My mercedes sl300-24 - slr pic thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sharps

Car
1993 300SL-24
OK so I bought my SL300-24 in December, after having it looked over by my mechanic I so far have fitted a new distributor cap an arm, replaced the plugs, given it an oil service and off we go.

flat1.jpg

I've also given the car a machine polish and wet and dry inside, as well as a few leather feeds.

Car is fully complete with the original windguard too. Exceptionally well built cars these!
bright1.jpg

Thanks for all the likes so far, here is the full collection from that day!

I'll try and keep this thread updated with progress, and update with various jobs which I have carried out to the car to restore it back to it's original glory :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts on the car so far, this may help anyone thinking about biting the bullet and going for a R129...

This has to be one of the best value cars on the market at the moment, the build quality is in a different league to anything you can buy on the market today under £100k.

Video here is about the S-Class but gives an idea about late 80s and early 90s mercs, massive hydraulic set ups testing suspension components, launching cars off ramps.
The suspension on these cars are so heavy duty... These cars were designed and build in an era before CAD, and were the premium product of their day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gEVkFahYH4

Mine is now on on 140k miles and certainly doesn't show it.

Hydraulics control the seats and roof so they should stand the test of time. Forget about modern convertables with electric motors which wear out and need attention after 3-5 years, this is 22 years old and goes up and down as fast now as it did when it was new.

The 300 SL - 24 engine design is based on the 300 SL but with a 24 valve cylinder head. If you are buying this model, note that most of these cars will have had a head gasket replacement by now, get your car compression tested if in doubt to make sure the engine is good health.

There are issues with the main wiring looms in the SL-class cars, which can cause intermittant and difficult to trace faults, often requiring complete loom replacement (ouch!) This affects all models apart from the 300SL-24 which has different wiring.

With 230BHP it's more than capable of outside lane cruising on the motorway, and has a surprising turn of acceleration. It's also the most efficient engine (BHP/L) from all the standard R129s.

Beware of sub standard parts fitted by previous owners. When it comes to buying parts for your car remember 'buy cheap buy twice!'. Check parts from OEM manufacturers such as BOSCH or BREMI as this can be cheaper than Mercedes branded parts and should be the same quality.

:eek: CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES I NOW NEED AN ESTATE CAR :eek:

WILL SELL THIS BEAUTY OF AN SL FOR £3,000 OR PREFERABLY TAKE AN ESTATE AS A SWAP OR PART EX. PM ME WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, WILL BE GUTTED TO SEE THIS SL GO :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom