My first mod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
I changed the fog lights and side lights on my car as they both looked very yellow next to the HID lights. I think it looks cool now

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Tried taking a picture myself but it didn't come out very well so pinched someone else's who had the same bulbs. Those fog lights cost £70 by the time I'd paid delivery and import duty.:mad:

Hmm, what shall I do next.

Last edited:
I couldn't find that size bulb over here (in an HID look colour) so ordered them from the States. Then had to pay $30 delivery then UPS charged me the £22 import duty/VAT/handling fee.

The fog lights are from Lighting Research, very prompt service, they delivered the bulbs in a couple of days (from the US). PIAA bulbs which you can buy in the UK are very good, which is where I got the side lights from, but they don't do a H11 bulb.

Next I might look at hard wiring my NavMan unit and maybe a Road Angel (seeing Jimmy on friday for a demo). Quite nervious about taking the dash apart though.

Looks very nice! much much better! what are you using for your 'side lights' ?

I tried three different bulbs first I tried phillips Bluevision but they didn't look white enough, then I tried PIAA Xtreme White but they were too blue so ended with PIAA Platinum White which is what people on the US forums have been using.

The fog lights come on when ever I unlock the doors or turn the ignition off rather than the HID lights, I guess to save power and it now looks much nicer with the white light.

How come you never tried the LED 'bulbs'

Im sure with the bulb out warning system , the LED bulbs require an in line resistor to work right.

I have the LED's sitting here! As Jason said not only did the bulb out warning light come on they didn't work at all (I guess it cuts the power when it thinks the bulb has gone). I can't be bothered to wire in a resistor.

Originally posted by RichardM
I have the LED's sitting here! As Jason said not only did the bulb out warning light come on they didn't work at all (I guess it cuts the power when it thinks the bulb has gone). I can't be bothered to wire in a resistor.

can you bring them to the GTG ? I want to try them on mine pls.

No problem, but you'll probably need to remind me closer to the time!

Further to Richard's recommendation, I just got some of the PIAA Super Platinum White Side Light Bulbs

piaa.jpg

Very Japanese looking, aren't they !

They look much brighter in daylight . . so I'm sure they will look good in the dark ! Piccy to follow later.

Got them from www.a-pp.com who delivered within 18 hours of ordering ! Would recommend them. They seem to have a good range of Headlight Bulbs too, so might upgrade to some of those at some point.

S.

Originally posted by sym
... Piccy to follow later...
Before and afters? or just afters? Hehe I'm guessing you must have fitted them if they seem brighter in daylight. :p Or how about one side with the PIAA's and one normal please? :D

I always thought my side lights looked really yellowy. I was impressed with K.'s results with Rich's LED bulbs but like Rich I don't wanna start messing with load equalisers/parallel resistors as they do tend to run hot from all the stuff I've read and kinda defeats the object of having really efficient LED bulbs with resistors soaking up power just to fool the clever brains.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I always thought my side lights looked really yellowy. I was impressed with K.'s results with Rich's LED bulbs but like Rich I don't wanna start messing with load equalisers/parallel resistors as they do tend to run hot from all the stuff I've read and kinda defeats the object of having really efficient LED bulbs with resistors soaking up power just to fool the clever brains.
Yeah but they look cool Steve ;)

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I always thought my side lights looked really yellowy.

They look even more yellow next to HID lights! I'm still really pleased with the results of changing those and the fog lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom