My first Merc, cheap insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Hi all, I am brand new to this forum, been checking previous posts to find info on the C180 before I buy one, guess what, I bought one today from my local dealership, a lovely 1998 C180 Elegance in smoke silver, right, I have been looking through recommended insurance companies on this forum and have just been quoted via the online forms £282.27 fully comp for me and the wife with protected no claims from e sure. I dont know if it will turn out more expensive because I have another 2 vehicles and non claims can only be used on one vehicle (my van) and discounts apply to the other vehicle I own. I pick up my car next Friday, I can't wait.

Congrats on your new car....

Nice Colour.... nice Elegance Trim ! ;) ;) Enjoy !

(Your insurance quote will make some people in here very upset! I think there are some companies in previous insurance threads that will provide a multiple car policy)

S.

Originally posted by sym
Your insurance quote will make some people in here very upset!
£282.27? Wish I paid as little as that per month! ;)

Welcome to the forum Andy :)

I obtained a brilliant quote from Sainsbury's @ £480ish inc no claims protection etc...for my new C180 when it arrives...my present insurer (churchills) quoted me £850......I have been with them for 10 accident free years...it is a true example for people to shop around each year(i was too lazy)

The Car sounds Great Andy I have C180 Elegance 1997, it has done over 120,000 miles...without any major problems.

I envy your Insurance Andy...do you live on a remote Island?

Joe

Last edited:
Good choice, I've had mine about 18 Months and it's been great. I've just had to replace an ABS sensor, that's all. I get 450 miles to a tank and my insurance is about £220 fully comp, both from Tescos. It wont accelerate that quickly but once rolling it's fine. A very affordable Mercedes.

Is it an auto, or as my local dealer calls them in the paper "the rarer" manual?

Not long now.

Enjoy.

Welcome to Mercedes ownership.:)

The Elegance is very nice and comfortable. You can't complain at that price for insurance.:bannana:

Hi andy & welcome.Didn't think i'd see anyone local, Im in Newcastle where are you?

Thanks for the wellcome, I live in a little place called Packmoor in Stoke on Trent not far from Tunstall, the car is an auto and will be parked on the drive not garaged, my other cheap quote was with the AA, £315 fully comp which I thought was ok, I also have my van and the wifes Micra with the AA, when my van was due for renewal this year I played the AA off with another company and got £160 knocked off by the AA, this insurance lark is nothing but a scam. Incidentally I may be of assistance if any body requires advice on refrigerant types in car air conditioning systems as I am a self employed refrigeration and air conditioning engineer, I dont know much about Merc A/C yet but I have repaired and regassed cars for over 20 years ranging from Rolls Royce to Japanese grey imports and I know where to get some patten parts from such as condensers. My only thought about the C180 was it seems slightly underpowered on acceleration, Some interesting posts on superchips and air filters, I will definately look into that if it seems worth while.

Welcome Andy.
I have a C180 esprit with an A/C problem.
It's been in the stealers for a week (for a radiator and wheel bearing as well) and they now tell me they can't sort the A/C because it's not a genuine part, but an aftermarket DIAVIA system.:crazy:
With regards to your recent purchase, the 180's are brill when they are rolling and in standard mode.
I improved mine a bit by getting it chipped, a "powerful" rear box and a green cotton air filter.
They make quite a difference.
Could I ask how much you paid for it as I'm thinking of selling mine.
The stealers in Medway offered me £6k for it yesterday up against a £32k brand spanker.:mad: :mad:
Cheers,
Graeme.

Originally posted by GRAV888
Welcome Andy.
It's been in the stealers for a week (for a radiator and wheel bearing as well) and they now tell me they can't sort the A/C because it's not a genuine part, but an aftermarket DIAVIA system.:crazy:
With regards to your recent purchase, the 180's are brill when they are rolling and in standard mode.
I improved mine a bit by getting it chipped, a "powerful" rear box and a green cotton air filter.
The stealers in Medway offered me £6k for it yesterday up against a £32k brand spanker.:mad: :mad:
Cheers,
Graeme.

Quite good price I would have thought. Especially from a dealer to whom your modifications de-value the car.

Hi guys, the car was up for £11,000 I got it in the end for £9750, a little expensive when you see whats available from non main dealers I know, but the reasons why I paid the extra was for the peace of mind if something expensive goes wrong with my first Merc, the after sales back up and most of all the colour. I could not find another smoke silver Elegance despite looking hard. The car has also had 2 owners and only done 38,000 miles and looks new. All in all I am very pleased and can not wait until next friday.

Regarding the Daivia air con what exactly is the problem with the system, if its any use there are 2 dealers in my area who fit Daivia and may have parts or information.

Right, I knew the insurance was too good to be true, because my five years no claims are on my van, and we get discount on the Micra which my wife drives as a named driver I have to start again on the Merc. I have been quoted £800 + as the car has no discount, the AA yet again have come up trumps because I am a member and have my other two vehicles with them have got me an introductory discount with Zurich, £453.01 fully comp me and the wife, beleive it or not it is cheaper to have the wife on the policy than just me, how do they work that out as she is not going to touch it if I can help it, shes lethal in the Micra as a previous post I saw about Micras she does not use the rear view mirror because I quote " I want to see where I am going not where I have been"

Originally posted by Andy W
she does not use the rear view mirror because I quote " I want to see where I am going not where I have been"

Can't see the aftermath she means

Originally posted by GRAV888
Welcome Andy.
Cheers,
Graeme.

Id take the 6k and run in case they realise what they have done. MB used prices arent what they used to be :mad:

Unless you have a rare one. Sorry to hear about your A/c problems.

I insured with Norwich Union. I Foolishly gave my wife my no claims as then we had only one car. I now pay £31.13 per month and I find that quite reasonable...........but there again there are bound to be better deals around, i'm just lazy lol

Originally posted by Andy W
Right, I knew the insurance was too good to be true, because my five years no claims are on my van, and we get discount on the Micra which my wife drives as a named driver I have to start again on the Merc. I have been quoted £800 + as the car has no discount, the AA yet again have come up trumps because I am a member and have my other two vehicles with them have got me an introductory discount with Zurich, £453.01 fully comp me and the wife, beleive it or not it is cheaper to have the wife on the policy than just me, how do they work that out as she is not going to touch it if I can help it, shes lethal in the Micra as a previous post I saw about Micras she does not use the rear view mirror because I quote " I want to see where I am going not where I have been"

Just an idea: why not do a change of vehicle on the Micra policy, so that the Merc (with the higher base premium) gets the max NCB and start the new policy on the Micra with the introductory discount?

Out of the three cars, the Merc is going to have the highest base premium, so you want to use the maximum NCB on that. Does that make sense?

It was cheaper for me to have my girlfriend on the policy than not to have her on. Something to do with being a calming influence :D .

Cheers

Andrew

If its your only vehicle and you have 4 years no claims E Sure were the cheapest by far. Insurance has always been a problem, I have recently sold a TR7 convertible and a motorbike, a total of 4 vehicles I was taxing, insuring and MOTing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom