My first warning message.....advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merlin13

Hi Guys,

My SL500 (R230) has today thrown up its first warning message.

It says "BRAKE PAD WEAR! VISIT WORKSHOP!" Its obviously a wear and tear issue. Before I start to panic that I may lose brakes any day soon, I thought I would ask you guys just how early this message tends to appear in your experience???

Your thoughts wouldbe much appreciated.

Many thanks
Jay

Hi Guys,

My SL500 (R230) has today thrown up its first warning message.

It says "BRAKE PAD WEAR! VISIT WORKSHOP!" Its obviously a wear and tear issue. Before I start to panic that I may lose brakes any day soon, I thought I would ask you guys just how early this message tends to appear in your experience???

Your thoughts wouldbe much appreciated.

Many thanks
Jay
You can go 500 miles without worry, your pads are worn out thats all, easy to do yourself

I would be suprised if any problems emerged within 1,000 miles of 'normal driving'. Sooner the better though.

dont understand the reply:confused:

If they have only done 14k from new, as most cars get 20k plus I was thinking that 1k on the car with SBC brakes might be a bit far.

For any other car I would say the same as you as nothing wrong with your answer

I'm confused...........................So is another 500 miles achievable or are we saying nerer to 1000???

My merc guys had an accident on bonfire night and in the burns unit so cant change them for 3-4 weeks and I have no idea about doing it myself.

I'm confused...........................So is another 500 miles achievable or are we saying nerer to 1000???

My merc guys had an accident on bonfire night and in the burns unit so cant change them for 3-4 weeks and I have no idea about doing it myself.

Merc GUYs.... burnt on BONFIRE NIGHT
Did any one else spot that????? HA.

I'm fairly new to Mercedes so I would take note of what TV says.

I appreciate what everyone is saying but perhaps I don't agree with the logic. If we say they will be safe for another 1000 miles and they gouge your disc's then this will be a very expensive few miles. If you want to eek out the last few miles then I would strongly recommend you check the pads and confirm how much there is remaining.

I hate hindsight and if these pads damage the disc's then we can all say, "Why didn't you change them when you were told by the sensor?" We all have different driving styles and 1000 miles of your steady driving might equate to my silly 250 miles. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry.

Good luck with the decision
John

I agree. And thats why I stated 'sooner the better'. But surely they have the sense to build some sort of safety margin into it. My point wasn't to encourage him to drive as far as possible.
Thanks
Jay

You can go 500 miles without worry, your pads are worn out thats all, easy to do yourself

If you do these yourself, unplug the connector to the SBC, because the system will operate the brakes when it feels like and chop your fingers off.

Really you are meant to disable it with Star diagnosis first

I'd agree with the change ASAP principle, disks are expensive, so is failing brakes..

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom