My (latest) Car Buying Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
I like to get a bit verbose at times and as Im laid up with a terrible chest infection coupled with bruised ribs (steroids and horse sized antbiotics, I fainted twice coughing) feeling sorry for myself I still managed to sell the SL and buy the (but not see or receive) the E500 Cab.

Two things made me question my car policy (I have 2 cars, one family and one treat), tax and insurance for both of nearly £2k pa and wanting to take my kids out in the weekend car.

As ever my man logic said a 4 seater cab is the way to go and its documented here that I am a fan of the Maserati Grancab, however the Sport edition is the one I would have to have (burble burble) but its £84k used and I dont have that cash so I looked at other options from Audi, BMW et all before knowing i needed an E500 Cab - rare, desireable and relatively cheap.

Ok so the SL has to go, underwrite it at WBAC £16.4k it cost £31k 2.5 years ago, but I am confident it will go as its blue and has the nice wheels and good history, I was right the first person to see it bought it at the price it was offered on here £21,450 I was ill on the friday he came to see it but hadnt at that time collapsed and we went for a test drive and sealed the deal. He came to collect the following friday and I had to force myself in absolute agony to go to the bank with him and he did the transfer that was instantaneous no hassle but i felt like I didnt care, just have the keys lol but such a nice man and I think he appreciated the meticulous manuals, maintenance receipts and bunpf folder and even magazines that accompanied the sale (and the past 6 MOTs). Note my plate was left on and he signed an agremement to put it on retention with myself as the grantee and I gave him £105 to do so, I know the chap is trustworthy such a nice man.

As it burbled gently down the road I knew a good car had gone and the last time I would have a 55k engine (MB`s best engine IMHO).

Ok its gone with a gaping hole in the garage, I detailed in another thread here what my fixed price / use policy will be for the next two years, this is brought about by the fact big petrol kit is losing money faster than ever but i will not be buying a diesel or a small engine anytime soon BUT I do need a get out. So I decided £15k should get the use of the E500 cab, three for sale (now none for sale) in the Uk so I approached MB dealer first, £34,990 I want to give you £15k and use it for 2 years please and give it you back - yes sir that will be £19,500, why? says I and its down to MB having no resale faith in the product valuing it at £14k at 5 years (it cost near £60k) so phone down and same request to JCT600 Bentley in Newcastle, Yes sir that will be £15,400 - thank you you have an order please tell me the spec and tax info etc.

Car was owned by a Bentley regulars wife done 10k in 3 years and is taxed and motd for 10 months, it has DAB, Distronic, HK, Airscarf, Comand and reversing camera. ISSUE to note it comes with a third party warranty that I cannot accept I needed a Tier 1 for peace of mind and respect to them they did this at NO EXTRA COST - pleased. Also they are (so far) a delight to deal with and a class above the BMW urchins I got the 760 from.
I have bought my last 4 cars blind (maserati, SL, 760, CL500) and had no issues but the BMW was collected in the dark and rain and had been "run into" in the car park plus the prep was shameful it cost near £5k in warranty work to get it up to scratch and £750 of bodywork.

Anyway right now Im still ill and we are going to Center Parks tomorrow for 4 night a much needed break, I am nervous but seeing the doc before I go to see if they can increase the steroids / painkillers. So car will be collected week after next after 3 bloody trains to Newcastle I guess :crazy:
the drive back will be nice.

As this is the first car i have financed since I left regular employment in 2005 and in the salary field its something like £6500 (the min you earn to get your NI credit) any extra is a dividend. It will be interesting t see if the credit gets approved on salary or nett worth - I have no idea.

More as it happens, the car is still on trader if anyone wants a look, black with red leather.

Thanks for reading ;)

Last edited:
FYI my credit was approved on my total net income (salary + div) so I'd be surprised if you have any issues.

Get well soon and enjoy the break.

Dave, off topic but I'm currently on my third episode of fractured ribs in the last 10 years.

You can buy a Velcro type belt to wrap round your chest to help prevent the ribs moving dramatically when you cough (but it's not good to wear it all the time).

Alternatively roll a big bath towel into a long sausage and selotape each end. Then wrap it round your chest and pull very tight when you think your going to cough, will work wonders.

Dave you have my very sympathy over your ribs.
I had major surgery 6 weeks ago (9.5 hours !) which involved breaking ribs. I have never known such crippling rib pain afterwards once the epidural was "switched off". Morphine, Tramadol, and Paracetomol barely touched it.
The good news though is that it does slowly wear off. Initially I had a rubbish hospital physio who forced me to move causing such pain that I couldnt breathe, speak, or move. A different physio took a different route and I was soon moving better.
My message is to try to gently keep on the move, trying to find a middle route that allows healing while preventing everything from stiffening up. It took two weeks before I could get out of bed unaided but then things improved. Gentle hobbling about was good for mind and body !
I am now 6 weeks in and just have a gentle ache rather than feeling like I have been hit by a train.
The best piece of advice from the physio was to not try to gauge progress by looking back to yesterday but to look back a week or so. Progress with this will have its good and bad days.
Good luck matey

One VERY VALUABLE piece of advice I was offered by a rather attractive probationer nurse [ rather than the consultant!] while lying in casualty after a big car collision was that a problem with patients with bruised or broken ribs was stagnant tidal air Patients with broken ribs tend to breath in a very shallow manner meaning all air was not fully expelled from the lungs leading to stagnant air and possible infection. Her tip was despite the pain to consciously take several deep breaths in and out!! every half hour to help prevent this. Worked for me. :thumb:

FYI my credit was approved on my total net income (salary + div) so I'd be surprised if you have any issues.

Get well soon and enjoy the break.
Surprisingly, so was mine. My salary is LESS than my dividends and I spent the whole of my trip in Sardinia wondering if they'd approve me (no previous credit EVER!) - but they did so I think anyone can get it! :D:D

PS_ get well soon!

Missus off to center parcs today, Ive been looking forward to it for ages but cant go, hopefully later in the week Ill feel better. Bit of a wake up call to try not to be a fat 50 methinks. Its not the chest infection its the ribs and the chest infection - a lethal combo.

Surprisingly, so was mine. My salary is LESS than my dividends and I spent the whole of my trip in Sardinia wondering if they'd approve me (no previous credit EVER!) - but they did so I think anyone can get it! :D:D

PS_ get well soon!

I take it you guys are using dealer finance then? My last 3 new cars have been financed through merc and I haven't been asked to declare my salary. In fact this time they didn't ask anything and just asked me to sign the papers as they know I work for myself as a consultant etc.

J.

Bentley so VWFS I guess, I don't have a lot of credit history recently and pay my card in full every month which doesn't help.
We shall see, I have my last 3 years divis available if needed.

Yes it is - hope its not got an issue? :)

Nope not as far as I know. They've been in business many years mainly as a Porche dealer. They opened a Bentley dealership a few years back at a new place up the road but in the last couple of years they've moved everything on to the one site.

If you need any directions or help let me know as it ain't the best place for public transport

I take it you guys are using dealer finance then? My last 3 new cars have been financed through merc and I haven't been asked to declare my salary. In fact this time they didn't ask anything and just asked me to sign the papers as they know I work for myself as a consultant etc.

J.
No, PCP done through MB Finance. Actually, oddly, the deal is through the corporate department (the number plate even has MB Corporate on it) so I think the lease company I used put their private deals through as business. Very clever as I'm paying the corporate price, not the personal one. :)

Ok I'm a lot better now, not 100% but ok to go and collect the E500 on Wednesday. Only one direct train to Newcastle is at 6.15(!) but rather that than change twice and fight for seats - first class £50 - yay.

Finance went through with £7k salary declared (I must have a good reputation) one thing I do have is a huge credit card spend that never gets paid off so that may stand me in good stead, it's the one we use for our Adwords and I collect the points as a (tax declared) perk.

Once here ill get serious selling the 760, not many about and it's the only car I have had three upward notifications from WBAC it's up to £11,800 now from £11,100 this makes me think £12,995 is a fair price whilst it has BMW warranty.

I'm looking forward to the trip back, as a 21 year old I did a delivery route in my van of Liverpool to Newcastle and all around in one day - it will bring back memories of breakfast at Leeming bar services if its still there.

760 sold tonight for £13k - over book but a lot of quality car for the £

Well done on the sale. So what is likely to replace it? :)

Nothing for a few years, I wasn't using the SL so the E500 was intended to do the job of 760 and SL combined which it is capable of. Looks aside its limo smooth, plenty fast and I can get two baby seats in the back.

I was offered £10k px, £11,380 from WBAC so I've not done too bad.

Someone got a bargain.

Its being resold by a local dealer, i guess they will put it up for £15k ? classic cars wirral if anyones interested

Shame it went to a dealer. I'd have given you more than that and kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom