My first w219 front window regulator replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solcom

Car
E220D AMG LINE ESTATE
How was it for you? I dont think im ever going to get over it
I served my time as a mechanic and take vehicle trim in and out all day fitting telematics systems so when one of my cables snapped in my 2008 CLS320 i said "ha! No problem ill soon sort that out".
So i made a few price enquiries and after i picked myself up off the floor i ordered a new replacement one from europarts.
Part arrived this morning and i embarked on my journey off removing the broken mercedes regulator, got the panel off and electrics no problem at all but was then confronted by what can only be described as one of da vinci's creations consisting of pulleys, levers, cables, ropes and secret bolts behind rubber flaps!
Took me an hour to get it out.
Europart regulator much easier to refit but can only be described as a sack of s**t! And doesnt go all the way up, leaves a 5mm gap up the side if you dont wrestle with the glass first and theres a rattle that comes from the tightening of the "special spacer" which is basically an M10 washer
So recommendations on how im going to sort this out please

Paul

Mine went yesterday. No time to spend sorting myself so after an utter farce with MB Tonbridge who quoted £570 to supply and fit, I am now booked into MB Dartford to resolve. Who quoted over £200 less for the same job. What is it with the dealers, the customer service was frankly appalling at Tonbridge, even the basics of just speaking to service involved two dropped calls and then an absurd quote. Wish I was closer to the indies for this stuff.

Nice job to do, done loads now, don't think I would bother with aftermarket though!

After reading a forum I brought the cables and plastic wheel from ebay via a 3rd party in the belief that it would be straight forward.

After removing it,which took about 45mins and trying to get the correct tension I bit the bullet and brought the proper item.

Ended up buying from our local Mercedes dealership via ebay at £143.

This is complete with both metal sliders and the cable pre tensioned.

Fiddly to put it back into the vehicle and obviously as you said connecting and tightening all the bolts up-take time at this stage to make sure you connect it back in as close to the original position as possible otherwise you will have alignment issues.

Once aligned I test ran it up and down by just connecting it electrically supporting the door card on a box.Once this was complete I fitted the door card.

Now you have to "learn" the window top and bottom positions.

When it is run to the close position hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds and repeat this in the down position.

Hope this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom