My Journey to here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smitt

Car
E250 W207
So, this is a bit of a long story but it might help some members as it relates to my woes with the 207 that I bought recently and eventually cured all of its issues.

Loving a road trip as we do, the wife and I have been continental a few times, three years ago we went through Italy in a newish Jag XF 2.2, what a great car and we still have it now. Cruising at 90 – 100 all the way and it didn’t break a sweat, but we did because it was so hot. So we decide to get a rag top for the next year.

Last year I bought a BM 630 3.0 petrol, Off we pop through France – Spain – Andorra – France – Le Mans – Isle of Re – and again it went without a hitch and again we still have that car, but the fuel was a bit spiteful, plus it doesn’t have Sat Nav.

So now we are looking for a 2.2 diesel with Sat Nav, auto and soft top.

I had a SLK a few years back and I only drove it once, I hated it, it reminded me of an old TR4A or “upholstered roller skate” as they were called because of the terrible ride, so the SLK had to go.

One of my sons has a 66 plate C220 and it is lovely, so let’s go with a Merc then. After looking I bought a new shape black E250 W207 AMG style, and it is lovely, but it has a few little bits that need doing.

I like new tires so we need a set of them, the wheels are 19 with a 35 profile, Hmmmmmm too low for comfort driving, and when I took the wheels off two of them had been welded and one had a crack, so they have to go. I bought a set of S class 18s so I could put 40 profiles on them and they fill out the arches great and it handles superb. That was the easy bit.

It has a few dents and marks but I don’t care, it might have a few more by the time we get back.

ABS light is on, Near side rear, OK a new sensor and were done, yeah right. The original sensor was missing, this was a bit odd, when I put a new one on it wouldn’t drive, that wheel kelp locking up on the brakes after 10mph. I put a new ABS ring on it – same, I bought another Delphi Sensor – same, I have a snap – on diagnostic kit and once the sensor was OK the ABS was showing the ABS ECU was faulty.

I bought one and it made no difference, I bought another and same, one of the codes were [the vin number in the ECU differs from the vin number of the car].

I called MB Peterborough to ask “can you reprogram the ABS ECU to the car” ? – Yeah, no problem, was the reply. Err no, two days later they said it can’t be done and it needs a new ECU at £2k plus, Grrrrrr.

I called MB Kings Lynn, and they said, and I quote, “what would make you think that we couldn’t do this, we are a main dealership” – Great, see you soon.

Two days later, Ermmm, sorry but we can’t do it, it needs a new ECU at £1150. This proves that it pays to shop about and not all MB dealers are the same.

A week later we are told, come and get the car it is done. We go, the car isn’t done and they give me a loan car for a week. The next week they call and tell me it is done.

£1625 later I pick it up. I don’t even get it out of the car park.

The engine light is on, it is in limp mode, it won’t go into manual and the dash is telling me the washer bottle is empty, you would think that for £1625 they might put some water in it, I am really not amused.

I get it home and find the soot content is high so I give it a forced regen and now it is out of limp mode and driving fine.

I'll tell you all about the injectors and the head light another time. Sheeeesh.

Quite a tale, it passed a few minutes for me while loading, hope everything else goes smooth and you get away on another road trip :thumb:

A month on and I can report that we dont like this car, ( W207 new shape E250 convertible 2.2 Diesel) it is a hard drive, I still cant get the seat to where it is really comfortable, the roof squeaks ( I have to spray that to try to get it to be quite) it is showing 36.6 MPG but then I haven't re-set it and been on a motorway drive, mostly it has been local runs with a few half hour duel carriageway runs, it hates a bumpy road I cant say it is quick at all and it is slow to pull away almost jerky, but it looks the nuts.

The 2007 BMW 630I convertible is a far superior car, we expect the 3.0 petrol engine to be quicker but the whole car is better all round. this is a proper open top cruiser.

But, and here is the proof, Yesterday my wife went to a place about 50 miles away and she took the Jag ( 2012 XF 2.2 D)

The Jag is without a doubt a much better car to drive, its quicker, smother, more comfortable and we get better MPG.

Yes I know the Jag is a luxury saloon and you shouldn't compare the two, but when you can only have one car and you sell that and give all that money for a new shape Merc, you sort of expect it to be better than the car you just got out of. It isn't.

It's a bit late for me now as I bought this to do a continental road trip in a few weeks, but I am now thinking about a F type but I dont want to sell a kidney to buy a soft top so it'll have to be a coupe and that kind of defeats the purpose, but it might have to be.

My 20yo Son has a Audi A4 2.0d S line convertible and that is a better drive than the Merc.

I am thinking now that next year to do the road trip I might get a regular ( Audi - BMW - Vauxhall - Peugeot - Ford - Jap - Korean ) car and a newer Jag to use at home, hopefully the F type.

Having read this thread I am so glad we bought an SLK when we decided we needed a convertible!
Ride is fine, compares well with our previous ML on 20"" wheels, generally very smooth except over larger potholes ( which I try and avoid ). Even impressed with the boot space, even with the roof down, although my wife is having to learn to reduce the number of pairs of shoes she packs

I have never been a Merc man, I had an early 190 years ago and then a 300D and that was the nuts and it was about the early 1990's ?

The next Merc was 2006 SLK (mentioned above) and I only drive it once, we really didn't like that car.

I thought that by now they would have sorted the suspension issues out in the convertibles, but I am not seeing it.

My 2008 CLK cabriolet rides like a cart on rough roads and the roof squeaks. Seems they did t sort it in the next gen cars. Disappointing to hear. All of that said, I love my CLK but only on sunny days with the roof down. It never gets used in the winter / cold wet days. I take our Audi A6 in preference.

I do understand the need for a stiff, planted sports car for the track or even the occasional spirited drive up the road, but how often do we do this ?

Never for the regular driver, 1% for the nutter drivers and maybe - MAYBE 10% for the thrill seekers.

That means for 90+ % of the time normal drivers have to suffer a bad ride even to the degree of selling their car and warning others not to buy one.
This is another time where MB cocked up - I think.

I am a Toyota / Lexus guy and I have a few SC430's and I am telling you they cant be beat for driving.

Forget what Hammond and the Oath said, because they tested these cars when they were new in 2001, and the suspension was changed (recall) and now they are easily the best driving convertible I have ever driven. I would definitely have another.

But they are a bit cramped for long road trips.

Well I bought another SC430 but its an early one and its long in the leg and has a few tech issues so it can sit here.

So, we are here at last, its Tuesday and we are oft to Croatia on Saturday and this is the reason why I bought this car, "The road trip".

The Route - Wisbech to Folkestone, The train to Calais - Through Brussels (Don't want to stop there) - into Germany, Past Frankfurt, past Nuremberg, into Austria, through Slovenia an into Croatia, then back through Italy along the cost to Venice, then up (or down) to Liechtenstein into Switzerland to a little ski resort we went to on our honeymoon, then trough Geneva back into France then cut across France to La Rochelle (cos HID likes it there) then home via Nantes - La Mans (because I like it there) then Rouen - Abbeville and then Boulogne to Calais.

The thing is as I have said before, I already dont like this car so I am hoping someone drives into it at Calais on Saturday so we can turn around and come home.

This car is for sale the minute I get home and I am going to go for the BMW 430d convertible it boast 50+ mpg and that'll do me plus it has got to be a better drive than this "thing".

I will let you all know how I get on.

We had a 2008 facelift SLK200 and had it for seven-years. Drove all around the UK including 'spirited' drives with the good folks of SLKworld. Went to LeMans twice and a trip to the Dolomites and back via Belgium, Germany, Austria on the way down and Austria, France, Luxembourg, Belgium on the way back. Very comfortable car, ultra reliable too, never missed a beat in the years we had it.

Different strokes folks...

I can guarantee that your 430d won’t do 50mpg plus at the speeds you travel at, I have a 535d that’s meant to do 50mpg plus and it averages 32mpg according to its computer, maybe 37 38 mpg on the motorway.

We had a 2012 e class cabriolet in se spec and it was a great car, would average mid 40 mpg and had a very smooth ride (17 inch wheels). The seat was a bit hard but other than that it was very nice

Just returned from our 2019 road trip:-
Home to Luxembourg
Luxembourg to Innsbruck
Innsbruck to Florence via Stelvio Pass
Florence to Rome
Rome to Lucca
Lucca to Avignon
Avignon to Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris to Home
Driving close to national speed limits. Mixed motorway/A & B roads, Cities & Alps pass. Average 48.7 mpg over the whole trip.
Road trip 2019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom