. Though the car doesn't get in there much...the tiles move around when trying to steer...even a little.

I am on my second house and progressed to own drive. Who can afford a garage in SE London eh :(

Mine has wood floor, plastered walls, insulated ceiling, wall uplighters and a centre ceiling light.

6 double sockets and central heating.

A fridge, coffee machine and amp/speakers.

It's a 70s double so a single and three quarters in terms of modern cars.

Mine is a double, but has the bike and a trailer in it, and is about 2ft too short for an S212 :(.

Looking at a small extension to enable me to get the car in.

Do you think I can find a museum to loan the bike to? - they all seem to want it donated :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom