My hood window split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ Apparently it was to stop it getting a line where it folds..

To be fair a plastic screen on an SL.... not sure which is the lesser car.. the Mk2 MX5 had heated glass :) :)

It's also 10 years newer, the roof is manually operated, doesn't have to worry about hiding itself away, and it didn't come with a standard hardtop for winter :D

Ironically we did convert our Mk1 to a heated glass screen when the original plastic died, but it made the roof a fair bit more faffy to operate.

Fair enough but I thought a Mk2 Mx5 was the same year aprrox? anyway they are at differnet ends of the price (or were)

I guess a new MX5 is aorund £25K now with electric hard top and a new SL around £75K ?

At the end of the day if its lasted this long its done well and not 'too' pricey to fix.

:)

My Mk1 MX5 had a plastic roof which was zipped in on 3 sides. Before the roof was folded down the zip was undone so that it did not fold when the roof was folded down. A simple solution to the problem I thought.

I remember being told to put a piece of foam ontop as you lower it...but un likley to do that every time...

Not sure why you'd want/bother with a piece of foam though...perhaps something required by the lesser makes?

^ Apparently it was to stop it getting a line where it folds..

A friend always used a rolled up towel. Seemed to work as it makes the radius of the bend much larger.

Yup as mentioned the windows have lasted 16 years so not too bad really. They are still completely clear too (never been treated with Hindsight or anything) - murky plastic windows seem quite common on older convertibles.

Of course the R129 is an 80s car ... the hood wasn't modified during its lifespan (AFAIK).

Got the car back from d:class ... excellent job, as expected :thumb:

David said the hood itself and all the other roof components were in perfect condition, which was good to know! I also had the under-bonnet insulation replaced while it was there since that was starting to perish in places.

So Bill, was it just 3 new windows, or a complete rear section?

I only ask because mine needs a new rear section, and £395 sounds like a steal!

They just replaced the 3 plastic windows - the hood itself was in good condition.

OK, thanks mate. Only ask because I will need a new rear section on mine (just put it back on the road after just over a year SORN, God, its good to be back in an SL)

My Mk1 MX5 had a plastic roof which was zipped in on 3 sides. Before the roof was folded down the zip was undone so that it did not fold when the roof was folded down. A simple solution to the problem I thought.

Same as the MGF, but no one ever unzips the window before folding. A real faff, specially if you have a windstop. My rear window was a real mess when I got mine, but luckily got a near new hood of an MGTF from a customer who called me out because his wouldn't start... free hood and a cup of coffee, biscuits too.:thumb:

I now have a window section going spare and an old Singer sewing machine. Watch the chaos "unfold" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom