My new Beetle .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
I have been absent for a while, at least in posting terms, but I have been popping back on a frequent basis to see what has been happening. I heard that MBClub was starting a ‘Beetle chapter’!

Since I sold my CLK55 last year I haven’t really had another toy, I did consider an M5 at one point but the running costs would have been too great (at the time!). I bought and ran an Octavia vRS TDI for a few months earlier this year ( surprisingly good), but have been looking for another ‘special’ car. I did consider an SL500, ordered then cancelled a new Z4, but eventually I was seduced by Stuttgarts finest.

Inspired by Palmballs’ thread with his new Beetle...I thought I would share with you my latest acquisition

It’s a “sensible” four wheel drive, perfect for the oncoming winter months. There are a few ‘unsensible’ things about it; PSE for one and the 355bhp flat six another.

I started off looking for a 996 C4S Cab, but ended up with a 997. I drove a couple of C2S Cabs, came close to buying a silver C2S but decided I wanted a dark colour. This one ticked the vast majority of boxes; 2006 Carrera 4S Cab in Basalt Black with black leather, it had a factory hardtop (rare for a 997 cab), C4S Cab, manual box, PSE, PCM2.1, Sports Seats, rear park assist, 19” Sport Designs, heated seats, embossed headrests, rain sensor/auto wipers, multi function wheel and top tint. The only addition I would have liked was Sports Chrono.

I went down the OPC route, more expensive but worth it for the peace of mind and the two year OPC warranty. This car had over £4200 in prep, major service, discs/pads all round, RMS changed and new clutch. It’s a 56 plate, 29000 mile car.

It may not be 997 Gen 2 Turbo territory (like Andrew's) but I am looking forward to my first foray into Pork ownership.

Here she is, a few pictures taken in the showroom and a few from the Pork OPC advert. To say I am looking forward to collecting it would be an understatement. I pick it up in 8 days time.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Not another one!

What is going on!

Lovely car though..... Good choice.

That`s very nice,I bet it sounds lovely to

that is lovely.. love the wider body o the 4s.. just sets its apart.. looks purrrfect!

Almost common on this site these days....

:)

Enjoy the car, I would be planning a european trip for next year in that, roof down and some superb alpine roads...

:thumb: Thanks all.

That`s very nice,I bet it sounds lovely to

Porsche Switchable Exhaust was a must. They sound, errr, rather nice

Congrats :) looks lovely.

Just needs colour centres now :)

Funny old thing, just what I have been thinking, they want £110 for coloured wheel centres, I think it would be worth it though. It has a hardtop as well, so I also need a cover and stand, unfortunately my negotiating skills failed to get me that lot thrown in!

that is lovely.. love the wider body o the 4s.. just sets its apart.. looks purrrfect!

I agree, it is only 44mm wider than a standard Carrera, but it looks more. Rear tyres are wider too, at 305 width vice 295.

Thanks for the post . I look forward to hearing in a few months time how you find the car and whether Porsche are everything they're made out to be.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a 996 earlier this year. I was ultimately scared by the potential ownership costs and wondered if they were just too fast for today's UK roads and policing.

PSE does sound rather nice (forward to 40s to avoid annoying music)
[YOUTUBE]nz4gIUPmLdY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Lovely car !

I suppose an enthusiasm for such machinery might be described as 'Beetle-mania' :D

:
Funny old thing, just what I have been thinking, they want £110 for coloured wheel centres, I think it would be worth it though. It has a hardtop as well, so I also need a cover and stand, unfortunately my negotiating skills failed to get me that lot thrown in!

Seemingly the porsche dealers are notoriously tight , ive seen the price of the centres before , worth it IMHO. Something else thats also good is the porsche keyring for about £15 its a red porsche calliper and a spinning disc :) definite bargain in that domain :)

Thanks for the post . I look forward to hearing in a few months time how you find the car and whether Porsche are everything they're made out to be.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a 996 earlier this year. I was ultimately scared by the potential ownership costs and wondered if they were just too fast for today's UK roads and policing.

I have to say that ownership costs intially scared me too. I decided on the safe route to ownership by going to a Porsche Centre, used cars come with two years Porsche warranty, and with the prep work this car has had, coupled with two year service intervals and my expected low miles (less than 6000/year) I am hoping for manageable and predictable running costs.

Insurance was £480, which is OK for a 180mph Group 20 car. Tyres are c£260 rear and c£160 front which is not too bad, Minor service is about £550 with brake fluid change, but not due till Jul 12. A full set of pads and discs on a 4S is about £1600 fitted at an OPC, this one has had new brakes all round - thankfully.

I honesty don't believe it Peter...I get a Porsche thinking it would be a bit, well, special, rare, exclusive :dk:

Then I find Bald Guy has one and now you - it's like the C63....as soon as I get one, the whole world appears to have one! :D

There should be section this forum called 'Off-Topic - MB Defectors to Porsche'. It'd be buzzing!

actually looks like a beetle from the front..

I honesty don't believe it Peter...I get a Porsche thinking it would be a bit, well, special, rare, exclusive :dk:

Then I find Bald Guy has one and now you - it's like the C63....as soon as I get one, the whole world appears to have one! :D

There should be section this forum called 'Off-Topic - MB Defectors to Porsche'. It'd be buzzing!

At least I could stretch to metallic paint :p

Nice car mate, enjoy it and in the summer with the roof down you will have a lot of fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom