MY new BMW. Possibly the finest non silver car in the world.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't that the compromise though? They've setup the suspension for a runflat so it works well whereas they hadn't previously?

But if the car still out handles and is more comfy than the competition it is not a compromise, it is innovation.

I was the biggest anti runflat owner out there, I have owned 5 BMWs with runflats and they all came off within a week or so.

However, the idea of being able to get a flat on the motorway at 70mph and not even notice other than a warning on the dash, and being able to make it home on a cold wet winters night without having to swap a wheel or my wife having to call the AA out, really appeals.
I would however not compromise the ride for the above.

But now it seems you don't have to.

My point was that it's not a factor of suspension design being at fault as suggested but a mismatch in spring/damper/sidewall stiffness. If the adaptive damping on the F30 works with both runflats and normal tyres then thats innovation - if it's just tuned to runflats then it's no different than before.

My point was that it's not a factor of suspension design being at fault as suggested but a mismatch in spring/damper/sidewall stiffness. If the adaptive damping on the F30 works with both runflats and normal tyres then thats innovation - if it's just tuned to runflats then it's no different than before.

All suspension is a compromise. On every car ever made. If suspension was a digital right/wrong lots and lots of people in F1 and every other motorsport would be unemployed.

I get that you are not impressed with your runflats but if you put modern non run flat tyres and rims on an E type it wouldnt make it better unless you changed the suspension to suit.

Run flat tyres are a good idea - safety wise. The fact that BMW now have sussed how to set the car up to reduce/eliminate the pain points but keep the plus points is to be applauded.

One day they will be mandatory - just as airbags / abs / seatbelts are.

Sounds appealing. I've yet to experience a bearable run flat setup but its reassuring that it's out there. One of the problems I faced was not just the ride but also the tyre roar. Is that still a factor?

Wonder how the car would change by now swapping to normal tyres? Would it be even better?!

Can conventional tyres be put on the run flat rims or do you need to change the wheels as well? The Bm is a lovely colour by the way!

I used to borrow very occasionally a BMW Z4 with runflats. Ride seemed fine.

Does this car have the same handling magic as the E90 or is it less dynamic more comfortable.

An estate version really would tick the boxes and be an alteternative to a W205 or that CLS SB which I fear will be too big.

Can conventional tyres be put on the run flat rims or do you need to change the wheels as well? The Bm is a lovely colour by the way!

Yeah, no problem.

You can't put a run flat on a non EH2 rim (Extended Hump 2) but most rims these days are EH2 anyway, whether designed for run flats or not, it helps keep a tyre on the rim if there is a blow out.

Does this car have the same handling magic as the E90 or is it less dynamic more comfortable.

An estate version really would tick the boxes and be an alteternative to a W205 or that CLS SB which I fear will be too big.

In standard M-Sport mode it is pretty much as dynamic as the E90, in fact handling is probably a smidge better, the only down side is the steering, has slightly less feedback.

If you choose the active set up (£575 before discounts) then you have pretty much M-Sport in sport mode, soft as a W204 elegance in comfort and really firm in sport+.

M sport or the active set up. I like firm cars.

Does the active include the 4 wheel steer? Not keen on the idea.

No, that is a separate option.

I'd find it hard to live with ours if it was my every day drive. It's a M-Sport with 19s and very solid at urban/pootling speeds.

However. Start pushing it and it feels a lot better (which almost seems counter-intuitive).

I suspect that your mode is pushing it:thumb:

larger pic's as requested.

426443_10151488897904603_1768516880_n.jpg

So I have had the car just over 2 weeks now..

It has covered 2700 miles and over that period has averaged 52.4 mpg.

During that time it has been to Central London, traversed M1 M3 M4 M5 M6 M27 M40 M42 M56 M61 M62 M65 M66 M67 M69

I have to say the adaptive M suspension is a joy, the Active cruise is a real boon and I am very glad that I went for the 18" over the 19's. Not for ride comfort as the adaptive suspension has it covered. Simply prefer the look, prefer 5 spoke to 7.

I love my interior - it never fails to make me smile, love the exterior the M-Sport styling and EBII just works.

What would I change?

Ideally it could be a little bit faster - but couldnt everything?

I cant really critisise beyond that.

I'd find it hard to live with ours if it was my every day drive. It's a M-Sport with 19s and very solid at urban/pootling speeds.

However. Start pushing it and it feels a lot better (which almost seems counter-intuitive).

I suspect that your mode is pushing it:thumb:

I've had a couple of punctures last year and was thankful for the RFTs. I'd have been in trouble without them. You do have to check the pressures religiously often though.

Looks great! Did you not go for the intelligent lighting pack? One of the best features on the new model :)

Looks great! Did you not go for the intelligent lighting pack? One of the best features on the new model :)

Nope, fairy lights dont interest me on a car that spends a high portion of its life in daylight on motorways. Never paid for Xenons, I dont value them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom