My mechanic or Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
Do I use my trusted mechanic and loose my warranty on my new car, or use Mercedes-Benz.
The difference is £250 or £600 per service.
The downside is if something unfortunately goes wrong with the car (not likely) I would have to pay.

Are you sure it invalidates the warranty?

EU law states that Block Exemption means you can take your car to be serviced anywhere, as long as the parts used are equal or better in performance, and the service schedule is followed.

It would be up to the dealer to prove the work you had done caused any subsequent issue.

Just to clarify, my car was serviced by my inde and I took it back to have warranty work done subsequently with no questions asked.

Look into a service plan or use a Mercedes approved Independent and retain the warranty.

EU law states that Block Exemption means you can take your car to be serviced anywhere, as long as the parts used are equal or better in performance, and the service schedule is followed.

It would be up to the dealer to prove the work you had done caused any subsequent issue.

Just to clarify, my car was serviced by my inde and I took it back to have warranty work done subsequently with no questions asked.

Thanks for the info John, I may be wrong, I thought my salesman said you have to have the service here, so I will check on that, thanks

As John said, you don't lose your warranty if you service the car elsewhere (as long as it is serviced to the manufacturer's specifications and using original parts), but this does have the potential of causing difficulties with a claim.

As clk320x said, your best bet is a Service Care Plan.

You can still use your indie of everything else e.g. brake discs and pads (when due).

Thanks Mark, I will look in to this before making a decision, my chap would have to have all the relevant paper work for Mercedes-Benz

Do I use my trusted mechanic and loose my warranty on my new car, or use Mercedes-Benz.
The difference is £250 or £600 per service.
The downside is if something unfortunately goes wrong with the car (not likely) I would have to pay.
£600 sounds a lot for every service. What year is the car?

I thought my salesman said you have to have the service here, so I will check on that, thanks

I seem to remember a consumer affairs programme or similar where they undercover-recorded car sales people coming out with all sorts of bulshlit.

I doubt it is exclusive to the motor industry mind.

£600 sounds a lot for every service. What year is the car?
Car is new but with a 67 plate, my own plate was on retention at the time but is on now.....My CLS first service was free but I was given a quote of £600 in Nottingham.

Car is new but with a 67 plate, my own plate was on retention at the time but is on now.....My CLS first service was free but I was given a quote of £600 in Nottingham.
The first service is the cheapest you'll ever have as it's an A-service and there are no additional items, it really shouldn't be costing more than £300. I'd be asking a few dealers for their best price when the time comes.

If you're in that neck of the woods, around Nottingham, I recall MB Derby used to be up for a deal on service prices a few years ago.

Thanks BD, I will keep my options open and look around, as you say.
Cheers

I echo what Delayed Steve says above, if it is on the Agility PCP it should be serviced by a Mercedes Main Dealer as it is part of the terms and conditions and will also affect the GFV , I've always taken out a service plan when buying a new Mercedes.

Liam

All great supportive comments above! Remember a number of indies on here have access to the Mercedes Digital Service History System and each indie is required to ensure each service is completed in accordance with the Daimler AG specification. These services are recorded on the digital database and are seen/ recognised by MB, so this shouldn't put you off using an indie if it saves you a few pounds. Please do let us know what your T&Cs say?

If the car is on PCP or lease then it not your car and you might find that it's in the terms and conditions that its serviced at a dealership...
Thats the first question to be answered as if the car is on a PCP then only approved service centres are authorised to service the car and all approved service centres are in dealerships.

If the car is on PCP or lease then it not your car and you might find that it's in the terms and conditions that its serviced at a dealership...
No I bought the car from Mercedes-Benz Nottingham, it was a cash sale with no MATS as yet......

I have learned a lot from this post, many thanks all....what would we do without this Forum.........It's great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom