My M156 Engine Mods - Future Proofing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my girl is a 58 plate so no warranty and I skipped the last service at merc was done at mike mb of medway!!
I think depending what the price is to have it modified I'll leave it for now and keep an eye on it !!!:)

Speak with Acid at MSL he is doing mine then Jims E63 we are both putting the weistec studs in which are rated for 1000bhp.

Lee C63 said:
Speak with Acid at MSL he is doing mine then Jims E63 we are both putting the weistec studs in which are rated for 1000bhp.
without any disrespect to acid I think he does a awesome job and is probably one of the best amg tunners along with Paul and Andy at Eurocharged but I only allow mike at mb of medway to touch my car internals!!:)

Thanks for your video, John :thumb:

And yes, that rattle was very evident and unmistakeable.

Problems regarding the M156 engine have spread over many forums like wild fire.

But in reality it is a very small percentage of engines that have been effected.

You can give yourself grey hairs with all the stuff that is blown out of proportion on forums. This is sadly one of the downsides to forums. They can mislead if you're not careful.

I was actually chatting to a techie earlier today and spoke to him abou the M156 engine and the reported problems. I'll also be speaking to another one tomorrow.

He confirmed that they are slightly noisey and alittle lumpy by nature and that this is normal.
He said that he has never come across an M156 engine that has suffered the head bolt issue and has only come across one engine with the harsh rattle upon start up. He said that this is more likely caused by being hammered with little sympathy.
The car he had that had the rattle was an ex Brooklands car, so you can image the abuse that must have had.

John, chill, I'm not trying to panic you! Pretty sure your car didn't come from Brooklands! lol

Same here rash!!!!:D

John, chill, I'm not trying to panic you! Pretty sure your car didn't come from Brooklands! lol

Just think how many AMGs will have come from Brooklands or the predecessor drivers training events at MIRA!

My C63 went in for this job and the dealership called me back on it yesterday to say that they are of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with the car and that the noise (which they admit is there) is coming from the left bank cam adjuster as it's the last part of the engine to achieve oil pressure after sitting at idle for a while.
They will do the job under warranty but are saying if they replace the cam tensioner that it could still make the noise/do the same thing.

On one hand I'm thinking to tell them to go ahead and do it anyway but on the other I'm wondering if I should leave it until next service and see if it gets any worse or actually becomes a problem. This assumes I will pay to keep the tier one warranty though.

What would you guys do?

No brainier get it replaced any new part Free gratis is a bonus especially from a dealership :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom