My First Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cpjitservices

Car
C180 2.0
Hi all,

First time posting so go easy!! :)

Picked up my first Merc today. It cost me the grand total of £90.

Yes £90. She's rather rough around the edges but nothing that cant be treated. She's a C180 2.0 Estate on an 02 plate Automatic. its on 198,766k Miles.

Apart form a few rust spots on the arches and bottoms of doors she seems ok. The boot lid is the worst. She drives tight enough, enough power in the engine goes through gears fine and sounds ok except for the blowing exhaust.

It is a dog, BUT. I like it. I'd of preferred a diesel version but the this was being given away at £100. the chap just wanted it off his drive.

Its hasnt got an MOT.

Is it worth me putting it through one ?

Thanks all in advance.

For the cost of 50 quid what have you got to lose, car sounds ok, but I suppose the mot will cost half of what you paid for the car lol

I'm pretty sure a valid MOT would at least double the value of your car. It seems like a worthwhile investment.

Why would you buy it otherwise if not to MOT and use it - for spares?

I was mainly wondering whether it would be worth it since its at 197k miles.

I think I will MOT it next week if I can. Great looking car.

Seems the central locking sticks a bit is that common ?

Thank for all of the replies.

I am impressed, expected to find a flat battery this morning but she fired first turn of the key!!

:)

Why would you buy it otherwise if not to MOT and use it - for spares?

Presumably not if it's his first Merc.

Good luck with the MOT - let us know how you get on. I wonder though if the previous owner tried to get one and realised there was something expensive wrong: hence the 'bargain' price.

Presumably not if it's his first Merc.

Or presumably so as spares could be used for another family member's or friend's Merc.

Not sure if this applies to an 02 but older MB's have vacuum operated central locking which is a little slower to operate than you are used to and may explain your concern about them sticking.

Pretty certain it won't pass an MOT if the exhaust is blowing. Might be worth shelling out on some gun gum before you take it in..

Cheers,

Gaz

Thanks for the advice all I will see if I can find some Exhaust Gum and see what I can do with that unless a mate of mine can weld it up. Im going to get it booked in for MOT as soon as.

Another thing ive noticed, when I start her up the revvs are fluctuating ? Any advice on that ?

It is. I put it on my mates ramps for a pre MOT. I could see just by lifting it off the ground as the bottom of the car became visible... It was bin fodder.

I wrote a list, and filled both sides of an A4 sheet of paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom