My mate Dave the Spaniel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
Lost his fight with cancer this afternoon aged 9.

PICT1289.jpg

I miss him deeply, but I enjoyed every day I had with him. Good memories.

I hate to hear of this sort of thing.

I've had my new best mate for only 6 months or so and dread what you're going through.

Stay strong.

Really sorry to hear that pal, I was (still am) devastated when we lost Seth to cancer, the pain does get better with time.

Best thing we ever did was go and get another, I felt like an odd shoe until we had another dog in the house.

So sorry to hear that. Dread the day when we have such a void in our family. Try and focus on the good memories.

He looks gorgeous, sorry for your loss :(

So sorry to read this. A small comfort is you gave him an amazing home/life and your memories will last forever. (AND he had the best doggie name ever!)

Ant.

Lost a few dogs over time and always difficult to get over :(
Thoughts are with you & 'Mrs Red'

Matt

Really sorry to hear that pal, I was (still am) devastated when we lost Seth to cancer, the pain does get better with time.

Best thing we ever did was go and get another, I felt like an odd shoe until we had another dog in the house.

I don't mind admitting I cried like a child as I held him as he passed away.

We have another dog (Milo) so we don't have the eerie silence in the house at least.

Really sorry for your loss.
I am a really concerned about high death rate because of cancer and lack of information of causes and possible solutions.
Are we poisoning our dogs with food we are giving them or something else is making them ill?

That's very sad news. It's always such a sad thing to deal with.

My dog Bruce really is my best friend and he's had some cancer removed from the top of his leg a few months ago, which hopefully they have caught in time - they think so.
He's around 11 now and has developed liver problems which we hope is under control with medication.
I've always dreaded the day when his time comes and if I'm honest, I really don't know how I'll handle that.

RIP Dave the Spaniel.

What a shame. Always sad when a pet passes away. They are a member of the family for so long. As said, remember the good times he had with you.

Are we poisoning our dogs with food we are giving them or something else is making them ill?

That's an interesting point.

I wouldn't like to eat dog food, so around six months ago I decided I would cook for our dogs. Minced beef/pork sometimes liver/kidneys but always accompanied with permissible vegetables. I asked our vet and she had no objections at all to the change in diet, so much so, that when having surgery for the cancer, they asked us what Bruce normally ate and actually went and bought minced beef for him during his 3-4 days of hospitalisation. The only proviso to the diet change was to ensure they dogs had kibble/mixer to aid the cleaning of their teeth.

Then came the liver problems - blood in poop is a pretty ominous sign, which may be totally unconnected with the diet change, or may well be an indication that, although the food we gave was good, it may well have been lacking in something that aids wellbeing.

The jury is still out on that one until Mr Bruce has completed six weeks on a diet that is for dogs with gastrointestinal problems. but he's is responding well to the medication and perhaps the special diet. Fingers crossed. We shall see.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.

I remember having to have a cat put to sleep due to cancer a few years ago - she was only 9.

I guess it depends whether an animal is just an animal to you or part of your family - for us it is the latter.

This of course makes it harder but more enjoyable in the good times.

Really sorry for your loss.
I am a really concerned about high death rate because of cancer and lack of information of causes and possible solutions.

Cancer has been around a very long time (I remember they found it in an animal preserved from a very long time ago) - I wonder if it is now things have become more sophisticated in the world of animal care that we are now finding out causes of mortality which gives the impression the issue has got work.

I apply the same logic to humans - how many people died in the past "just died" when actually they may have had the same rates as we have now.

:dk:

Not wishing to start a debate on it to detract from the thread but just being devil's advocate.

Very sorry to hear that; there are no words that can comfort you.
We have lost 3 in the last 8 years. Last one Lucy we had for 16 years.
Now have 10 year old JRT/Corgi who is a barrel of fun.

FOUR FEET By Rudyard Kipling

I have done mostly what most men do,
and pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget if I wanted to,
Four Feet trotting behind,

Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four Feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round,
Which I shall never find
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four Feet trotting behind.

So sorry to read this. Losing a family pet is one of the saddest losses - I hope you heal quickly from it.

It's amazing how integrated our furry friends get into our lives. I've lost a few over many years and still miss and think of them all. Many happy memories though, I sure yours will comfort you also.

Horrid to lose a much loved pet and it can be so difficult to adjust to the empty space in your life, time is a great healer and there will always be a place in your heart for him.

So sad when a treasured pet dies , they do become part of our lives I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom