My Lap Around the Nurburgring in a AMG GT R 'Beast of the Green Hell' + Interview With Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2 Weeks ago, I drove over to Germany to the Nurburgring for the 2nd time. During the trip I had a Co-Pilot/Passenger ride in the 'Beast of the Green Hell' - The AMG GT R.

The trip was originally planned and booked for my birthday back in March (a rather significant birthday) as a present to myself, a couple of nights at Apex hotel (Followers of Misha's YT channel will know where I mean) as well as a Lap in the GT R.

Due to Covid-19, this was cancelled of course until I had a chance to go mid July, then onto Bruges afterwards.

Below is the video of my lap. It was staggering, terrifying and amazing. Im used to going fast but this was another level - as you will be able to see from my reactions etc. Heading from Flugplatz to Schwedenkreuzat 264kph then hard breaking was unforgettable.

Stay tuned until the end where I attempt my very first interview on screen. I think it went well except I forgot to switch on my external Mic. I was so 'high' on adrenaline and overwhelmed that I had no idea what was going on. 5 hour drive + 15mins to spare, straight into a 7:20 Lap and then an interview.

(Nurburgring have given me permission to use this footage on YouTube)

I hope you enjoy it, my Lap in my CLS63 AMG and a short film of the entire trip coming soon.

VIDEO HERE:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for watching!
i8lHJUE.jpg

Last edited:
2 Weeks ago, I drove over to Germany to the Nurburgring for the 2nd time. During the trip I had a Co-Pilot/Passenger ride in the 'Beast of the Green Hell' - The AMG GT R.

The trip was originally planned and booked for my birthday back in March (a rather significant birthday) as a present to myself, a couple of nights at Apex hotel (Followers of Misha's YT channel will know where I mean) as well as a Lap in the GT R.

Due to Covid-19, this was cancelled of course until I had a chance to go mid July, then onto Bruges afterwards.

Below is the video of my lap. It was staggering, terrifying and amazing. Im used to going fast but this was another level - as you will be able to see from my reactions etc. Heading from Flugplatz to Schwedenkreuzat 264kph then hard breaking was unforgettable.

Stay tuned until the end where I attempt my very first interview on screen. I think it went well except I forgot to switch on my external Mic. I was so 'high' on adrenaline and overwhelmed that I had no idea what was going on. 5 hour drive + 15mins to spare, straight into a 7:20 Lap and then an interview.

(Nurburgring have given me permission to use this footage on YouTube)

I hope you enjoy it, my Lap in my CLS63 AMG and a short film of the entire trip coming soon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for watching!
i8lHJUE.jpg

Jeez. Can't believe how that things builds speed & maintains it. I saw it at 266km/h at one point - 164mph......

266 at the most dangerous section of the track. The braking was what terrified me, Carbon Ceramics. :D

What an experience, i'd love to do that but i'd probably be throwing up after the first corner. Price not too bad considering the expense of running such a beast.. The closing speed on some of the other (quick) cars is scary, but they all seem to be aware of other cars and move over.

What an experience, i'd love to do that but i'd probably be throwing up after the first corner. Price not too bad considering the expense of running such a beast.. The closing speed on some of the other (quick) cars is scary, but they all seem to be aware of other cars and move over.

Yeah it was a private track day luckly only 30 other cars for the 13miles, and not the Public TF session so everyone knew whats what.

Check out the speed the White Boxster whizzes past at the very start, and we catch it up after 20secs or so. :D

Last edited:
266 at the most dangerous section of the track. The braking was what terrified me, Carbon Ceramics. :D

Made it look incredibly narrow. He was also carving past tourists like they were standing still. Must have been carrying 60 or 70 mph more than a few of them.

Made it look incredibly narrow. He was also carving past tourists like they were standing still. Must have been carrying 60 or 70 mph more than a few of them.

They werent Tourists, it was a private event :)

Yeah it was a private track day luckly only 30 other cars for the 13miles, and not the Public TF session so everyone knew whats what.

Check out the speed the White Boxster whizzes past at the very start, and we catch it up after 20secs or so. :D

Ah, that explains. If the slower cars had been unaware that could have gone horrendously wrong.....I did wonder; there was no room for error...

Sounds fantastic! I’ll look forward to watching the video later 👍🏻

All cars perform better than most owners could comprehend, including very fast cars. Not just better-than-expected acceleration, but more likely handling & braking performance.

But when you put a very fast car in the environment it was designed and built for, and then put a professional driver at the wheel, then the result is breathtaking.

The Beast of the Green Hell isn’t just a natty marketing strap line, it was designed to to suit exactly that kind of driving, anywhere else (including the road) it’s compromised!

I remember having a fast road drive in a CLS 55 AMG with a professional fast road driver at the wheel, it’s natural habitat, and the way it covered ground was awe inspiring.

Sounds fantastic! I’ll look forward to watching the video later 👍🏻

All cars perform better than most owners could comprehend, including very fast cars. Not just better-than-expected acceleration, but more likely handling & braking performance.

But when you put a very fast car in the environment it was designed and built for, and then put a professional driver at the wheel, then the result is breathtaking.

The Beast of the Green Hell isn’t just a natty marketing strap line, it was designed to to suit exactly that kind of driving, anywhere else (including the road) it’s compromised!

I remember having a fast road drive in a CLS 55 AMG with a professional fast road driver at the wheel, it’s natural habitat, and the way it covered ground was awe inspiring.

I remember doing laps of the Lotus track at Hethel in an Elise, gradually building up speed.

Then I got taken round in a pro in a racing Exige on slicks. The difference was astounding.

Cool experience and story Karl. To be honest I'm not the best passenger, so part of me is envious and part of me definitely is not.

I sat in with the former Simtek F1 driver Domenico "Mimmo" Schiattarella for few laps of the Fiorano circuit in an F430 a few years ago. These guys are just at another level for sure.

Last edited:
I was so worried about getting there on time, if I had the camera equipment set up correctly (I didnt know they had their own on board cameras) etc, that I didnt even think about what I was doing.

You can see the exact point when I realise, oh **** this is going to be dangerous :D roughly 3:06 in. :D

I couldn't help noticing just how much your head/ upper torso was moving about in comparison to the driver. Like Formula 1 drivers I expect your neck muscles were getting a full workout?

I noticed just how much your head was moving about in comparison to the driver. Like Formula 1 drivers I expect your neck muscles were getting a full workout?

Yeah they did alright :D I know the track inside and out, must have done over 1000 laps on PC in VR, so I could also predict the major turns, however it made no difference. You dont have the danger or the G Forces on a computer.

Check the G Force meter at the bottom:

1597419499589.png

This shows which way you are being pulled, further from the centre the worse it is :)

7:33 - Very close call with the barriers!

Yeah they did alright :D I know the track inside and out, must have done over 1000 laps on PC in VR, so I could also predict the major turns, however it made no difference. You dont have the danger or the G Forces on a computer.

Check the G Force meter at the bottom:

View attachment 100820

This shows which way you are being pulled, further from the centre the worse it is :)

7:33 - Very close call with the barriers!

I just re-watched and paid attention to the G Meter.

Jeez. At time he's pulling massive lateral G's at 100mph+.

At 4.50 it goes from max G RHS to mak G braking to max G LHS. Mental.

Other notable mental-ness happening at 5.15, 5.50, 8.17 (180kmh and MASSIVE G's), 8.41 (kerbs - oof!) & 9.29 (140k + G's)

Insane.

I've done several laps of the ring in my old cobra albeit on tourist days, so good lap times an impossibility. That does look great fun although I'm not normally a good passenger. Congratulations on having a very good birthday present!

Looks like a wonderful trip and I had no idea you could book such things. Great video, thanks for taking the time to create and post it :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom