my head lamp adjusters don’t work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mw2510

Car
Hi,
I was checking my head lamp switch the other day to see if it is illuminated and found it isn’t. I then found out that my head lamp adjusters don’t work. Any one got any ideas how to or what to check to find out why? :confused: i have never checked them befor so dont know if they have worked since i had the car. The car is a 1996 c280. Many thanks.

The headlamp adjusters work on vacuum pressure. The vacuum hose is purple and runs underneath each headlamp. Unless you have a purple car this hose should be very obvious! It has likely just popped off the bottom of one of the headlamp adjustment mechanisms and this probably affects both headlamps. Good luck checking it on the left-hand side of the engine bay as the access/visibility is poor on that side due to the airbox ;)

If you can hear a hissing sound from the region of the headlight switch then the adjuster is goosed and a new one will be required. They cost about £30 and take about 15 mins to fit

hi,
i have checked the pipes the best i can, both are connected to the head lamps. there is one purple pipe connected to the valve block by the fuse box. this makes a sucking noise when removed. i have disconnected the join between the head lamps near the air con fans and applied a vacuum and both head lamps go up. i can hear no sucking noise from the switch. this says to me that maybe the switch is faulty unless i am missing something obvious. is there any way of checking the switch as i have not done this yet? i hope this makes sence.

well i finally got there. i found a pipe had got crushed flat under the dashboard. no idea how. cut off the damaged pipe and rejoined it, now works fine.

well i finally got there. i found a pipe had got crushed flat under the dashboard. no idea how. cut off the damaged pipe and rejoined it, now works fine.
Good job, thanks for letting us know! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom