My hood window split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
It's had a tiny crack a few mm long on each side for a couple of years so I knew it would need replacing at some point, but look what happened today :eek:

How did that happen?.... Through simply putting the hood up/down?

At least thats one less thing to worry about with the W124 cabriolet with its glass screen....

Yup, took the car out for a run and when I put the hood back up in the garage the window just went. Wasn't even a cold day today!

The hood itself is in good condition so I should be able to simply have the windows replaced. Hopefully the new ones will last another 16 years :D

Dave at d:class is your man :)

Can you replace these with a glass screen or would that hinder the folding?

I went to have a look at an E30 cabriolet and the owner ripped the hood in exactly the same place while showing me how it went up and down.

I found it hilarious and burst out laughing, but strangely enough, it didn't tickle him in the same manner.

Can you replace these with a glass screen or would that hinder the folding?

No as DM said it folds in the middle. The plus side being that it goes into a smaller compartment, so you lose less space.

Yup that's where I'd planned to take it - will be giving them a call tomorrow. Want to ask about retro-fitting heated seats too.

Dave fitted heating to the rear seats in my 203. Excellent job, in fact they got warmer, more quickly than the MB heaters in the front seats!

Bill I think they do two grades of plastic, one OEM and the other is not as thick. More expensive i think for the OEM, just depends on weather you want to stick to original.

Bill I think they do two grades of plastic, one OEM and the other is not as thick. More expensive i think for the OEM, just depends on weather you want to stick to original.

surely OEM is best .. will last longer and probably fit better too

surely OEM is best .. will last longer and probably fit better too

I'm not so sure. Slightly thinner plastic should fold more easily (particularly when cold), and potentially be less prone to cracking. I will talk to them about it.

I'm not so sure. Slightly thinner plastic should fold more easily (particularly when cold), and potentially be less prone to cracking. I will talk to them about it.

I was thinking that too....let us know what you decide.

Happened a few times here at work... this time of year always... I get them done here at Soft Tops in coventry, excellent workmanship.

Right, it's booked in at d:class on Monday.

The windows are no longer available from M-B. The ones they fit come from the same maker and are physically identical apart from there being no M-B stamp in the corner. Interestingly they are different thicknesses - 1.5 mm for the side ones, and 1.25 mm for the main central one. Total cost for this is £335 plus VAT.

I asked about heated seats. To do it with proper M-B switches on the centre console would be approx. £1500 :eek: Using aftermarket parts would bring the cost down to about £500, but really I would want it to look original so I've shelved this idea for now.

Right, it's booked in at d:class on Monday.

The windows are no longer available from M-B. The ones they fit come from the same maker and are physically identical apart from there being no M-B stamp in the corner. Interestingly they are different thicknesses - 1.5 mm for the side ones, and 1.25 mm for the main central one. Total cost for this is £335 plus VAT.

This will be the same ones that are fitted to mine. That reminds me, I need to sort out having the roof adjusted - the driver's side quarter window isn't folding up neatly.

I had a Z3 for three years and it neede 3 rear screens in that time.

I also had an MX5 years ago and that split !!! (it was very cold day) With the mazda I could have 'upgraded it for a glass rear window.
Is that possible on the SL or like the Z3 does the screen fold when you lowever it?

I remember being told to put a piece of foam ontop as you lower it...but un likley to do that every time... especially when I'm lowering it on the slip road coming off a motorway :)

There's a fold line across the middle of the screen, so glass is a no-go.

Not sure why you'd want/bother with a piece of foam though...perhaps something required by the lesser makes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom