'My first SL'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Last night I joined the ranks of SL owners .

A month or so back , fellow member Steven Sharp had placed an ad in the classifieds here , looking to exchange his R129 300SL-24 for an estate car ; to which I replied with a view to swapping my C270 and my Ponton for it .

Those who have read my posts on here will know that I became a bit cheesed off with the C270 following the numerous repairs I had to have carried out within a short time of buying it and following that , it is hard to turn one's feelings about a car round again .

I was completely straight with Steven , pointing out the problems I had had with injectors ( all five now having been replaced at not inconsiderable cost ) , swirl flaps , the exhaust starting to blow and the beginnings of corrosion here and there .

The Ponton was almost part of my family , having been in my ownership some 33 years , but latterly I was watching it slowly deteriorate every time I visited my mum's where it was kept , and with the realisation that , at the age of 57 ( one year younger than the car ) I was unlikely to ever get around to restoring it , I offered it in exchange along with the C Class .

We both had a good look over each other's cars , went away to have a think about it , then agreed it was a deal = straight swap .

Last night I picked up the SL and drove it home to my home in Ayrshire . The SL is not without its issues - as to be expected from a 'bargain basement' R129 . There are the beginnings of rust on one front wing and also on one rear wheel arch - no worse than the C Class I was exchanging . Besides that , there are issues with the central locking not working and electric adjustment of the passenger seat - these are things I can deal with . There are also a lot of minor things like little bits of trim missing or broken - all can be dealt with .

The car drives very well , the exhaust sounds a bit loud , but I was underneath and couldn't detect any obvious leaks :dk: The coolant level warning light came on driving home last night - no obvious leaks and the exhaust looked clear enough ( no steam ) - reservoir was low but not empty so topped up and hasn't happened again , but I will keep an eye on it . I will do an oil/filter change at the weekend as oil pressure is dropping to 1 bar at hot idle , but in my experience fresh oil and a new filter will generally sort this out .

All in all I think we made a fair exchange of two cars that each had their separate issues and both quite pleased with the deal .

I'm planning to just run the SL over the next month or two , pretty much as-is , but attending to some of the smaller issues while I get the 190E ready for the road , then once I have it to fall back on again , I can treat the SL as a rolling restoration and a fun car for the summer .

I will take some pictures of the SL later and post them up here .

TPFKAP?

I'm sorry to see the Ponton go, I hope the new owner is a good custodian and I can attest to the fun of restoring a car.

Meanwhile enjoy the SL!

Will your user name have to change now?

I think I've been known by it far too long .

Besides , if I ever win the lottery I just might get another one .

Well done. Great cars. I know you will keep us updated. Congratulations on the swop.

Well done Derek, a change is as good as a rest as they say. I love the 300-24 engine (M104.98X). Its on my list of engines to have, that I have not owned yet.

Arguably one of the best of the straight six engines.

Enjoy.

Well done Derek, a change is as good as a rest as they say. I love the 300-24 engine (M104.98X). Its on my list of engines to have, that I have not owned yet.

Arguably one of the best of the straight six engines.

Enjoy.

Thanks Matt , I previously had a 300TE-24 so was already aware of the engine and its characteristics - it really takes off at the top end of the range , although I'm content to just potter around these days .

Tonight I spent an hour or so stripping down the nearside door seat control switch , desoldering then resoldering the circuit board - I'm pleased to report that full functionality has now been restored , and my young son will now be able to sit in the back seat with somewhere to put his legs . I'll need to try him both with and without his booster seat to see which way is safest/most comfortable with just the fitted lap belts for now ; I may look at getting a three point belt for him . If he's sitting within the contours of the fitted seat the lap belt may be enough , although I'm not sure whether the fitted rear seat is a 'child seat' and hence the legality of not using a booster seat ... I guess as long as he's securely restrained and can't fly out in the event of something happening it ought to be OK .

The cable for the switch illumination must be at large within the innards of the door as it wasn't among the loom with the switch connectors - a lot of the trim is loose and the central locking problem may well lie within this door , so the door card will be coming off for inspection and refitting this weekend .

Last edited:
what is the mileage, check gearbox as that suspect at around 140k.

hope roof works fine too

w129 are undervalued engine topless driving this summer and beyond

Mileage is 142K ; gearbox seems fine , but an ATF and filter change is planned . Mind you , the gearbox in my 300TE-24 lasted to 430K

Engine oil and filter this weekend and also going to get a new battery today .

Just need to find somewhere to store hardtop before I can go topless .

Would like a good look at your new car Derek. If it can wait till the end of June a trip up on the hoist might see the gearbox fluid changed as a bonus?

my young son will now be able to sit in the back seat with somewhere to put his legs . I'll need to try him both with and without his booster seat to see which way is safest/most comfortable with just the fitted lap belts for now ; I may look at getting a three point belt for him . If he's sitting within the contours of the fitted seat the lap belt may be enough , although I'm not sure whether the fitted rear seat is a 'child seat' and hence the legality of not using a booster seat ... I guess as long as he's securely restrained and can't fly out in the event of something happening it ought to be OK .

I looked into this and although the rear seats were specifically designed by M-B as child seats they (obviously) don't have the current certification so aren't legally recognised as such. Technically you should therefore use a booster, but this would serve no purpose with a lap belt and would arguably be dangerous (because the booster wouldn't sit properly in the 'bucket' type seat, and would raise the child rather close to the rollbar). I have never used a booster seat in the back with ours.

Speaking of the rollbar, you know you have to manually raise this when the rear seats are in use?

There's a switch on the dash that raises it. Never ever drive with it lowered and someone in the back. It will deploy if you brake hard at 30 mph and would take your head off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom