My new beast.. BMW content

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The gearbox was just horrible, and just before some smart **** says your were not driving it correctly it was my 3d car with the Bmw SMG gearbox, And two of my friends who have had M5s also disliked the gearbox,

You AND your friends probably weren't driving it correctly :)

The M5 box is an automated manual, were your other SMG cars M5?

I dont think fuel is that bad so far ;-) Steady 14mile commute to work, pretty happy with that!

10505557_10152089564507062_2184321930477983567_n.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think fuel is that bad so far ;-) Steady 14mile commute to work, pretty happy with that!

10505557_10152089564507062_2184321930477983567_n.jpg

I have only managed to get 22mpg out of my CLS twice. Once was London to Aberdeen, the other time was freewheeling downhill for about a mile lol

Awesome, I think they are derestricted from the factory, 200+mph. Enjoy.

Apparently not, but de-limited ones are know for 200mph+

like these a lot.

once had great fun following one of these on the way to Calais (non motorway) in my CLS55 :)

Very nice indeed mate. 4 door was on my list when I bought the cls.
After 3 BM's I just fancied trying something else.

Funnily enough CLS was on my list when i went to look for an M5 also!

A few weeks ago I ordered an Audi A6 Avant Bi TDi Quattro. It will be the first car I'll have had for almost 10 years, which is not a silver Mercedes!

Sounds very nice indeed!

Love the black colour on this, don't see many black M5

I do like it, i didnt want to go for black again after the Mercedes but i saw it and had to have it! Especially with the red interior!

Nice motor! What's the reliability like on them? I've heard that the gearbox can be quite jerky at low speeds, is this something you've experienced?

I wouldnt say jerky, i would say, sensitive! But ive driven a few of them now and have learned to how to use it smoothly, takes some patience, but worth it!

ive taken out a fully comp BMW warranty so i should be covered should anything go wrong (touch wood)

Lovely car and one I'd love to have myself but the running costs put me off. Glorious engine. Enjoy:)

Cheers mate, Fuel has suprised me so far, it goes low when your showing it off, but got a nice 22mpg on the work run today, to compare this to the merc E350CDI i used to get 30mpg on the same run!!

I initially hated the Bangle design but it was matured very well.
Actually it's a classic trick.

What's happened is that some of the other Bangle designs - like the 1er, for instance - are so appallingly fugly that the E61 looks OK by comparison (sort of).

;) :D

1/ Did you not test drive it? A/ Yes, in the rain, Then changed the tyres for Michelin's that improved it but I still felt that it was not gripping the road as well as a lot of cars I had owned, it just did not inspire confidence.

2/ As for mpg, it's a 5ltr v10, what exactly did you expect? A/ Not 8 mpg average round town, 15 on run Not that I would have minded if I had liked the car.

3/ The gearbox was just horrible, and just before some smart **** says your were not driving it correctly it was my 3d car with the Bmw SMG gearbox, And two of my friends who have had M5s also disliked the gearbox, There are threads all-over about M5 gearboxes...

Perhaps my one was a bad one and I hope the ops car is all he wants it to be, to each his own.

Very stange indeed, my first test drive in an estate car, ex racing driver sat behind me, in the wet, traction off, giving me pace notes on a test drive, the car blew me away! i couldnt believe the levels of grip the car offered me and the control over the gears with the SMG is awesome.

Ok its not the best auto on the market, but its not supposed to be driven in auto! Its supposed to be used with the paddles!

Think that looks the dogs, very understated.

I initially hated the Bangle design but it was matured very well.

S

I love it too! very understated from the front, suprised a GTR on one of my test drives, he was wondering how he couldnt shake this 5series estate off! :rock:

Well, I like it a lot :thumb:

Always had a soft spot for inconspicuously looking estates, with the nuclear power plant for the engine.

:D Cheers mate

Agree 100%. My exact issues.

I kept the E39 M5 as that was a better car. 25mpg on a run, 15 when hooning. Still got it now.

Always loved the E39 too, had a 530i sport once, lovely car! But i wanted to try the E60 this time round!

I had a saloon, got written off :(

Fuel consumption - you say that and you drive a C63 or a Micra?
Grip - outstanding, far far better than my C63. That's why I wrote it off aquaplaning thinking it's indestructible.
Gearbox - agree in town but you need to know how to use it, always drop to 1st when coming to a standstill at lights. Out of town, it's perfect.
Looks - I loved it, many manufacturers copied the design.

Not good at all, but i agree with you ive found the handling awesome ,and on a wet test drive as above once it blew me away!

Apparently not, but de-limited ones are know for 200mph+

Jeremy Clarkson tested one that was good for 175mph unlimited, not sure if this was just the press car or wether all estates were blessed with a higher limit!

like these a lot.

once had great fun following one of these on the way to Calais (non motorway) in my CLS55 :)

Cheers mate, i cant wait to have a play with some AMG counterparts on the road :D

Ok its not the best auto on the market, but its not supposed to be driven in auto! Its supposed to be used with the paddles!

I want one again!

I found it most rewarding to use the gear lever, think like you're driving a manual (which it is) but you just don't press the clutch. Makes you feel great.

I want one again!

I found it most rewarding to use the gear lever, think like you're driving a manual (which it is) but you just don't press the clutch. Makes you feel great.

After getting used to the car this is also now my favourite way! Can sometimes be difficult to pull the paddles with the wheel at certain angles ;)

Great to hear you are enjoying the car, it is very special.

Question to anyone: why does the gear lever go left/right on a Merc instead of forward/back when driving in manual mode? Is it just to be different, doesn't make sense?

1/ Did you not test drive it? A/ Yes, in the rain, Then changed the tyres for Michelin's that improved it but I still felt that it was not gripping the road as well as a lot of cars I had owned, it just did not inspire confidence.

2/ As for mpg, it's a 5ltr v10, what exactly did you expect? A/ Not 8 mpg average round town, 15 on run Not that I would have minded if I had liked the car.

3/ The gearbox was just horrible, and just before some smart **** says your were not driving it correctly it was my 3d car with the Bmw SMG gearbox, And two of my friends who have had M5s also disliked the gearbox, There are threads all-over about M5 gearboxes...

Perhaps my one was a bad one and I hope the ops car is all he wants it to be, to each his own.

I'd agree with you about the SMG gearbox in the M3, that is the worse gearbox I've ever had the displeasure of driving; it managed to be diabolical at everything while giving you whiplash in the process.

But the SMG III in the M5 was really good I thought, especially when you compare it to the woeful 6 speed SMG.

Hi Guys

Some of you may know that i have been on the hunt for a nice E63/C63 estate to call my own, after buying a E350CDI estate just 6 months ago, and frankly getting bored with it! (lovely car, just wish it had 500bhp!)

I couldnt find a car within my budget once again so i instead opted for a BMW!

So here it is, my new E61 M5 Tourer! Super rare, and rather quick!

5 Litres of Glorious V10 loveliness!
Send me an MP3 and I'll be your best friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom