My first post! - Help on Winter driving, plse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Busker

Hi everyone - I didn't want this to be my first post but here goes. I'm a very proud owner of a W203 - new as at Sept 1st 03. 220CDi SE (hence auto) - now I've never owned an auto before (or Merc come to that!!) so it was a heart in the mouth type moment. However both wifey and myself love it. I'd driven autos before but never my own so when the recent snows (all 2inches of it) fell on Norwich at rush hour the place just stopped. The half hour journey home took Four :( - However due to the 'wrong type' of conditions the roads were sheet ice. This is hopefully my saving grace!

Having never driven the thing in those conditions before I was just a mite careful. Yes I sussed the traction control - needed to turn it off once to get up a hill and yes ABS works so well (not) in those conditions. The speed of the traffic ditated a snails pace. The most worrying thing was that the back end was way light and at the slow speed it just wanted to go with the camber of the road. The only way to correct it was to give the car some gas and a touch of opp lock. Driving down narrow streets with cars on either side was certainly entertaining!

Took the opportunity the following day to experiment and on normal snow covered roads with the auto in 'Winter' mode things were much more predictable.

Was it just the sheet ice or does this happen lots?

Excuse the long post!

Busker

Welcome to the forum !

What are you used to driving ?

Most rear wheel drives will be a nightmare in slippy conditions, and sometimes the "driver aids" don't work to your advantage. The winter mode on the auto should help, but its a case of as little throttle as possible, and taking it easy when the roads get like that . . . oh, and watch out for getting stuck on hills !!

S.

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm afraid what you have experienced is pretty typical for a front engined rear wheel drive automatic car. They are not the best performers in snow or any slippery conditions. Funnily enough this topic has been discussed recently on another MB forum too.

If you want to minimise your excitement factor when driving on the slippery stuff you've really only got two options...

1.) Fit winter tyres, these will perform much better in snow.
2.) Use snow chains.

Personally I hate driving in snow in any rear wheel drive automatic, so try to avoid it if at all possible.

S.

No real problems this year but remember to knock the stick into neutural approaching junctions or the front wheels will lock and be pushed along by the rears.

Thanks guys - I'll try the 'Neutral' suggestion from Dieselman. This ties in with my ginger application of the brakes. I've owned rear wheel drive sports cars in the past and driven on skid pans but I was honestly surprised as to how light the Merc felt. I wrongly assumed that the Germans' would have had this licked.

So I guess I now praying for some more snow ;)

…but ze Germans have a cunning plan

Busker said:
I wrongly assumed that the Germans' would have had this licked.

Ze Germans have a cunning plan, their cars have to use snow tyres in the winter. On these, a Merc has no problems in the snow.

Andy

Here in Norway the ice and snow is not the problem as long as you follow some simple rules.
1. Fitt good winter tyres just before the snow arrives (sept-oct)
2. Use your brain. Do not take any risks
At the moment I can`t see my garden fence due to snow, but driving is really good and in fact quite safe.
Anyway. 18th of february in the UK. Allmost springtime what?
Jon Tore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom