My holiday is off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Car
1999 C43 AMG
As many of you will know - XL airways went bust this morning.

I was due to go away for a couple of weeks with them next week to the Carribbean. That's now not happening, and I have to fill in copious forms to try and get my hard-earned back. Apparently I SHOULD get the money back, as the package we bought was ATOL-bonded

At least I'm not stuck out there though, like others.

:(

Sorry to hear this.

Mrs E very busy last night and today - with the tunnel being down (arranging flights, hotels, etc) and now this (her agency's retail arm going into meltdown as people try to rearrange holidays, etc).

As a note of caution, they've had a few persons who assumed they had bought ATOL-bonded packages but have not :(

That's just crap luck....

I'm booking a holiday for next year summer hols - Florida, Disney with the OH and Her 10 year old Daughter.

After this latest collapse I've decided to book the whole shebang with Virgin holidays rather than piecemeal. Piece of mind is worth that bit extra, and I was actually pleasantly surprised with the overall deal.

Sorry to hear your news, hope you get the cash back.

Thanks guys, whats more gutting is that the other half persuaded me to upgrade to XLOne seats (the XL version of business class) which added a LOT more to the overall co$t!

I agree with mudster, I'll be sticking with BA/ Virgin from now on - peace of mind is priceless...

Girlie just got back form being on standby at Gatwick, not a happy or pretty place by all accounts

Sorry to hear about your troubles, you and 1000's more unfortunately.

I went to meet an XL flight at Manchester this morning and after fighting through the chaos found it had been diverted to Paris with no information about how and when the passengers would get home.
I have a lot of XL flights in my diary for as far ahead as next February so it could end up costing me dearly.

They also trade under the names

Cruise City, Excel Holidays, The Florida Skytrain, Transatlantic Vacations, Travel City Direct, Travel City International, Kosmar Holidays, Freedom Flights and Aspire Holidays

So if you booked with any of these you need to be contacting someone.

and XL Leisure Group Plc, XL Airways UK Limited, Excel Aviation Limited, Explorer House Limited, Aspire Holidays Limited, Freedom Flights Limited, Freedom Flights (Aviation) Limited, The Really Great Holiday Company plc, Medlife Hotels Limited, Travel City Flights Limited, Kosmar Villa Holidays plc – All in Administration (the Companies)

http://www.xl.com/

has more news and phone numbers etc

their employees have the contents of their crew room by all accounts

Thanks guys, whats more gutting is that the other half persuaded me to upgrade to XLOne seats (the XL version of business class) which added a LOT more to the overall co$t!

I agree with mudster, I'll be sticking with BA/ Virgin from now on - peace of mind is priceless...

Same with me, booked XL one seats for Florida next year with Travel City Direct. Now in the process of trying to get my deposit back.

Russ

Always pay for holiday related thingies with credit cards.
My 2c.
les

Hope you find another holiday.

Always pay for holiday related thingies with credit cards.
My 2c.
les

Except that Visa/Mastercard won't fly you home under the ATOL bond scheme - the CAA arrange for your flights and additional accommodation expenses until they can arrange for you to get home. That's why the ATOL scheme is important.

For example, if you've just arrived for your two week holiday what do you do? If your package is covered by ATOL you can continue your holiday and travel home. ATOL will also be picking up the tab for resort staff so there should be people around to help. However, if you've not got a package covered by ATOL then the hotel will be presenting you with a bill and there won't be many people in the resort willing/able to help you out finding a flight home.

Paying by CC can help, but getting your money back is not always the be-all and end-all of the situation. You're much better off going through decent agencies (but then I would say that, otherwise Mrs E will wallop me and consign me to the sofa... :crazy: ) and companies that are properly bonded.

"But the internet is cheaper" I hear you cry. She reckons 90% of the time she can beat the price or get you a better overall package - but that's the difference between an expert and a salesperson (and if you could let her know I said that, I could be in for a good weekend...:D ).

If you need any help in sorting out a replacement, send me a PM and she'll get the right person to get in touch.

Dear Mr E,
The original question stated that the gentleman concerned had not yet gone on holiday.
Under these circumstances, a credit card payment would protect against financial loss, and prior to departure that is the main risk that can be avoided.
Being stranded abroad doesn't apply in his case.

However, I do accept your point about the ATOL bond scheme which is useful if you have already departed.

Rgds

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom