My new AMG! G55 AMG Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don’t think it’s more difficult to see if the coast is clear in a LHD car on UK roads? Say, if it’s behind a slow moving HGV? 🤔
Of course it’s more difficult.

Dangerous or ‘more’ dangerous. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Of course it’s more difficult.

Dangerous or ‘more’ dangerous. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Way more difficult. And opportunity to overtake safely is much more restricted vs RHD. Therefore frustration of being stuck behind slow vehicles, particularly large ones, will happen much more frequently.
Overtaking safely in a RHD is easy.

You don’t think it’s more difficult to see if the coast is clear in a LHD car on UK roads? Say, if it’s behind a slow moving HGV? 🤔
In a 'car' yes - sitting so high much less of an issue.
HGV is the only thing that can blight the view but if approached with a speed differential (probable as that's why you'd want to overtake it) then plenty opportunity to scope out oncoming traffic. Even relatively close to it on a twisty road you can see past it and over the hedges and spot your opportunity. Only if you drive right up behind it are you stuffed - and would be that close in a RHD also.
A combination of forward planning and deploying the V8 to good effect gets the job done.

Way more difficult. And opportunity to overtake safely is much more restricted vs RHD. Therefore frustration of being stuck behind slow vehicles, particularly large ones, will happen much more frequently.
We lived in Greece for 10 years and we owned 3 vehicles. A RHD, a LHD and a scooter and switched vehicles everyday.

I have a lot of experience.

Its something you just get used to

The way the UK is going it wont matter as everywhere will be 50mph

Disagree. No difference whatsoever. If you can't see to overtake in a lhd car you're driving way too close to the vehicle in front. I've had lhd cars for 40 years and never had a problem in overtaking. In fact I find it easier.

Disagree. No difference whatsoever. If you can't see to overtake in a lhd car you're driving way too close to the vehicle in front. I've had lhd cars for 40 years and never had a problem in overtaking. In fact I find it easier.
Ok we'll agree to disagree 😉

It's about angles of vision. On a long straight road, I take your point. But uk roads aren't always like that.

If there's no difference whatsoever, why do all countries have the driver on the opposite side to the side of the road they drive on? Because it's safer. Because you can see better.

Seems fairly simple to me. I don't doubt there's little difference in many circumstances, but clearly there IS a difference...

Woah thread hijack :)

It's never going to be as safe/easy as a RHD on our roads, the G is very narrow + high up, so it's not nearly as bad to overtake as you might think.

Doggo approves!

UpCh8OE.png

It's never going to be as safe/easy as a RHD on our roads, the G is very narrow + high up, so it's not nearly as bad to overtake as you might think.

Doggo approves!

Travelling
UpCh8OE.png
Yeah sorry about that 😬

That's one very content dog travelling in style 😎

Enjoy the G - look forward to updates!

Doggo approves!

UpCh8OE.png
Holy Christ. He looks lost in there. 😳

👏👏👏

Not sure how I missed this thread but congrats! LHD is fine, you get used to it quicker than you think. I'm sure once you've finished with some small mods, it will be even better. The great thing is that they didn't change the overall design for years and so upgrading some parts to newer versions shouldn't be too bad. Enjoy.

Congrats! Looks great.

Are there things that can be done to improve the handling somewhat, without costing the earth?

nice mota Karl, definitely a different direction from the CLS, but you cannot go wrong with a 55k engine.

Small update after 2 weeks.

Engline Light appeared on, connected up my scanner and the "Secondary Air Pump" had failed. The garage kindly send me a replacement out to me as I offered to fit it myself (otherwise its a 250mile round trip). This envolved removing the front headlight and wheelarch liner, this wouldnt be that much of an issue except I cant currently remove the front Bull Bar...! due to the G63 front bumper. it has me stumpt.

Its now swapped over and now all good:

1630050966481.png

1630051329700.png

On the subject of the G63 AMG front bumper, have another look at the picture above, note it has an intercooler/radiator covering the grill. This is a pair of fakes which are located behind the grill. otherwise there would be a large hole with the ground visible. A great touch IMO!

1630051117711.png

Had some Amazon Gift Vouchers from work, so got this beast for free, its a 3-Tonne Sealey Jack and its huge. double the size of a standard trolly jack and must weight around 40kg itself!:

1630051204960.png

Will be refurbing the calipers over the weekend.

Overall, its amazing how quickly you get used to LHD, yes overtaking can be dodgy however this offset by its amazing visibility and you can see right over normal cars.

Attention, I must say that I have never driven anything which grabs peoples attention like the G does, generally under 35s love it. I was getting a challenging McDonalds (being LHD) and I heard a teenager say "Thats a G, Thats a G wagen" only for her to go bright red when she realised that my window was down and I could hear her. I also have 'caught' a bloke taking a snap of it as I drove past. :)

Over 35s, ether ignore it, or glare at me :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom